Did anyone hear a Sheff trade rumor? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Did anyone hear a Sheff trade rumor?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:07 pm

Mike and the Maddog just reported that Cashman asked Torre to call Sheff in his office.

Apparently he said the Mets asked about Sheff, Yankees said no. Hopefully that calms the jerkoff down a little... :-t
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dimaggio5 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:19 pm

I've alwyas liked Vlad and was disappointed they didn't sign him but the media convinced me that Shef was a changed and more mature person now. He was married found relegion etc. They also said Gooden would ahve a calming influence on him. Well WRONG! Same ole Same ole Shef. I thought Beltran to NYY was a done deal with George but for some reason he said he didn;t have the money. I really dont; beleive this becaue they had contracts coming off this year in Brown and Bernie which would've saved close to 30 million (est) so taking a hit for 14 million for one season was not a reach for a 28 year old swith hitting power hitting defensive CF. I honestly think he was advised by his Tampa staff not to sigh Beltran and that there were cheaper alternatives to be had elsewhere. George obviously could not see behind the wall of feces from tampa.

I agree, Cameron for Shef is really a bad deal. Cameron's defense is really outstanding but a 220 batting average will really zing the Yanks bottom half lineup. But I have the feeling that Shef is becoming such a disruptive force on teh Yanks that they just want to trade him in any respectable deal to just get rid of him. They acknowledge taht his bat will be missed but this could be a case of addition by subtraction for them.

It was thrown around on Fan taht the Yanks could put BErnie in left and MAtsui in right if they traded Shef. Not the best scenario but a S-T workable one.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dimaggio5 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:20 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Mike and the Maddog just reported that Cashman asked Torre to call Sheff in his office.

Apparently he said the Mets asked about Sheff, Yankees said no. Hopefully that calms the jerkoff down a little... :-t

Maybe Father Torre will rip him a new one. God knows he's needed one for quite a while now and who's better to administer that verbal rip other than Joe Torre

dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dimaggio5 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:10 pm

Ok a slight recant and I'm going to give Shef the benefit of the doubt here....

I was just watching Sports Channel and they had teh reporter on who interviewed Shef. We know that Shef is not the most articulate of individuals and this is what the reporter said Shef was intending to say.

Shef was angry about the trade rumors and was stating that he made compensations to be a Yankee because he wanted to be a Yankee. If teh Yankees trade him then he wants to be paid what his mkt value which is about 4.5 million more or else he won't go. He felt he was being sacrificed while others who were dead weight and making alot more than him weren't (shot at Giambi).

I guess you have to give him the benefit of doubt here. I guess I'd be angry too if I was producing with a team that wanted to trade me while a lot pf others who plain suck weren't even discussed in trades or asked to redo their contracts or sacrifice something for the betterment fo the team.

I guess the next question will be, who do you sacrifice to save the morale of the team? Shef or Giambi and Brown?

During the weekend I was watching the Yankees and Jeter made a throw to 1st which Giambi should have scooped up but instead made it a Jeter error. Soon after the play the camera focused on Jeter's face and other than watching the runner on first it appeared that Jeter was peeved at Giambi. He just gleared over at Giambi with a focused and intentive gaze. The camera kept coming back to Jeter and he kept staring over at first and he was not watching the runner. Now Jeter is not a player to show up his teammates and I have to believe that there might be huge frustration beginning to grow with Giambi's ineptness both with his bat and defense within the clubhouse. Sheffield's outburst today might just be the beginning of the frustration with Giambi from his teammates.

dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:24 pm

Sheffield has every right to say he doesn't wanna be traded and he's happy where he is.

But he doesn't need to take public shots at teammates, and say that he doesn't feel he should play with fire and be a leader if he's not paid for it.

That's just being an @$$hole.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:12 pm

I honestly don't care what Gary said. He wants to stay and he's more than earned his money, which can't be said for those he's pissed at. Some intensity and desire is great to see on a team that's seemed to lack those two so much.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:29 am

I'll admit I was a little hard on him, I didn't realize he meant that he took less money to play for the Yankees and wants his market value if he's traded.

I guess that does show he really wants to be here. I never realized he took less to play for us.

But calling out Giambi and saying that other stuff about teams not paying you for extra stuff, did and still do tick me off. I'm willing to forget about it though, as long as this is the last public outlash he has, and he continues to be a positive influence in the clubhouse, and on the field.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dimaggio5 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:07 am

Folks,

I think this Sheffied outburst is starting to show a deeper morale issue in the clubhouse than we realize.

The issue is Giambi and maybe Brown too.

If you think about all the recent comments in the media from Arod and Jeter plus if you've caught certain expressions during the game from namely Jeter, you have to think that something not publicly known is wrong with the morale of the team. I think Torre and Cashman might be aware of it.

1) Arod recently called the Yankees lazy.

2) Jeter for months has said that this team is not the same and that the team does not have fire

3) Sheffied calls out unknown teammates as not holding their own. Said they don;t sacrifice anything for the team so why should he.

OK now lets look at some other facts.

1) I mentioned how I caught Jeters glare of disgust towards 1st base after Giambi's error. The camera kept shifting to Jeters face so I gotta believe that the TV control booth might've seen the same thing I did that Jeter was glaring at Giambi. Now we all know Jeter never shows up a teammate publicly he is just that type of teammate. A good stand up guy and teammate.

2) Remember last year Giambi's personal trainer was fired by the Yanks and Giambi bitched about how it was stipulated in his contract that he was to get his own personal trainer. Now how many Yankees have a personal trainer in the clubhouse? Not Jeter, Arod, Shef, Rivera, Bernie, Clemens, Only Giambi did and when he lost him he bitched loudly and even blamed last years batting woes on him being upset over his trainers dismissal.

3) I read in the ESPN excerpt from that book about the Yanks that many Yanks felt that Giambi wilted last year under the steroid scrutiny and negativity. I even read somewhere that some Yanks felt his"tumor" problem was actually Giambi's lack of courage to face the media, fans and booing he was getting last year from Yankees fans at the stadium. From that book I read that many in the clubhouse felt he was done in New York after he came up with the "tumor". NOw I'm not sure if they meant done with the team or done with the fans in New York maybe both.

4) Remember when Mattingly tried to help Giambi go to left more to overcome the extreme shift to the right side? Remember how when he got off to a slow start and was batting below 200 he revolted against Mattingly's help and said he has to hit the way he's comfortable with and that's being a pull hitter. Well he really didn;t improved that much since reverting back to his hacking ways and still does not produce with runners in scoring position. It's either a K or flyout.

5) Recall too that Torre and Cashman suggested that Giambi might want to go to AAA for a while to work on getting his stroke back earlier this year. Giambi refused the assignment and even went public with the meeting. It was Giambi who went public with the meeting and told the press about AAA. So rather than going down to AAA and working on his mechanics he wanted to stay on the team and work out his problems with men in scoring position.

6) Also recall that Giambi has bitched about not playing 1st base on many occassions. During his many slumps, he had claimed that by being a DH and not playing the field he was not really "into the game". He felt that if he was playing 1B everyday his hitting would return. Excuses excuses excuses.

7) Now with Brown we all knew he was a mooker. He punches the wall and breaks a bone in his pitching hand. Pitches 2 games against the Bosox in last year's ALCS and was downright ugly. This year he really hasn;t been much better and god knows how long he will be hurt for. How would you feel playing defense behind a pitcher knowing that every time he takes the ball your team will be down 3-4 runs in the first and that your going to have to play catchup for the rest of the game. Pretty disgusted I imagine.

There are some serious personel and morale issues on the Yanks right now and I can't say I blame the Yanks whom are fed up. You have 2 selfish prima donna players in Gaimbi and Brown. Brown is a sulker but Giambi is a big cry baby whose selfish ways have really hurt the team. Excuses excuses excuses. I think the deep sentiment within the clubhouse is that Giambi should take one for the team. Either go to AAA or work overtime on his fielding and hitting after the games rather than working out in the weight room. Or even do the honorable thing and redo his contract so that the Yanks can manuever for a needed player or two. Giambi has done nothing to help the team other than make excuses excuses excuses or bitch bitch bitch. I can't blame some Yankees for getting fed up with the same old act.

The Yank's anger within the clubhouse and even Sheffield's too, if this was what he intended to articulate, is totally understandable. Something has to be done quickly and soon and the sooner the better to save the team chemistry. Trading Sheffield might not be the solution or Posada and Gordon for that matter. Sucking it up and demoting or cutting Giambi and his huge contract might be the best overall solution as he seems to be the commonality for all the discension within the clubhouse. Then cut Stanton, Quantrill and Brown. Addition by 4 subtractions.

See what you created George.

dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:44 am

Hard to say I disagree with your points. Giambi really has been selfish by doing all of those things.

Hopefully the team confronts him and he will show his true self. He'll be an honorable, team player and do whatever the team needs him to do in order to help the Yankees, including re-structure his contract, or he'll refuse to again.

If he refuses to do anything, I suggest they just cut him as soon as they find a first baseman. I've been waiting for them to make a move on Nick Johnson. I know it won't happen during the year with the Nats playing so well, but in the offseason, I'd like for them to sign him.

Then I'd cut him. He's not done anything to help the team's current position, on the field or off.

As for Brown, I'd cut him immeadiately. He's completely awful, and his contract is off the books after the year anyway, so just get him and his bullsh!t attitude off the team now.

BTW, Quantrill and Stanton are supposed to be released later today, so that's half of the problem gone, although those guys aren't a clubhouse problem, they just can't get it done on the field. They both seem like really nice guys, especially Stanton, who even though he sucks, I feel bad for cutting.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dimaggio5 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:44 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:BTW, Quantrill and Stanton are supposed to be released later today, so that's half of the problem gone, although those guys aren't a clubhouse problem, they just can't get it done on the field. They both seem like really nice guys, especially Stanton, who even though he sucks, I feel bad for cutting.

I definitely agree they were both troopers whom just couldn't get it done and that's too bad for both of them. I respect Quantrall for having the balls to drill a Redsox this year after they hit a few Yanks. Seemed no one else had the courage to. He also took one for the team when the team's bullpen needed a rest and gave up like 10 runs and saw his ERA jump from like 4 to 9.00. Stanton has some fond memories for me for some of his moments during the Yankee championship run from 97-00. He came through for us when he was in his prime. Kinda hate to see him go through this. Sometimes it's better to bow out with grace than to humiliate yourself. Just like Joe Dimaggio did.

dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to New York Yankees