How do you like this strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you like this strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:12 pm

(In response to Baller)

Fantasy baseball is all about intelligence. Look at any trade out there. One manager is trying to outsmart the other. Look at live drafts, every manager is trying to intelligently figure out who is going to have a good year and who is going to bust. If a manager is dumb enough to start Chan Ho Park in that little league ballfield the Expos are playing in, they wouldn't win the league anyway. It takes some intelligence to win leagues that are competitive. Anyone can win a league where half the teams don't play. Talking up players happens all the time. You've never tried to trade a player and said something like "He's heating up right now" so you could unload him for who you wanted in return? All owners play head games in fantasy baseball. Since you seem to be new to this, you might want to get used to it.

(To JDH)

Hey, if he was dumb enough to do it, then I think you would have beaten him by the end of the year anyway.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Baller » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:15 pm

[ed.: No insults, please.]
Baller

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby thehat » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:57 pm

The only problem I see is that convincing someone to make a potentially stupid move can come back to haunt you down the road. The other owner might become very distrustful of anything you say...that might cost you a good deal someday. If you're a sharp manager that consistently wins or contends, other owners already have a built in fear that you know something they don't, making them reluctant to deal with you in the first place. Trying to cajole them into dumb moves can only compound the problem.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:58 pm

Baller wrote:
Why don't you try Strat-O-Matic baseball where you cannot cheat because the game is in the cards. Try managing a real team and seeing what you can do when you really have to make management decisions. If you have not heard of this game, look it up on the internet. It is old school, but a way better and more pure game than internet fantasy baseball.

Doesnt it use last years stats? So you arent trying to predict a players future, which is what fantasy does. And arent dice involved, making it somewhat a game of chance? Not knocking it, it has been around forever, but i wouldnt knock fantasy, where player projection, and player dollar values are everything.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby trippinonreality » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:27 pm

I personally don't see anything wrong with talking someone up (or down). Only a lazy owner would fall for something like that. People try to insert their own moral ideals into situations like these far too often. If the guy is not a newbie (and I'm assuming he's not) than what harm is it giving him distorted info?

He has the resources to check the situation out for himself just like anyone else with a computer would, the only question is will he take the easy road and just follow blindly or will he take the harder path of doing actual research?

To me the only moral question here is do owners who join leagues but don't preform to their fullest owe it to the legit owners to try harder as a league that is too easy is no fun.
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BankRoll » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:38 pm

Wow. There are a lot more pansies here than I thought. How is it any different then bluffing when playing cards? This is not even close to cheating.
BankRoll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LetsPlay2 » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:03 am

I agree that it's not even close to cheating. Just said IMO it was weak. Thanks for the pansy label.
LetsPlay2

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby wrveres » Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:55 pm

Baller wrote:If this guys knows less about baseball than you do, it is cheating.

WOW .. I don't even know where to begin on this quality statement ..
I think I will just leave it alone and let it stand on it's own genius..

Nevermind..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1144)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers