Renteria To Make Switch? ... Hanley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Renteria To Make Switch? ... Hanley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby theclefe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:14 pm

Handley Ramirez stayed at Edgar's house last night, and apparently they are good friends.

I doubt the Red Sox want to pay top shortstop money to a second baseman or a weak hitting third baseman. I don't really see this working out for more than a season.

Also, Edgar's comments reminds me of the comments John Valentin made prior to Nomar's promotion.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:09 pm

I heard the move would be the 3B. I don't think it is a good idea for Edgar. He doesn't seem to react well to change.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby theclefe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:14 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I heard the move would be the 3B. I don't think it is a good idea for Edgar. He doesn't seem to react well to change.

;-D ;-D no he doesn't.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby WittyC » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:22 pm

thomasps3 wrote:I really am not sure if he meant 2b or 3b. I mentioned this in aanother thread that an infield of Youkilis at 1b, Renteria at 3b, Hanley at SS, and Pedroia at 2b is the future Sox infield. Additionally, Hanley is not a "mediocre" SS or 2b. He is an incredible talent that has 20/20/.300 potential and is the prince of the Red Sox system, which is increasingly growing some actually talented players.

How is he defensively? I would be hard pressed to believe that he could be better than Renteria. I haven't seen him much in Boston, but I know when he was w/ the Cards he was one of the finest defensive SS's in the league.

Also, wouldn't you have said four years ago that Renteria had 20/20/.300? Let's not count our chickens before they're hatched. :-D

Prince of the Red Sox system... you Bean-Towners crack me up. :-b
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trot Nixon » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:32 pm

theclefe wrote:Handley Ramirez stayed at Edgar's house last night, and apparently they are good friends.

I doubt the Red Sox want to pay top shortstop money to a second baseman or a weak hitting third baseman. I don't really see this working out for more than a season.

Also, Edgar's comments reminds me of the comments John Valentin made prior to Nomar's promotion.
Couple things, I think its big of Renteria to say that he'll put the team infront of himself and his ego. It does remind me alot of like Valentin making the move to 3rd with Nomar coming up to the bigs, and its "Hanley" by the way. At least he more acceptable to change that Jeter was...Just Kidding Jeter's situation with A-Rod is nothing compared to this one so don't get all pissy.

But as you can tell with his stats in my sig, he's not exactly tearing up AA right now. He does have a back injury and I really don't know why this is an issue right now. He isn't gonna be ready for another year or so and we still don't know if he's gonna be a great player or not. Just think of how many Sox prospects were suppose to be "Stars" but turned out to be duds. Tony Blanco comes to mind when I think of a "great" 5 tool infielder. We should be talking more about where Youkilis and Pedroia should play ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:25 pm

Not to belabor the point, but the Sox system is certainly producing more mlb-caliber players than at any time in recent history. Here is the scouting report, abeit a dated one, from Baseball America:

Strengths: Tampa Bay’s B.J. Upton is the only minor league shortstop whose raw tools compare to Ramirez’. He’s the best athlete and fastest baserunner, and has the strongest infield arm in the Red Sox system—and he’s most dangerous at the plate. Ramirez has quick hands, a smooth stroke and lots of bat speed. He has pitch recognition beyond his years, so he’s not vulnerable to breaking balls and is able to hit deep in counts. If he puts it all together, he could be a .300/.370/.500 shortstop in the majors. He improved his baserunning skills in 2003, and his combination of speed and aggressiveness makes him a stolen base threat. His arm also got better last year, as he maintained plus arm strength throughout the season for the first time. He has classic shortstop actions and reliable hands.

That to me sounds like a guy who should be in Boston next year, and also accounts for his fielding. Remember, this is from a team that has Kevin freakin Millar at 1b!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:15 pm

A move to 3b would be good.

I am stacked in 2B: Utley, Giles, Vidro.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:19 pm

Edgar is way to nice. Must be an Edgar thing (Martinez).

amn that free laptop ad is annoying :-t
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers