Worst luck you've ever had... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Worst luck you've ever had...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:12 pm

GiantFan666 wrote:
JTWood wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Playing poker, lost a hand with four 8's against someone elses hand of four 9's.

I once flopped a straight flush (clubs) in a heads-up round of Hold 'Em. The straight went through ten, and I went all in when the board paired the nine on 4th street. My opponent called, and I was thinking he had another flush or maybe a boat. He flipped over a pair of 9s and laughed all the way to the bank.[b]

Ummm shouldn't he have cried all the way to the bank to take out more money? A straight flush beats 4 of a kind.

Yeah, I'm thinking that something is not quite right there... :-?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:23 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
GiantFan666 wrote:
JTWood wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Playing poker, lost a hand with four 8's against someone elses hand of four 9's.

I once flopped a straight flush (clubs) in a heads-up round of Hold 'Em. The straight went through ten, and I went all in when the board paired the nine on 4th street. My opponent called, and I was thinking he had another flush or maybe a boat. He flipped over a pair of 9s and laughed all the way to the bank.[b]

Ummm shouldn't he have cried all the way to the bank to take out more money? A straight flush beats 4 of a kind.

Yeah, I'm thinking that something is not quite right there... :-?

Hmm... maybe I just had the flush. That must be it. I know that the 9 of clubs I was using was the same card that bit me in the butt.

Man, that comment shows just how much poker I play, huh?

:-B
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Re: Worst luck you've ever had...

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:35 pm

davidmarver wrote:I just played the most frustrating game of backgammon in my entire life. The person I was playing against needed four straight rolls of high doubles (needed 2 of double sixes, other 2 could have been either 4's or 5's depending on the order) and needed me to not roll doubles once. So, I'm sitting pretty right? Sike! The guy I'm playing rolls three straight double sixes and ends the game on double 4's.

Now that may not be the worst of luck I've ever had, but it's pretty close. That said, I want to hear your unlucky stories...

i didn't know someone actually knew how to play backgammon. :-o :-b i remember when i was a kid...almost every year on my bday i would get one of those 3 in 1 game box with checkers, chess and backgammon and i wondered why they even bothered to include backgammon in the box...no one knew how to play it anyway. :-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:25 pm

I just had a pretty unlucky weekend.

My wife's employer informed her she has 2 weeks for maternity leave on Friday. "Period. End of story" was the quote given to her. They do not have to abide by FMLA due to loopholes. Not a big deal really due to the fact she was planning on leaving anyway - but being emotional and pregnant she didnt need to be treated that way.

On Sat. it was my nephews BDay party down in DET. My car'd alternator dies overnight and we dont get on the road until 1p (party started at noon). By 3p we had driven 20 miles on the express way - literally 20 miles in 2 hours due to construction and traffic jams. We turned around and went home.

We arrived home to find our central air had died. I got to spend the rest of the weekend fighting 90 degree heat in my house with a 2 yo.

Sat night my wife is in the shower, and Im in the living room with my daughter. I go into the kitchen to get a glass of soda. I hear a blood curdling scream and run back into the living room to find my baby had tripped and busted her chin on the table - blood everywhere - looked like a zombie. It was the first time either of us has seen her bleed. It turned out to be nothing big - but even still for first time parents it was a bit traumatic.

On Sunday our Clothes Drier died. We ended up finishing the laundry at the cleaners.

We are fine now - everything is fixed and/or replaced - but damn it was a long weekend that just seemed as if anything that could go wrong - did.

Thats my unlucky weekend story. ;-)
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stevethumb » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:45 pm

Fireball Express wrote:Branch Rickey wrote:
Luck is the Residue of Design.

:-D
.......luck is preparation meeting opportunity
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby wkelly91 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:06 pm

Damn Cornbread, I thought my weekend from hell was bad....Here it is:

Easter 1980?

I go into work to make a deposit, on the way home my car cuts out at the bottom of an off ramp. I am literally 50 feet from a gas station but they won't come look at it..."Tow it" :-[

So I pay to have it towed 50 feet to the top of the ramp. Once inside the bay the two geniouses...and I use the term loosely...start replacing parts. They replace the battery, both cables, the alternator and probably would have gotten around to the engine had I not intervened. I was looking under the hood and noticed a broken wire on the opposite side of the engine compartment. Being the inquizative guy I am I connect the loose wire and....whalla! all lights come on! I find out later it's the horn-relay for gods sake. :*)

I take off...ten miles down the road the car cuts out. !+)

I open the hood and see that the battery cable has disinigrated and burned into the battery ruining both. So I call my co-workers and ask them to drive my other car from work where I was trying to sell it, meanwhile my wife to be waiting to go to easter dinner at the mother in laws, comes to meet me.

We are now sitting in the "Car for sale" waiting on wrecker #2 and that car dies. :~(

Thinking that the car needs a jump we wait on driver #2. When he pulls up I roll down my window "Hey can you jump this one, and tow that one" 8-o His look told it all.

I later found out car#2 had a bad fuel pump that coincidentally went bad at that very momment.

I missed easter dinner :~( ...but also missed the mother in law :-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Worst luck you've ever had...

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:50 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:
davidmarver wrote:I just played the most frustrating game of backgammon in my entire life. The person I was playing against needed four straight rolls of high doubles (needed 2 of double sixes, other 2 could have been either 4's or 5's depending on the order) and needed me to not roll doubles once. So, I'm sitting pretty right? Sike! The guy I'm playing rolls three straight double sixes and ends the game on double 4's.

Now that may not be the worst of luck I've ever had, but it's pretty close. That said, I want to hear your unlucky stories...

i didn't know someone actually knew how to play backgammon. :-o :-b i remember when i was a kid...almost every year on my bday i would get one of those 3 in 1 game box with checkers, chess and backgammon and i wondered why they even bothered to include backgammon in the box...no one knew how to play it anyway. :-D

Very good game to play; any mathematical game is my friend ;-D Made $250 in blackjack at Sycuan the other day :-)
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:15 pm

stevethumb wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:Branch Rickey wrote:
Luck is the Residue of Design.

:-D
.......luck is preparation meeting opportunity

Thanks coach... ;-7
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:53 pm

i traded for mark prior yesterday and started him today :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby daullaz » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:55 pm

I try to forget all the unlucky things that happen to me within an hour. It's how I make it through the day. Although I really should stop playing poker; there's too much luck involved for me.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk