Any athletes out there? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any athletes out there?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any athletes out there?

Postby da1chipo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:17 am

Well we all know we like to sit around at our computers and watch and deal with the pros, but which of us actually go out and do some of these things?

What sports do you play, and what level?

I played varsity soc and bsb this year for my high school. (Right defense, and 2B, LF, RF)
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:32 am

I was a three year Varsity starting goalkeeper for John Jay High School (NY) soccer. All-Section in 2000, All-State in 2001. Also a member of the 2000 Class A New York State Champions, ranked #2 Nationally at the end of 2000. I went on to play one year of Division I collegiate soccer at the University at Albany before deciding I couldn't keep it up and maintain grades worthy of staying in school. I also played baseball up until High School, two seasons of hockey when I was 11-12. I still play in various Mens Soccer Leagues in the Albany area, during the Fall/Winter.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby da1chipo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:35 am

bigh0rt wrote:I was a three year Varsity starting goalkeeper for John Jay High School (NY) soccer. All-Section in 2000, All-State in 2001. Also a member of the 2000 Class A New York State Champions, ranked #2 Nationally at the end of 2000. I went on to play one year of Division I collegiate soccer at the University at Albany before deciding I couldn't keep it up and maintain grades worthy of staying in school. I also played baseball up until High School, two seasons of hockey when I was 11-12. I still play in various Mens Soccer Leagues in the Albany area, during the Fall/Winter.

Not too shabby a resume. All this good goalkeeping talk makes me dread our upcoming season with basically no one to put there.
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:13 am

High school track and baseball
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:20 am

I haven't played any organized sports since Little League, but I still play a lot of different sports -- basketball, baseball, golf -- for fun and run 5+ miles 3-4 times a week. Don't know if that qualifies as being an athelete, though. :*)

There was a similar "Who plays baseball" type thread a few weeks back, but I'm too lazy to dig it up at 1:00 AM. O:-)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:38 am

Played basketball (PG, SG), Baseball (1B, 3B, a little LF & CF), and soccer (GK) in highschool. Was all-league in sophomore, junior, and senior years, and in baseball junior year. After my junior year, though, I gave up Baseball and basketball to focus on soccer because I knew I was going to be playing soccer in college. Played soccer my first two years in college, but an injury cut my second season short and I transfered the next year and didnt play again.

Now I get in a pick up hoops game every once in a while and play on a city league softball team.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby baseball6791 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:46 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I haven't played any organized sports since Little League, but I still play a lot of different sports -- basketball, baseball, golf -- for fun and run 5+ miles 3-4 times a week. Don't know if that qualifies as being an athelete, though. :*)

There was a similar "Who plays baseball" type thread a few weeks back, but I'm too lazy to dig it up at 1:00 AM. O:-)

yeah that was my thread (http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... s+baseball) :-b anyways... play travel team baseball - 2B,SS,C, and am hoping to make the high school team next year. I'm also going to be playing high school football this year. have played soccer and basketball in the past but never seriously got into them.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JTWood » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:53 am

Tennis. Lots of tennis. I was varsity 3 years in high school and went to Junior College on a full ride. I mostly played doubles in college. We went to nationals both of my JuCo years. My partner and I were the only ones to actually win a match at nationals my freshman year.

After JuCo, I played Div III for a year. I went 12-2 that year (both losses to the same guy) playing singles and 4-0 in doubles. We won conference for the first time in the school's 125+ year history. I made first team, all-conference.

I've also got a couple singles titles and a couple doubles titles from various city tournaments in the St. Louis area.

Lately, tennis has been hard to come by. I'm 27, and at 5' 8", 155 lbs., my body's is starting to show signs of not being able to take the stress of the game - at least at the competitive level. My serving shoulder won't stay in the socket anymore, and my backhand wrist ligaments keep getting sprained or even partially torn. It's very frustrating. I find out next week if I need an MRI on the wrist. I'm hoping for a pleasant ending.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:12 am

Swimming.

Waaaaaaayyyy too much swimming.

I was varsity for all 4 years in high school, almost got to state but could never get my big race in during districts. That was always frustrating.

I also used to play Water Polo. That was fun.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:53 am

I played 2B in baseball, guard in hoops, and defense in hockey. Unfortunately, that has turned into defense in deck hockey and pitcher in slow-pitch softball. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to General Talk