44%
Pete Rose
21%
OTHER - Write-in your choice
6%

Total votes : 34

The All-80's Team - NL 1B

Postby ironman » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:53 pm

Just a reminder that when voting that you should be considering their performance in the 1980's only. What they did in the 60's, 70's, 90's, 00's is not important here. Without further ado here are your candidates.

Bill Buckner - Almost everyone knows the fateful tale of the Mookie Ball in the 1986 World Series. What some of the younger folks may not know is that Buckner had some great seasons in the early 80's for the Chicago Cubs. He made one All-Star appearance in 1981. In 1980 he led the NL in AVG, in 81 he led in doubles, singles in 82, and doubles again in 83.

Jack Clark - While Jack did play primarily OF in his early days with San Francisco, his years at 1B with St. Louis are probably most memorable. A two-time All-Star with the Cards, Clark was a major slugging force in leading them to two NLCS titles in '85 and '87. In 1987, Clark led the NL in OBP and SLG.

Will Clark - While Will was only getting started in the late '80s, those seasons are among some of his best. Making the All-Star team in 1988 and '89, Will was solid at the plate and helped the Giants to the World Series in 1989, winning NLCS MVP along the way. Clark led the league in RBI and BB in 1988.

Glenn Davis - Davis may not be a household name, but he provided a solid bat for the Astros in the mid-to-late 1980's. The two-time All-Star won the Silver Slugger Award in 1986, the same year he helped Houston to a NL West title.

Andres Galaragga - Before his homer-crushing days in Colorado, Andres was a young phenom up in Quebec. Equally solid with his glove as he was at the plate, Galarraga won a Gold Glove in 1989. In 1988 he led the league in hits, doubles, and total bases as well earning an All-Star nod.

Steve Garvey - While his prime was in the decade before, Garvey still had some great seasons in the '80s. He made the All-Star team four times, in 1980 & 81 with LA, and 84 & 85 with San Diego. Garvey was a big part of the Padres NL Championship season in 1984.

Keith Hernandez - Ah to be a young 1B in the handlebar moustache heydays of the '80s. You couldn't follow baseball in the 1980's without knowing Keith. Defensively, Keith dominated the decade, winning 9 gold gloves. Keith made 4 All-Star appearances for the Cards and Mets and helped both those teams win a World Series.

Pete Rose - Despite the humiliating end for him in the latter part of the decade, the early 80's were quite good to Pete. A World Series ring with the Phillies in 1980, eclipsing the all-time hits record, and being a part of 4 All-Star teams is enough to give Charlie Hustle a mention here.

Apologies to Leon Durham and Jason Thompson. Al Oliver didn't make the cut because he only had one productive season in the '80s. Pedro Guerrero was left off because he played more at OF and 3B in the 80s than at 1B. The bulk of his games at first were with St. Louis in the early '90s. If there are any glaring omissions please feel free to shout and throw things at me.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:43 pm

I had to go with Keith Hernandez even though I hated him when he was with the Mets.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:15 pm

i wanted to go with glenn davis, as he was a carrying force with the astros in the mid 80s but i had to go with hernandez... those gold gloves did it for me....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:25 pm

Pedro Guerrero

Every player (save Keith Hernandez) on the list were either half decade players (Will Clark, Garvey, and Davis) or really not all that good (Buckner and Galarraga).

Pedro was a 5 time All-Star in the 80s, a WS co-MVP, and put up the best offensive numbers of the group while playing in the LA chasm. Hernandez is a somewhat close second, and those two are head and shoulders above the rest.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:44 pm

Tavish wrote:Pedro Guerrero

Every player (save Keith Hernandez) on the list were either half decade players (Will Clark, Garvey, and Davis) or really not all that good (Buckner and Galarraga).

Pedro was a 5 time All-Star in the 80s, a WS co-MVP, and put up the best offensive numbers of the group while playing in the LA chasm. Hernandez is a somewhat close second, and those two are head and shoulders above the rest.
Guerrero played a grand total of 297 games at 1B in the 80's. That's not even 2 seasons. Not enough to be my 1B of the decade.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby ironman » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:08 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Tavish wrote:Pedro Guerrero

Guerrero played a grand total of 297 games at 1B in the 80's. That's not even 2 seasons. Not enough to be my 1B of the decade.

Yeah I'm not denying Guerrero because of his stats because he certainly had better numbers than some of those guys. If you look at games played at each position in the 80's Guerrero played 289 games at 1B by my count, compared to 519 at OF and 370 at 3B.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:16 pm

Hernandez wasn't perfect, but he was the clear choice as far as I'm concerned.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:46 pm

Pedro Guerrero and Keith Hernandez were good, but what about Eddie Murray? I don't think you can leave his name off this list...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:11 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:Pedro Guerrero and Keith Hernandez were good, but what about Eddie Murray? I don't think you can leave his name off this list...

Murray should get a lot of love when it gets to the AL 1B.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:14 pm

Tavish wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:Pedro Guerrero and Keith Hernandez were good, but what about Eddie Murray? I don't think you can leave his name off this list...

Murray should get a lot of love when it gets to the AL 1B.

Ohhhh, this is NL only, nevermind then...

O:-)
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball History