Now this is what you call groundbreaking - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Now this is what you call groundbreaking

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Now this is what you call groundbreaking

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:33 am

To hell with my bionic man post, this is awesome:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15 ... 62,00.html

Boffins create zombie dogs
By Nick Buchan of NEWS.com.au
June 27, 2005

Eerie ... boffins have brought dead dogs back to life, in the name of science. SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.

US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.
Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

However rather than sending people to sleep for years, then bringing them back to life to benefit from medical advances, the boffins would be happy to keep people in this state for just a few hours,

But even this should be enough to save lives such as battlefield casualties and victims of stabbings or gunshot wounds, who have suffered huge blood loss.

During the procedure blood is replaced with saline solution at a few degrees above zero. The dogs' body temperature drops to only 7C, compared with the usual 37C, inducing a state of hypothermia before death.

Although the animals are clinically dead, their tissues and organs are perfectly preserved.

Damaged blood vessels and tissues can then be repaired via surgery. The dogs are brought back to life by returning the blood to their bodies,giving them 100 per cent oxygen and applying electric shocks to restart their hearts.

Tests show they are perfectly normal, with no brain damage.

"The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology," said one US battlefield doctor.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:21 am

Holy! Crap! is that real! Thats awesome!!! wowowowow....I need to write out a will immediatley saying send me to this guy!

Thats awesome! ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AT » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:42 am

In the immortal words of Old Dirty Bastard...

Bow wow wow, yippy yo, yippy yay.

P.S. Woof.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Irish » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:43 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:In the immortal words of Old Dirty Bastard...

Bow wow wow, yippy yo, yippy yay.

P.S. Woof.

That's snoop Dog.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Now this is what you call groundbreaking

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:49 am

RugbyD wrote:

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

8-o 8-o who in their right mind would sign up to be the first victim,,,, :-? :-? ummm first trial test???????
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:53 am

raiders_umpire wrote: 8-o 8-o who in their right mind would sign up to be the first victim,,,, :-? :-? ummm first trial test???????

That's what I was thinking. :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:01 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote: 8-o 8-o who in their right mind would sign up to be the first victim,,,, :-? :-? ummm first trial test???????

That's what I was thinking. :-o

Somone wanting to commit suicide could sign up for a fee and will it to someone in case it doesn't work.

Yeah, it's a little grim, but....

Death row inmates who want to try to get their sentence commuted to life in prison?

If the price is right.................
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:07 am

I'd think that if they tried this on a human and brought them back, they'd have suffered serious brain trauma and cell loss in the process. And, that's assuming the rest of it even works, lol. :-o
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:09 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'd think that if they tried this on a human and brought them back, they'd have suffered serious brain trauma and cell loss in the process. And, that's assuming the rest of it even works, lol. :-o

The dogs didn't have brain trauma or cell loss why would a human?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:58 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'd think that if they tried this on a human and brought them back, they'd have suffered serious brain trauma and cell loss in the process. And, that's assuming the rest of it even works, lol. :-o

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that brain damage is associated with lack of oxygen or other trauma. Suffocating brain cells die, but it sounds like they essentially freeze them, ceasing the life functions (and the decay process).

Unbelievable. This definitely tops that "scientists control monkeys with brain implants and remote controls" story I read a few years ago.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to General Talk