How do you like this strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you like this strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do you like this strategy?

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:54 am

I am in second place in my league right now, and I was talking to the guy in first place and I convinced him of the virtues of Chan Ho Park coming off the DL to start tomorrow and talked him into inserting him into his active lineup for a start in Puerto Rico tomorrow. That's one way to sabotage your opponent's ERA and WHIP.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LetsPlay2 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:10 am

This is just my first year in fantasy baseball, but I thought the idea was to win by making your own team better. Someone else's team becoming worse through advice you give that you believe to be bad just seems weak.

So since I have Vargas benched this week & have no Expos on my offense, I am forced to pull for Park to pitch a 27K perfect game.

And statistically, one poor outing by a pitcher is of little consequence over a full season, especially when weighed against the resulting ill will from your fellow competitor.

Having said all that, I wouldn't start a Ranger pitcher if he were playing my little league team at the old Polo Grounds.
LetsPlay2

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: How do you like this strategy?

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:02 am

jdh wrote:I am in second place in my league right now, and I was talking to the guy in first place and I convinced him of the virtues of Chan Ho Park coming off the DL to start tomorrow and talked him into inserting him into his active lineup for a start in Puerto Rico tomorrow. That's one way to sabotage your opponent's ERA and WHIP.

LMAO

I've done it .. I play in a league with my uncle .. and occasioanlly I can get him to take the bait .. Usually I'll start with trade chat that I know he won't be interested in, and when he ask's why ?? Drop the Ringer! Some line of BULL as to why you need to make a move and get this said "Ringer".. Last check he still has Blum on his roster .. LOL .. LMAO
And then I'll send the preverbial ... any day now just watch ... LMAO
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:35 am

I don't see a problem with this behavior. Anyone who drafts Chan Ho Park without realizing that he's a mediocre pitcher who becomes downright horrible in a hitter's park deserves to be taken advantage of.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby quickfingerz » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:38 am

Can't do that... In the two leagues that I care about, I could not do that at all. I only play with the best and they do not fall for such antics. Find some better competition.
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:15 am

I only did it because I made the mistake of telling him someone that I wanted to get off free agents tomorrow when a roster spot frees up and he went and grabbed that guy. So this is my way of getting him back for being such a jackass.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Baller » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:59 am

Play the game to the best of your ability, but do not cheat to get ahead.

Why don't you give it up and try to win without sabatoging the other teams in your league .
Baller

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:01 pm

I don't see how it constitutes cheating. All I did was quote him Chan Ho Park's stats from 1999-2001 and told him he might regain his form and could be a good start against the Vlad-less Expos.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Baller » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:04 pm

If this guys knows less about baseball than you do, it is cheating. You should not be telling anyone in your league who you will be picking up and who they should be playing.

You should just be doing your own thing and talking smack when you dominate without bending the rules.
Baller

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:07 pm

No, he knows just as much about baseball as I do if not more, but he never takes the time to check out stat splits and things that would tell him that Park has always been bad anywhere other than Dodger Stadium.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers