arroyo to close???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

arroyo to close????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

arroyo to close????

Postby uucrook3d » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:43 pm

http://www.boston.com/sports/

watch the video clip from remy. he said that if foulke continues his downward spiral, arroyo could get some save opps. with his numbers against righties, it could be a good move.
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: arroyo to close????

Postby Octavian » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:48 pm

uucrook3d wrote:http://www.boston.com/sports/

watch the video clip from remy. he said that if foulke continues his downward spiral, arroyo could get some save opps. with his numbers against righties, it could be a good move.

Jerry Remy says a whole lot, and not much of it is worth anything. I don't see them displacing Foulke for Bronson Arroyo unless Foulke was hurt. Bronson is clearly a future stud starter, he's had a flew blips this year but he's got the stuff and just needs the starts to develop. I think moving him to the pen is just nonsense, everyone says moving Wake to the pen is bad because he's at this point in his career yadda yadda. That's insane... screw Wakefield, you have a guy that was showing signs of future brilliance for the past two years and you take him OUT of the rotation? Smart. My guess is he'll be back starting soon enough... Miller, Wells... one of the two will fall apart.
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby This is the year » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:55 pm

Arroyo has to go to the pen. I can appreciate his merit as a starter, but opposing managers just stack their lineups with all of their bench lefties, and he gets rocked. He has a .291 BAA for lefties, compared with a .191 against righties. I think he would actually have MORE value (real baseball wise) in a long relief/setup role, at least until another starter gets injured. He can be used for high-leverage middle innings. There, unlike in the last inning or to start the game, managers would have to think twice about using lefties off their bench.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:03 pm

I tend to agree. I think Arroyo would do much better in MR with his splits. I don't know about having him close...if teams have bench lefties left at that point they could run them out there at that point as well. But in MR I think he'd really shine. Foulke looks terrible though...at this point I think I'd rather have Wakefield closing. !+)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:50 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I tend to agree. I think Arroyo would do much better in MR with his splits. I don't know about having him close...if teams have bench lefties left at that point they could run them out there at that point as well. But in MR I think he'd really shine. Foulke looks terrible though...at this point I think I'd rather have Wakefield closing. !+)

Wakefield would be a bad closer....Some games he'd be lights out and then he'd walk the bases loaded 5 times on other days
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:52 pm

Which would be better than Foulke has been lately ;)

I'm afraid to have Wakefield anywhere near the mound period when it comes to fbb...he's ridiculously inconsistent. But ridiculously incosistent >>> consistantly terrible.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby theclefe » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:06 pm

This is the year wrote:Arroyo has to go to the pen. I can appreciate his merit as a starter, but opposing managers just stack their lineups with all of their bench lefties, and he gets rocked. He has a .291 BAA for lefties, compared with a .191 against righties. I think he would actually have MORE value (real baseball wise) in a long relief/setup role, at least until another starter gets injured. He can be used for high-leverage middle innings. There, unlike in the last inning or to start the game, managers would have to think twice about using lefties off their bench.

;-D

to SominaDei, He is not a future stud and is greatly overrated. He has had 10 quality starts and 5 where he has blown up this season, not to mention he is already 28 years old and has only two years under his belt in the bigs. While he will be a good pitcher, words like stud, ace and brilliance do not fit. As a bullpen guy, he could easily have a low 3 ERA with good amount of holds. As a starter, I think he will always be above 4 with 9-13 wins.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:24 pm

Keith Foulke is the closer. He will continue to be the closer unless he goes on the DL. Doesn't matter how bad he sucks, Francona is gonna keep sending him out there...see Embree
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:26 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:Keith Foulke is the closer. He will continue to be the closer unless he goes on the DL. Doesn't matter how bad he sucks, Francona is gonna keep sending him out there...see Embree

Foulke is better than Embree, right? :-o
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby converge241 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:02 am

is he going to the pen? yes as soon as schill is back

will he get some save ops between now and end of july? probably

will he be "the" closer? no way

if they abandon foulke they will make a tarde for the new closer, IMO
converge241
General Manager