V for Vendetta - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

V for Vendetta

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JTWood » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:33 pm

Saw it. Thought it was okay. Way more symbolic than I thought it would be. The sub-plot focus on homosexuality was weird, too.

Definitely a classic story, though.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:30 pm

I haven't read through these posts, especially since I caught some "spoiler alerts." I'm planning to see V for Vendetta this afternoon. My girlfriend is out of town and I'm bored... does it mean I'm a loser if I go to a movie by myself? I don't think she'd like it, so I figure this is my chance and it seems to be the first movie worth going out to see yet this year.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:14 pm

Saw it; loved it.

This was one of the first movies I've seen in a long time that didn't have me constantly checking my watch an hour into it. I already knew it wasn't as action-packed as advertised; I found it interesting and thought provoking. Most of all, I enjoyed it for what it was... a totally new take on the whole 1984, totalitarian theme. It was a great and exciting story telling and I thought that Portman was amazing in it. Weaving was a little boring as V; it started with him being such an enigmatic and exciting character but quickly got a little dry. I also laughed out loud in the last fight scene that was in slow motion and that guy got killed and there was that cliche "nooooooooo" as he died.

Other than that nitpicking though, I found the story to be excellent, if not overly compressed, but they probably could have turned this story into a 5 season HBO series if they wanted. I don't know anything about the graphic novel it's based on, but I was entertained nonetheless.

One last comment; the theater I was in was totally full of nerds who seemed like they needed something to do between Star Trek conventions. Is the fact that I enjoyed this film make me a nerd too?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:21 pm

Coppermine wrote:I does it mean I'm a loser if I go to a movie by myself?

when was the last time the person next to you changed what was happening on the screen?

exactly.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:45 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I does it mean I'm a loser if I go to a movie by myself?

when was the last time the person next to you changed what was happening on the screen?

exactly.

Boo yah. Exactly, movies are an individual activity; and being with people doesn't make it any more enjoyable.

The only exception are bad comedies; I don't go to see comedies on the theater, but, if I did, I would need someone there to make sarcastic comments to.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:00 am

Went to this movie last night, thought it was great. It definitely exceeded my expectations, and was far more thought provoking than I expected it would be, even after reading a few reviews last week.

It is one of the few new movies that I have seen in the past year or two that actually kept me engaged throughout the entire thing. The fight scenes were extremely well done, as well.

Overall it was very entertaining, and I'd recommend it to anybody. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby KPucks » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:14 pm

I saw it today and thought it was great. There was a good story behind it and the action sequences were mixed in well. I'd give it a 9/10.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to General Talk