Maggs Ordonez strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maggs Ordonez strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maggs Ordonez strategy

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:01 am

Okay, he's almost back, should be activated sometime in the next week or so.

For those of us who may own him, the question now becomes...what the hell do we do with him?

I'm of the opinion his name value will outweigh his production value by a substantial margin and I'm going to try and move him the day he comes back up to the big club, if not before.

The key is identifying the owners in your league who are the most starstruck. If you're in a league where you have learned the tendenices of some or all of the competition, you should know who to concentrate on.

Speaking for myself, I could use another option at 3B in the one league where I have Ordonez, so I'm going to try and get a mid-level guy who plays that spot. If I can't get something of medium value, then I'll just hold Ordonez and see what happens.

I'm curious as to what some of you other Maggs owners have in mind.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:07 am

I snagged maggs of the FA about a week ago and have stashed him on my bench since. In my league his value is incredibley low right now, and I doubt that it will raise much unless he runs off a hot streak. I'm trying to do a couple different things right now, as maggs presents an interesting piece to the puzzle. i have a lot of hitting depth, and have a deal on the table that would kill most of it but improve my pitching greatly, and if maggs looks healthy i would feel much better doing the deal as he gives me back that depth. option number 2 for me is to package him for a position upgrade, to a middle of the pack owner who is willing to take a risk for some big 2nd half production and a jump in the standings
Image

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4368
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Maggs Ordonez strategy

Postby NZF » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:52 am

thehat wrote:

I'm of the opinion his name value will outweigh his production value by a substantial margin and I'm going to try and move him the day he comes back up to the big club, if not before.



Couldn't agree more. Shift him quick if you do have him on your roster while he has at least some perceived value.

Pitchers park, stealing days are long gone, BA on the decline. Not a lot in his favour.

He's a borderline fantasy starter, even in 12 team mixed leagues.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Re: Maggs Ordonez strategy

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:39 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:
thehat wrote:

I'm of the opinion his name value will outweigh his production value by a substantial margin and I'm going to try and move him the day he comes back up to the big club, if not before.



Couldn't agree more. Shift him quick if you do have him on your roster while he has at least some perceived value.

Pitchers park, stealing days are long gone, BA on the decline. Not a lot in his favour.

He's a borderline fantasy starter, even in 12 team mixed leagues.


yep, I picked him up so I could trade him. If I cant trade him str8 away, i'll wait til he has a good game. Fantasy players are quick to forget, and prefer to remember what happened today.
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby macca » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:07 am

Wow. I completely disagree with you guys. I'm keeping him. I view him as the same animal as Berkman. Did Berkman come back and start tearing it up right away? No, it took him a little over a month to start showing some power. I am in a position that is comfortable, where I don't have to win alot of games to stay in a playoff race, so I may have more patience than most. That being said, I would give him a month to 2 months and I think he will be hitting like the all star of old. That would put us right around the time of most fantasy play offs. I'm DEFINATELY holding onto him. I did with Berkman, and I'm finally reaping the benefits of my patience.
macca
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 75
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheGrump » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:30 pm

I was just wondering... what kind of player are you looking for in return for Magglio? He has been sitting as a FA in most of the leagues that I am in. I find that a lot people are reluctant to give fair value for a guy they could have gotten for free, much less allow themselves to be ripped off.

How far has this fantasy stud of old fallen??? Give me some names of people that you believe could be had for Maggs!!!!
TheGrump
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 118
Joined: 1 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Maggs Ordonez strategy

Postby Bubonic Chronic » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:09 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
thehat wrote:

I'm of the opinion his name value will outweigh his production value by a substantial margin and I'm going to try and move him the day he comes back up to the big club, if not before.



Couldn't agree more. Shift him quick if you do have him on your roster while he has at least some perceived value.

Pitchers park, stealing days are long gone, BA on the decline. Not a lot in his favour.

He's a borderline fantasy starter, even in 12 team mixed leagues.


Geez. You could say all those things about Brian Giles as well and I wouldn't mind having him on my fantasy team. If Maggs gets and stays healthy, he'll be more valuable in your lineup than anything you can trade him for today.
Bubonic Chronic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 7
Joined: 2 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:12 pm

macca wrote:Wow. I completely disagree with you guys. I'm keeping him. I view him as the same animal as Berkman. Did Berkman come back and start tearing it up right away? No, it took him a little over a month to start showing some power. I am in a position that is comfortable, where I don't have to win alot of games to stay in a playoff race, so I may have more patience than most. That being said, I would give him a month to 2 months and I think he will be hitting like the all star of old. That would put us right around the time of most fantasy play offs. I'm DEFINATELY holding onto him. I did with Berkman, and I'm finally reaping the benefits of my patience.


How can you compare him with Berkman when Maggs hasn't played in like over a year? :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby macca » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:46 pm

Yoda wrote:
macca wrote:Wow. I completely disagree with you guys. I'm keeping him. I view him as the same animal as Berkman. Did Berkman come back and start tearing it up right away? No, it took him a little over a month to start showing some power. I am in a position that is comfortable, where I don't have to win alot of games to stay in a playoff race, so I may have more patience than most. That being said, I would give him a month to 2 months and I think he will be hitting like the all star of old. That would put us right around the time of most fantasy play offs. I'm DEFINATELY holding onto him. I did with Berkman, and I'm finally reaping the benefits of my patience.


How can you compare him with Berkman when Maggs hasn't played in like over a year? :-?


I'm comparing perennial all star players who have had injuries that have kept them out of the lineups for over a month. Not really that much of a stretch. And Berkman has been inactive since November. I see the similarity to be quite large. Also, Maggs has not had a history of injury before last year, similar to Berkman. They both were .300/30/100/100 players. Do I need to continue? A more interesting question is, "How do you NOT make the parallel between the two?" They are both proven sluggers who have been on the shelf for a while. And to correctly point out, Ordonez has not been out for over a year, he was healthy in March and the beginning of April.
macca
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 75
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Area51's » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:55 pm

I picked him up a few weeks ago. In my league I could get zero for him.....probably even after a few decent weeks. He's still got much more upside than anything on our waiver wire. I'll just stash him away...even after a month of poor production....and see what happens.


My gut feeling is that one of two things will happen--

1. He'll come back and struggle a bit, and slowly pick up speed to a decent option at outfield for the last two months...nothing special, but not a dropper either.

2. He'll come back and struggle to the point (or not be fully recovered from the hernia) that he's easily droppable.

If #1 is true, and he improves, I will look at him strongly for a sleeper in 06, but I believe his days of being a strong 2nd outfielder are done. Hope not as I always loved the guy, and he always slipped in my league before 2004.
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1002
Joined: 3 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: night watchmen at Pork n Beans factory

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armandopn, ensanimal, joiingds, unioreimi and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 15
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact