WORLD VS USA ALL-STAR GAME - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WORLD VS USA ALL-STAR GAME

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WORLD VS USA ALL-STAR GAME

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:48 am

are we ever going to see this happen. i know the world cup of baseball is supposedly going to happen in the near future. hopefully, this will get interest up in the concept. i really think the players would start to play the game less like an exhibition and more like it was used to be played
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1552
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ESPN Radio in Nashville

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:52 am

Just so sick of US vs World anything. We are so freaking arrogant that we always feel the need to make it US vs. the World to prove how superior we are.

Oh but when NHL was doing its All Star Game, we woudl get our butt kicked without Canada so we made the teams North America vs World. :-t
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:55 am

well the all star game needs something because it is a joke right now.
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1552
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ESPN Radio in Nashville

Postby Rirruto » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:26 am

I think a skills competition would be fun to watch; running the bases, throws from the outfield to home, things like that.
Image
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2525
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Mezzanine Section 12 @ Shea

Postby WharfRat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:33 am

I'm really looking forward to the Baseball World Cup. I'm a closet soccer fan, and one of the things I envy is that soccer is such a global game, in EVERY country, whereas baseball is "limited" to the Western Hemisphere and Japan, pretty much. I think baseball is the superior sport, although soccer is terrific too, but I'd love to see a real soccer-style international system and governing body develop for baseball. You could have a World Cup tourney where it really means something to the world, and people are as passionate about it as they are about soccer (dare I say "baseball hooligans"?), as well as regional tournaments, where there's an American tourney with North and South America, and a North Atlantic tourney with what you'd think of as "NATO nations," and things like that. Playing for your city in the States is one thing; but playing for your country is even better, I think. A guy can dream.... :-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3056
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Walking my fish

Postby reznorsboy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:02 pm

The World Cup is gonna be fun for sure ;-D

Go Canada!! Beware Gagne should be ready by then!!
Image
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2617
Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park

Postby Tokugawa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:05 pm

WharfRat wrote: I think baseball is the superior sport, although soccer is terrific too, but I'd love to see a real soccer-style international system. You could have a World Cup tourney where it really means something to the world, and people are as passionate about it as they are about soccer


Never going to happen!!!!
The nature, history and meaning of the games is totally different.

Getting back to the nature of the thread, what do you expect from an All-Star game? It's a chance for overpaid guys to flaunt their egos and celebrate their bigness in front of the nation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is it really supposed to be competitive. I thought it was a game for all the best palyers to play together and play a relaxed game for the public. It doesn't mean anything really so why risk injury.

One way to make it more exciting (this is for all you idiots who beleive in the contract year hype) is to offer the players much bigger contracts if they play really well, surely then we would see a good games and players playing hard right?

The All-Star game is nothing more than a glorified photo shoot and that's what it is supposed to be.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 168
Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:09 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
WharfRat wrote: I think baseball is the superior sport, although soccer is terrific too, but I'd love to see a real soccer-style international system. You could have a World Cup tourney where it really means something to the world, and people are as passionate about it as they are about soccer


Never going to happen!!!!
The nature, history and meaning of the games is totally different.

Getting back to the nature of the thread, what do you expect from an All-Star game? It's a chance for overpaid guys to flaunt their egos and celebrate their bigness in front of the nation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is it really supposed to be competitive. I thought it was a game for all the best palyers to play together and play a relaxed game for the public. It doesn't mean anything really so why risk injury.

One way to make it more exciting (this is for all you idiots who beleive in the contract year hype) is to offer the players much bigger contracts if they play really well, surely then we would see a good games and players playing hard right?

The All-Star game is nothing more than a glorified photo shoot and that's what it is supposed to be.


it should be played hard bc that is the way it used to be played when guys actuakky cared about what league they played for. of course, this was before the free agent era and when sports writers just about made as much as the ball players themselves.
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1552
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ESPN Radio in Nashville

Postby Tokugawa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:14 pm

uucrook3d wrote:it should be played hard bc that is the way it used to be played when guys actuakky cared about what league they played for. of course, this was before the free agent era and when sports writers just about made as much as the ball players themselves.


Exactly back in the day when baseball was first and foremost a game, and the players measured success by winning not the size of their pay checks.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 168
Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tokugawa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:14 pm

uucrook3d wrote:it should be played hard bc that is the way it used to be played when guys actuakky cared about what league they played for. of course, this was before the free agent era and when sports writers just about made as much as the ball players themselves.


Exactly back in the day when baseball was first and foremost a game, and the players measured success by winning not the size of their pay checks.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 168
Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Sep. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at Atlanta
(1:35 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Cleveland at Minnesota
(2:10 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Seattle at Houston
(2:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(3:35 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(8:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact