I'm sure this has been discussed to death but.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby moochman » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:56 am

I've heard the same theory that big pimpin is...pimpin. I don't know how much creedence to give it, but as with all things Barry-it's hard to tell where the truth is. If he does come back it would be very interesting to see if he is given the same deference from managers, pitchers, and umps as before. Will he mash as before, or appear human?

I do think he comes back this season, if for nothing else to prove to himself that he can or cannot still play..er..I mean hit.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mkultra » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:22 am

I've heard this theory as well, and I'm actually inclined to believe it. It's the people who are dismissing it out of hand, IMO, who are in denial.

Look at Michael Jordan, who "suddenly" decided he wanted to play minor league baseball, out of the spotlight, at the height of his career. Oh, and those embarassing gambling debts he was racking up? Pay them no mind, sports fans- look over here at the flashy players!
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:07 am

i have heard we didnt go to moon and aliens abduct people and give them anal probes. its a ridiculous theory. mlb doesnt wield any power over bonds. of course they know he juiced. everybody knows he juiced. he has already been exposed (to a certain degree) as a juicer. on top of that, THG wasnt banned at the time so MLB has no authority to ban bonds. if selig ever gave him that ultimatum bonds would just laugh in his face.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby mkultra » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:19 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:of course they know he juiced. everybody knows he juiced. he has already been exposed (to a certain degree) as a juicer. on top of that, THG wasnt banned at the time so MLB has no authority to ban bonds. if selig ever gave him that ultimatum bonds would just laugh in his face.

"We" know he juiced, but the public at-large doesn't necessarily think so. Barry Bonds is still seen as a role model by a lot of young kids. The MLB has no authority to ban him, but if there's ongoing public scrutiny (he either has a sub-par season or he pisses off management), he's going to be treated as tainted goods and kept out of the Hall of Fame, and no one's going to accept him eventually beating Hank Aaron for the home run crown.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 40)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:55 am

we have already gotten to the point where very few people accept him as a legit 70 in a season/700 in a career guy (at least if the ESPN polls have any accuracy). barry always seemed to me like the kind of guy that didnt care what anybody else thought of him. if a few more people thought less of him, i am not sure he would care (ie i just dont really buy the whole public image excuse).

i guess i could sort of see him inventing an injury to avoid scrutiny and thus create less of a stink when he does get elected to the hall. however that a) wouldnt have anything to do with behind the scenes negotiationg with selig and a phantom mlb suspension and b) seems like something he would do after passing ruth but before catching aaron (just my opinion there).

the whole thing just seems like grasping at straws to me. in my opinion it is much more plausible that he is experiencing the same steroid related injury problems that allegedly derailed mcgwire's career (and maybe add the twist of an incompetent doctor).
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:01 pm

mkultra wrote:
"We" know he juiced, but the public at-large doesn't necessarily think so..

8-o 8-o 8-o

what ever ...

This could be the lamest thread ever .

What secret surgeries?
Last edited by wrveres on Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:07 pm

wrveres wrote:
mkultra wrote:
"We" know he juiced, but the public at-large doesn't necessarily think so..

8-o 8-o 8-o

what ever ...

This could be the lamest thread ever .

What secret surgeries?

Could be? ;-7
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:09 pm

mkultra wrote:I've heard this theory as well, and I'm actually inclined to believe it. It's the people who are dismissing it out of hand, IMO, who are in denial.

Look at Michael Jordan, who "suddenly" decided he wanted to play minor league baseball, out of the spotlight, at the height of his career. Oh, and those embarassing gambling debts he was racking up? Pay them no mind, sports fans- look over here at the flashy players!

It does sound awfully similar to the Michael Jordan theory making the rounds a couple years ago, doesn't it? :-?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:35 pm

has anybody stopped to think just how many people would have to be in on this "conspiracy". All the medical staff and rehab people. Stan Conte would have to be on the take too.

Is Conte on the take? :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Chicago RedSox » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:38 pm

I'd be more inclined to believe Bonds made some stories up because he's afraid to return to baseball as merely a good hitter, and not a homerun god.
Juiced or not, he fills more seats and creates more buzz when he's playing. I can't see MLB being behind this. Plus, I thought the MLB only changed their steroid policy when the public/government demanded it...
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers