WORLD VS USA ALL-STAR GAME - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WORLD VS USA ALL-STAR GAME

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WORLD VS USA ALL-STAR GAME

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:48 am

are we ever going to see this happen. i know the world cup of baseball is supposedly going to happen in the near future. hopefully, this will get interest up in the concept. i really think the players would start to play the game less like an exhibition and more like it was used to be played
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:52 am

Just so sick of US vs World anything. We are so freaking arrogant that we always feel the need to make it US vs. the World to prove how superior we are.

Oh but when NHL was doing its All Star Game, we woudl get our butt kicked without Canada so we made the teams North America vs World. :-t
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:55 am

well the all star game needs something because it is a joke right now.
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rirruto » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:26 am

I think a skills competition would be fun to watch; running the bases, throws from the outfield to home, things like that.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby WharfRat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:33 am

I'm really looking forward to the Baseball World Cup. I'm a closet soccer fan, and one of the things I envy is that soccer is such a global game, in EVERY country, whereas baseball is "limited" to the Western Hemisphere and Japan, pretty much. I think baseball is the superior sport, although soccer is terrific too, but I'd love to see a real soccer-style international system and governing body develop for baseball. You could have a World Cup tourney where it really means something to the world, and people are as passionate about it as they are about soccer (dare I say "baseball hooligans"?), as well as regional tournaments, where there's an American tourney with North and South America, and a North Atlantic tourney with what you'd think of as "NATO nations," and things like that. Playing for your city in the States is one thing; but playing for your country is even better, I think. A guy can dream.... :-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby reznorsboy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:02 pm

The World Cup is gonna be fun for sure ;-D

Go Canada!! Beware Gagne should be ready by then!!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tokugawa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:05 pm

WharfRat wrote: I think baseball is the superior sport, although soccer is terrific too, but I'd love to see a real soccer-style international system. You could have a World Cup tourney where it really means something to the world, and people are as passionate about it as they are about soccer

Never going to happen!!!!
The nature, history and meaning of the games is totally different.

Getting back to the nature of the thread, what do you expect from an All-Star game? It's a chance for overpaid guys to flaunt their egos and celebrate their bigness in front of the nation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is it really supposed to be competitive. I thought it was a game for all the best palyers to play together and play a relaxed game for the public. It doesn't mean anything really so why risk injury.

One way to make it more exciting (this is for all you idiots who beleive in the contract year hype) is to offer the players much bigger contracts if they play really well, surely then we would see a good games and players playing hard right?

The All-Star game is nothing more than a glorified photo shoot and that's what it is supposed to be.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:09 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
WharfRat wrote: I think baseball is the superior sport, although soccer is terrific too, but I'd love to see a real soccer-style international system. You could have a World Cup tourney where it really means something to the world, and people are as passionate about it as they are about soccer

Never going to happen!!!!
The nature, history and meaning of the games is totally different.

Getting back to the nature of the thread, what do you expect from an All-Star game? It's a chance for overpaid guys to flaunt their egos and celebrate their bigness in front of the nation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is it really supposed to be competitive. I thought it was a game for all the best palyers to play together and play a relaxed game for the public. It doesn't mean anything really so why risk injury.

One way to make it more exciting (this is for all you idiots who beleive in the contract year hype) is to offer the players much bigger contracts if they play really well, surely then we would see a good games and players playing hard right?

The All-Star game is nothing more than a glorified photo shoot and that's what it is supposed to be.

it should be played hard bc that is the way it used to be played when guys actuakky cared about what league they played for. of course, this was before the free agent era and when sports writers just about made as much as the ball players themselves.
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tokugawa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:14 pm

uucrook3d wrote:it should be played hard bc that is the way it used to be played when guys actuakky cared about what league they played for. of course, this was before the free agent era and when sports writers just about made as much as the ball players themselves.

Exactly back in the day when baseball was first and foremost a game, and the players measured success by winning not the size of their pay checks.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tokugawa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:14 pm

uucrook3d wrote:it should be played hard bc that is the way it used to be played when guys actuakky cared about what league they played for. of course, this was before the free agent era and when sports writers just about made as much as the ball players themselves.

Exactly back in the day when baseball was first and foremost a game, and the players measured success by winning not the size of their pay checks.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers