War of The Worlds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

War of The Worlds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby packslu1 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:32 pm

Very good summer blockbuster. Effects and sound were top notch (sometimes way above average) and acting was average and the movie was very tense at times. Overall a very good value for the money. For those who thought the ending ruined the movie....I guess you have never read the book or watched the 70's movie version of it. Without giving away the ending, it was just as the book and the original movie had it.
Image
packslu1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 96
Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:39 pm

packslu1 wrote:For those who thought the ending ruined the movie....I guess you have never read the book or watched the 70's movie version of it. Without giving away the ending, it was just as the book and the original movie had it.

And it's important to note that the ending was very clever for its time. Spielberg is showing respect for the story by not updating it, even if it isn't as dramatic now.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby da1chipo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:00 am

I loved it. Then again most movies like this I'll like.
Image
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Award-Winning Graphics Expert
Posts: 1930
Joined: 17 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NY

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:30 am

JTWood wrote:
packslu1 wrote:For those who thought the ending ruined the movie....I guess you have never read the book or watched the 70's movie version of it. Without giving away the ending, it was just as the book and the original movie had it.

And it's important to note that the ending was very clever for its time. Spielberg is showing respect for the story by not updating it, even if it isn't as dramatic now.


I'm not mad ABOUT the ending, but the ending was only like 2 minutes. How about some friggin closure. SO many things were unexplained. And the last scene ruined the movie for me. I can't say it b/c I don't want to ruin the movie, but it was SO unrealistic. I don't know if that happened in the book, but it was an impossibility in the movie. I'm not talking about the twist, but the last scene with Tom Cruise in it.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2198
Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox Nation

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:34 am

Some of these short reviews mention that the ending ruined this movie, well you obviously have never read the book before. I agree it is a bit anti-climatic, but I would rather Spielberg keep the original ending than play around with it in an attempt to make it "cooler" for the modern day. The plot in this movie compared to the book very well, which I believe is a good thing that Spielberg did, in keeping with the cleverness of the original writers of War of the Worlds.
Outstanding movie in my opinion, with a decent story, great special effects, and good acting. Very suspenseful at times.

In comparing it to Batman Begins, a movie I saw last week, I'd say it was around the same if not better.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby nsulham » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:41 am

I wasn't big on seeing this movie but within the last week I might have changed my mind :-?
Image
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4883
Joined: 26 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlottesville

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:44 am

Nomar4prez wrote:
JTWood wrote:
packslu1 wrote:For those who thought the ending ruined the movie....I guess you have never read the book or watched the 70's movie version of it. Without giving away the ending, it was just as the book and the original movie had it.

And it's important to note that the ending was very clever for its time. Spielberg is showing respect for the story by not updating it, even if it isn't as dramatic now.


I'm not mad ABOUT the ending, but the ending was only like 2 minutes. How about some friggin closure. SO many things were unexplained. And the last scene ruined the movie for me. I can't say it b/c I don't want to ruin the movie, but it was SO unrealistic. I don't know if that happened in the book, but it was an impossibility in the movie. I'm not talking about the twist, but the last scene with Tom Cruise in it.


There was no family in the book, just one guy from what i remember.

But he did have a wife in the book I think, and the "unrealistic" ending does have a kind of reference to the book but I will not say it because I would be giving away this ending for the movie as well.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby theskaboss » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:27 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
theskaboss wrote:
DaQ wrote:
Iguana wrote:The ending was a little underwhelming, but overall it was pretty awesome and very scary and suspenseful.

;-D

It was a pretty good movie overall IMO. ;-D


I hope so, im leaving in 20 min to see it! ;-D


Make sure you give us a review. I can't wait to see it. ;-D


Might as well see it dude, but the ending is totally lame. Other than that iit's pretty intense and exciting, at least I thought it was.
Image
theskaboss
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 837
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: albertsons

Postby JTWood » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:00 am

Saw it tonight. Very tense and nerve-racking, but there were a few points that I felt were a bit too long; some of the character development stuff. Overall, very, very good movie. Highly recommended!

;-D
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby davidmarver » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:54 am

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I wanted to comment that my friend saw Steven Speilberg in a parking lot in South Cardiff/North Solana Beach (depending on how you look at it) on Monday. Quite a funny story, actually.

Yes, he does want a cookie :-) .
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 4:55 hours
(and 89 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact