V for Vendetta - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

V for Vendetta

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:49 am

I saw the movie as well and agree totally with Pimpin, not as much action as I figured but enjoyed the movie quite a bit.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3739
Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby RugbyD » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:09 pm

Saw it today, good movie but too short. I thought they could have done a better job with 3 main things, 1) accounting for the full year time lapse that the movie takes place over, 2) giving more history on how the present day came to be, and 3) Evey's denial and acceptance needed to be better detailed.

good effort though. When the DVD comes out i hope there's a director's cut with 30+ minutes of more of the above items. Unlikely though.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:32 pm

Very good movie and I highly recommend it to anyone. Stayed true to the graphic novel for the most part. I can't remember but I thought the story at Larkhill should have been a bit more.

In any case, I'm not a big fan of the brother directors but they did a pretty good job.

EDIT: I browsed through the novel and found out that the story was really altered in the movie. Other than the main plot line, a lot of the details were changed from the book. Still a good film but the book was better.
Last edited by Yoda on Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby brewcrew4you » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:41 pm

A decent movie, but not great.

It doesn't provoke as much thought as I was hoping for, because it's premise is a little flat.

Also, [SPOILER ALERT], the final fight scene is just ridiculus. He'd have no arms after being hit with that many bullets... so unless the diseases/vaccines make him superhuman, which defeats the idea that one man can change governments by becoming more than one man (a superhero is more than one man, IMO), it just ruins the movie's plausibility.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1192
Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in a bunker 50m below sea level

Postby RugbyD » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:35 pm

brewcrew4you wrote: the final fight scene is just ridiculus. He'd have no arms after being hit with that many bullets... so unless the diseases/vaccines make him superhuman, which defeats the idea that one man can change governments by becoming more than one man (a superhero is more than one man, IMO), it just ruins the movie's plausibility.

it isn't super-humanness that allows him to survive, but rather his being as an idea rather than individual action. and it is quite odd how few bullets missed the plate. just another one of several smaller parts of the movie that could've been beefed up a little that prevents it from being great and instead just good.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:13 pm

V For Vendetta creator Alan Moore is desperate to be disassociated from the screen adaptation of his classic comic strip - and is begging the producers not to credit him for his work. The cartoonist, who also conceived From Hell and The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, hates seeing his work diluted by movie-makers, and refuses to put his name to the result. He says, "I want them to say, 'We're not going to give you any money for your work, you're not going to get any credit for it and we're not going to put your name on it.' To see a line of dialogue or a character that I have poured that much emotional involvement into, to see them casually travestied and watered down and distorted... it's kind of painful. It's much better just to avoid them altogether."
Image
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Posts: 1785
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Here, there and everywhere

Postby LiveForever » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:48 pm

RugbyD wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote: the final fight scene is just ridiculus. He'd have no arms after being hit with that many bullets... so unless the diseases/vaccines make him superhuman, which defeats the idea that one man can change governments by becoming more than one man (a superhero is more than one man, IMO), it just ruins the movie's plausibility.

it isn't super-humanness that allows him to survive, but rather his being as an idea rather than individual action. and it is quite odd how few bullets missed the plate. just another one of several smaller parts of the movie that could've been beefed up a little that prevents it from being great and instead just good.


Suspention of disbelief. I knew what i was getting myself into before seeing this movie, and as long as you do as well, youll enjoy it. 4 out of 5 stars.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 643
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Minneapolis

Postby blankman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:55 pm

Saw it last night and loved it. I'd like to have seen more of the sick knife fights, but the whole movie was simply cool.

The society reminded me nearly exactly of 1984, which made it a bit odd, but the movie was still very enjoyable. I would recommend it.


*SPOILER* why didn't they just shoot him in the face is my question. But his line "there is more than flesh underneath this mask. There is an idea and ideas are bulletproof" pretty much takes care of that complaint. Perhaps they should have just not bothered with the unrealistic plate and left it as him simply being an idea.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:00 pm

EW brought this up and I had already thought the same when I read the synopsis...

Isn't it rather ironic what this movie is about and promotes considering the parallels that can be clearly drawn? Just take a look at the tagline on that movie poster.

I'm rather surprised a big company actually picked up this movie.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5440
Joined: 27 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The empty seat next to the Tampa Bay heckler

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:27 pm

blankman wrote:Saw it last night and loved it. I'd like to have seen more of the sick knife fights, but the whole movie was simply cool.

The society reminded me nearly exactly of 1984, which made it a bit odd, but the movie was still very enjoyable. I would recommend it.


*SPOILER* why didn't they just shoot him in the face is my question. But his line "there is more than flesh underneath this mask. There is an idea and ideas are bulletproof" pretty much takes care of that complaint. Perhaps they should have just not bothered with the unrealistic plate and left it as him simply being an idea.


The mask was metal and you can see the ricochet marks on them.

Equilibrium is another good movie very similar storyline but with more action.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Daicekl and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact