Burnett in NL only league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burnett in NL only league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Burnett in NL only league

Postby BigMusky » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:08 pm

He brought this idea up specifically, but it generally applies to other players. Anyone ever try and pick up a guy really cheap because everyone thinks he is jumping to the other league and actually have it pay off for them by the guy staying in the NL? Just wondering if this ever worked for someone, or if it is just a waste of time.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Danimal » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:44 pm

I'm in a NL league. Yes, I've picked up prospects whose name is being bandied about for trade. But in our league, weekly transaction requests are based on standings. So this strategy usually only works if you are low in the standings and the owner with the main player (being shipped to the AL with my prospect) in the trade is up higher in the standings.

I suppose that's clear as mud.

8-o
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby with_pleasure » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:48 pm

I just traded Burnett for Derek Lowe straight up. I don't know if the guy is aware of the trade rumors and wants to risk it, but I think I got a steal.
with_pleasure
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:12 am

BigMusky - I've only played in mixed leagues, but it does sound like a good idea to take advantage of a worried owner. With a guy like Baez, who's almost guaranteed to be traded, it might not be such a good idea. But as for Burnett...it's certainly possible that he'll be traded, but with Beckett's health uncertain at best, I don't really think the Marlins can afford to lose Burnett if they hope to make the playoffs this year.

Still, there are enough teams interested that there's always the risk of a trade. So basically, I obviously wouldn't give his full value, but if you can steal Burnett for garbage like Derek Lowe or something like that, then jump on it.

:-D

(That was partly a joke, but honestly, if you think about how few trade rumors actually end up coming true, I'd personally rather chance it with Burnett than have a high-WHIP, low-K pitcher like Lowe.)
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:47 am

I'd be concerned about Burnett regardless of league format. I have him in both my money leagues, and I'm starting to shop him because I don't like the prosepects of him pitching at Camden or in the Bronx. :-o

I just can't see any redeeming value to him going to the AL. Sure, the Yanks should win more than they have, but with the way new pitchers have been throwing there the past few years (see: RJ, Loaiza, Pavano, Brown, Wright), I have zero confidence that he'll be the exception. And Camden in the hot summer months is no picnic.

I'm not saying, by any means, that he's simply a product of Pro Player... er, Dolphin Stadium, but I'm selling high on him across the board.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Burnett in NL only league

Postby Arlo » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:42 am

BigMusky wrote:Anyone ever try and pick up a guy really cheap because everyone thinks he is jumping to the other league and actually have it pay off for them by the guy staying in the NL? Just wondering if this ever worked for someone, or if it is just a waste of time.

Sure, this can work out very nicely. It's all a question of risk versus reward. The only question is how you define 'really cheap'...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers