thoughts on E. Santana? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

thoughts on E. Santana?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:44 am

:-° Safely stashed on the bench.
There's no shame in getting punk'd by the Rangers in Arlington, but this guy looks like a serious roller-coaster ride between the highs and lows.

Still think I'll trot him out v. Seattle
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theclefe » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:04 am

With Olsen, Duke and Snell recently called up, they are much better options in a keeper league.

Almost every prospect that comes up has electric stuff. Not all learn how to use it. Unless you want to wait three years, go with the guys above... or Kasmir if availble.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dorje3 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:02 am

AKhomebrewer wrote::-° Safely stashed on the bench.
There's no shame in getting punk'd by the Rangers in Arlington, but this guy looks like a serious roller-coaster ride between the highs and lows.

Still think I'll trot him out v. Seattle

Wow, talk about fine print.
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:34 am

theclefe wrote:With Olsen, Duke and Snell recently called up, they are much better options in a keeper league.

Almost every prospect that comes up has electric stuff. Not all learn how to use it. Unless you want to wait three years, go with the guys above... or Kasmir if availble.

I wouldn't really agree with that. Santana and Olsen are both pretty good pitching prospects, but the other two aren't really in their level. Also disagree that "amost every prospect comes up w/ electric stuff", that's basically saying that everyone comes up with a mid to upper 90's FB and an above avg. to at times a plus breaking pitch ..... which isn't true.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Secret Avatar » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:40 pm

Santana has got some nasty stuff that you don't often see in such a young pitcher. It's not fair to say that "every" prospect has his level of talent. They clearly don't. So far, he's been either dominant or got shelled. The dominance is intriguing because -- again -- very few hot prospects are able to dominate at all within the first few major league games they played. Most struggle for a LONG time before they finally put it together (if ever).

I'm not too concerned about the shelling by Texas. EVERY pitcher they threw into the game got shelled. Texas has a blistering line-up and every one of them were on their game that day. When that happens, I don't care who is on the mound -- prime RJ, prime Pedro, prime Gagne, whatever -- they're gonna get hit hard.

I'll give Santana a few more games to get it together. If he does, he'll be a solid fantasy option that I picked up for free off the FA list. If he doesn't, he'll just be another in a long line of starters that didn't pan out this year.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nuggets » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:43 pm

Secret Avatar wrote: When that happens, I don't care who is on the mound -- prime RJ, prime Pedro, prime Gagne, whatever -- they're gonna get hit hard..

Eh, I don't think that lineup is disciplined enough to hit those guys when primed, but point taken. Great pitching beats great hitting and no one can hit those three when they are on top of thier game. Especially Pedro. He would've embarrassed them.

This Santana has made me think of Contreras, if he would've come up in the American system.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:29 pm

nuggets wrote:This Santana has made me think of Contreras, if he would've come up in the American system.

Didn't get this part at all, what does that mean?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby nuggets » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:32 pm

hybrid wrote:
nuggets wrote:This Santana has made me think of Contreras, if he would've come up in the American system.

Didn't get this part at all, what does that mean?

Contreras always had the nastiest stuff, but he never had anyone to teach him how to use it. Santana very well may harness his control and with the benefit of proper instruction, be a consistently effective pitcher. Any common ground on this on Hybrid? I greatly respect what you have to say about pitching.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:41 pm

Ah ok, I thought that may have something to do with what you were talking about.

The pretty big difference is the age factor between then two. Also I'd say that the Angels have a real good system and know how to handle pitchers fairly well. With time I think he will get his control down, my biggest fear with him isn't that he won't do well in the future .... but that he will have injury problems.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby nuggets » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:43 pm

hybrid wrote:my biggest fear with him isn't that he won't do well in the future .... but that he will have injury problems.

Arm angle? small frame? the "Kevin Brown Twist" ?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers