and you call Jose Mesa an unprofessional whiner? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

and you call Jose Mesa an unprofessional whiner?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

and you call Jose Mesa an unprofessional whiner?

Postby Cooner » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:45 pm

NY Times wrote:Sheffield Warns 29 Teams: You Don't Want Me

E-Mail This
* Printer-Friendly
* Reprints

By JACK CURRY
Published: June 30, 2005

BALTIMORE, June 29 - Gary Sheffield has always considered himself a tough street kid from Tampa, Fla., who developed into a superb baseball player by doing it his way. If Sheffield was pushed, he pushed back harder. Sometimes, he has pushed back even when he has not been pushed or has only been nudged.

Sheffield, the Yankees' right fielder, pushed back hard Wednesday after learning that the Mets had asked about obtaining him for outfielder Mike Cameron. In a blitz of a 10-minute interview before the Yankees' game against the Orioles was rained out, Sheffield repeatedly warned teams about the possible repercussions of acquiring him.

"I would never sit out," Sheffield said. "I would go play for them. It doesn't mean I'm going to be happy playing there. And if I'm unhappy, you don't want me on your team. It's just that simple. I'll make that known to anyone."

On Tuesday, Sheffield said that he would not join another team if he were traded and would forfeit his salary. After the trade discussions between the Mets and the Yankees were reported in The New York Post on Wednesday, Sheffield quickly changed his mind about possibly leaving. But he was adamant about being a divisive influence if the Yankees ever moved him.

"If I'm not happy, you don't want me on your team, period," Sheffield said. "That's just the way it goes. That's life. I have to deal with what they dish out, they got to deal with what I dish out, period. That's just the way it's going to be."

While Sheffield was issuing warnings here, the usually boisterous Cameron was mostly silent with reporters at Shea Stadium before last night's game against the Phillies. Cameron, who requested and received a Yankees cap during last year's interleague games, said he knew nothing about the trade discussions and deferred questions to General Manager Omar Minaya.

"I'm here to play baseball," said Cameron, who answered no questions and scooted past reporters.

Sheffield, who agreed to defer $13 million when he signed a three-year, $39 million deal with the Yankees before the 2004 season, said his words were intended to prevent potential suitors, including the Mets, from pursuing him. Sheffield said that the deferments were his concession to the Yankees, so, if displaced from the Bronx, he would seek a lucrative contract extension.

"I'll ask for everything," he said. "Everything. You're going to inconvenience me, I'm going to inconvenience every situation there is."

If Sheffield had spoken to Manager Joe Torre before talking to reporters, he might not have been so angered. Torre told Sheffield that General Manager Brian Cashman had admitted that the Mets asked about him, but that the Yankees did not embrace the discussions. Cashman tried to call Sheffield to explain but did not have his new cellphone number.

"I just wanted to let him know that we turned down any inquiry about him," Torre said. "We said, 'No thank you.' I wanted to give him what Cash gave me."

The Yankees, who want to improve their defense in center field, have been aggressive in pursuing Cameron and asked about him three weeks ago. The Mets countered by asking for Sheffield because they would love to sandwich him between Carlos Beltran and Cliff Floyd in their lineup. The Yankees like Cameron and would benefit from his athleticism, but they instantly refused to sacrifice the powerful Sheffield.

So the Sheffield-for-Cameron discussions barely advanced, and the talks have not reopened. As much as Cashman wants to jolt the Yankees out of their malaise, he would create more problems by giving up Sheffield for Cameron. Sheffield, who is batting .300 with 13 homers and 55 runs batted in, finished second in the balloting for most valuable player last season.

The Mets have told teams that if they trade Cameron they do not want to absorb additional salary, which makes the slim chances of a deal even more remote. Cameron will earn $6 million this year and in 2006, while Sheffield will earn $13 million this year and next, with $9 million of it deferred. The Yankees, who would trade Sheffield only if they were overwhelmed by an offer, would not agree to pay part of his salary, too.

"The Yankees would never just give up Gary Sheffield," said one American League executive who has discussed trades with the Yankees, but who insisted on anonymity because he did not want to jeopardize future deals. "I think the Mets would want this more than them."

Minaya, who engaged in talks to deal Cameron for a reliever in spring training, called Cameron "part of our core." Cameron, 32, who was shifted to right field to make room for Beltran in center this season, was hitting .298 with 6 homers and 16 R.B.I. before Wednesday night's game.

Sheffield lamented this week how he had not been given the starts at designated hitter that he expected, saying he anticipated playing at least 40 games at D.H. That possibility would vanish with the Mets, except during interleague games.

"He's tough," Torre said. "He plays the game the way his personality is: no nonsense. He tells you what's on his mind. He leaves nothing in the bag."

Although Sheffield does not have a no-trade clause, he attempted to wrestle some control of his situation by warning any team that was interested in him. At 36, Sheffield has obviously matured, but he is still the player who made throwing errors early in his career to help force his exit from the Milwaukee Brewers.

Cameron, his Yankees cap apparently safe somewhere, chose not to discuss the possibility he might be dealt. That was in stark contrast to Sheffield. His strategy of sounding off was calculating. What team would risk adding a player who detested the idea of being shipped there and had promised to be a problem?

"That's my plan," Sheffield said. "That's why I'm saying it. I don't want them to come after me. Don't ask about me. I'm not interested in doing anything in regards to any other team, period."

Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:53 pm

Gary loves him some Yankee Baseball.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:57 pm

Just dug this up from Insider. And before anyone says anything, it's from Buster Olney, who sometimes is as pro-Yankee as it gets.

Players often are unhappy when they get traded, especially when it's the first time. They feel a sense of rejection, they have to cope with their family's displacement, and above all else, they feel as if they can't control their own lives – as if they were puppets dangling from lines manipulated by others. But in almost all cases, they pack up their stuff, they move on to their next team, and they devote themselves to playing as best they can.

Then there is Gary Sheffield.

When Sheffield is invested emotionally, he is a monstrous offensive force; the man's hit 428 career homers, he's approaching 1,500 RBI, and he's nearly a lifetime .300 hitter. He signed with the Yankees last year and it seemed like the guy got at least one or two big hits every week, and he finished second in the Most Valuable Player Award balloting.

But when Sheffield is unhappy, he simply shuts it down, like flipping the switch on a motor. I covered Sheffield in his last days with the Padres, in the midst of their 1993 fire sale, and angered by the situation, the man stopped competing, like a 100-meter sprinter who decides he's only running 40 meters.

Ground ball just to his left? He wasn't diving; ole. Runner at third base and one out? He wasn't worried about contact; he just swung as hard as he could, and if he struck out, too bad. Padres manager Jim Riggleman was in a tough position, because if he benched Sheffield or confronted him, a public clash would only diminish Sheffield's trade value. So for 2½ months, the Shut-Down Version of Sheff slogged through games.

He went to Florida, the pattern established. When he was happy, the guy dominated pitchers in a way that few hitters of his generation have. But when he had a problem with his contract, when he wanted his deal renegotiated or when he wanted an extension and he wasn't getting his way, he went from All-Star to Also-Ran.

Now Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has made it known to other general managers that he's willing to listen to offers for Sheffield, and on Wednesday, Sheffield made it clear that he would not welcome a trade, as Mike Vaccaro writes. Think about this: Sheffield's history of unhappiness – and his lack of productivity in those periods – is so well-established that right now, he can use that as leverage. There is something very bizarre and twisted about that.

A number of teams could use an invested Sheffield. The Braves, for sure, although they almost certainly don't have the money to make a deal. The Nationals. The Cubs. I bet the Dodgers have made serious inquiries about Sheffield, as they look for a way to augment their offense. The Mets certainly could use his bat.

But here's the problem. If you trade for Sheffield, not only do you assume the rest of his contract, through 2006 – but you also have to give him an extension, maybe through 2008. If not, you're going to get Shut-Down Sheff. If you trade for him and he's unhappy, as he promises he will be, he'll be all but useless.

If he was 30 years old, you might swallow hard, make a deal for him and give him an extension. But he's 36, going on 37 in November. Buyers beware.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:13 pm

as a sheff owner, i am glad for him....and i hope that this kills all of the trade talk.

;-D

his life long dream was to play for the yankees. espIn did a documentary on him when he was still a brave and he said this.

he got his dream and does not want that to change.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 14)

Postby rmeesig » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:30 pm

You don't have to read between the lines about yesterday's tirade, Sheff said it pure and simple, it's about the money, period. If you want to trade for him, then give him the money he deferred upfront since that was his decision to do that purely because he wanted to go to the Yankees (or probably better put, he agreed to it, and then disagreed which openned the door for Vlad, so he re-agreed to it). However, this has bothered him since he did it. He complained in spring training about it as well. So, any deal the Yankees make involving Sheffield has zero chance of Sheffield scuttling it if the Yankees absorb the money difference to get him out of there. Also, Sheffield will probably want another year tacked on his deal, so a team would have to be prepared to handle that as well. Again...money.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:44 pm

Sheffield will play for another team for the right money! Don't let him fool you!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jetlag » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:16 am

perhaps we could agree to the term
"professional whiners"

is that better?
jetlag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gws226 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:18 am

ya know, I really don't get guys like that...... the man is getting paid $13mil per, and he's still not happy...... and isn' gonna play to his potential unless he gets his way.

give the man a lollipop.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Octavian » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:07 pm

gws226 wrote:ya know, I really don't get guys like that...... the man is getting paid $13mil per, and he's still not happy...... and isn' gonna play to his potential unless he gets his way.

give the man a lollipop.

It's a fair point. I love Sheff, always have been a fan (Hey, at least he's not as big a dick as Barry Bonds.)... but sweet zombie Jesus I hate it when they gripe over their millions. I want millions, give me your money if you want to sit and sacrifice it! ;-D
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:10 pm

SominaDei wrote:
gws226 wrote:ya know, I really don't get guys like that...... the man is getting paid $13mil per, and he's still not happy...... and isn' gonna play to his potential unless he gets his way.

give the man a lollipop.

It's a fair point. I love Sheff, always have been a fan (Hey, at least he's not as big a dick as Barry Bonds.)... but sweet zombie Jesus I hate it when they gripe over their millions. I want millions, give me your money if you want to sit and sacrifice it! ;-D

I agree. I root for the guy 'cuz he's on my team and he does play hard for us, but he's an idiot. Just shutup and play ball.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers