NBA Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

NBA Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:23 pm

this is the kind of draft where if i had a high pick i would trade down for multiple picks. there are good guys at the top but no obvious must have guys like lebron or carmelo. bogut, paul, and williams should be solid nba players but i dont see any of them being all-stars or making a big impact. as always some interesting high school and euro guys where it would be much easier to justify drafting one if you had two first round picks.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:27 pm

Another player nobody is mentioning is Hakim Warick. This kid is explosive. He is undersized at PF, but he can play SF or even PF in an offense that doesn't really post up.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Irish » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:40 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:How do you think Paul and Williams from Illinois compare? I think they're two completely different players but some people seem to lump them together into a "take your pick" deal. I think both Williams as well as Paul should go over Bogut if I had any say, but I guess that's why I don't. :-b

Irish wrote:Big goofy white guys fdon't win championships. When are people gonna figure this out?

Hehe. :-D

Good question since they are the top 2 PG's coming in this year.

I look at Williams and he reminds me of Billups with his strong frame, 3pt shooting and good leadership. He's not a guy I see coming in and scoring a ton at first, but I think he will develop quickly and be a 13 point, 7 assist kind of guy with upside based upon the situation he is put in.

He won't be a superstar, carry a team type player, but one of those guys that doesn't hurt you in any real area, which is something that is very underrated.

Paul will be less of a shooter and more of a floor captain. He seems more like a guy that will average 10 assists and sho's scoring will only go up when his team is struggling. He's one of those guys that makes everyone on the floor better, which is why he reminds me of Jason Kidd. Not an excellent shooter, but can score when needed, even though when he's playing his best he doesn;t need to score.

I think Paul is more valuable to any team. But I don't think picking Williams early is a mstake, just not someone you can really build around.

You give paul a few athletic swingmen and he'll really shine.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stevethumb » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:33 am

Arlo wrote:Here's one possible scenario... :-)
.....ugh 4 correct out of 30 not too good and some of his selections werent even drafted (rmorris --KY)......celtics got a steal w/ggreen at #18
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:35 am

Haha...I love it. The Celtics, I believe, easily had the best draft given their position. To get Green, AND Gomes......I'm stunned. In 2-3 years, the dynasty will be back :-D .
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby go_jays_go » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:43 am

Nomar4prez wrote:Haha...I love it. The Celtics, I believe, easily had the best draft given their position. To get Green, AND Gomes......I'm stunned. In 2-3 years, the dynasty will be back :-D .

Yeah..The Raptors could have had Green TWICE, but Babcock is the worst thing that ever happened to that organization.

Although I am mad that we passed up Green, I think Villy and Graham will be decent. Also, to get Roko Ukic at 41st overall is a pretty big steal in my books. He was projected top 5 PG in the draft.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Bradg533 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:04 am

villy was drafted WAY too high, but i really like Graham, that pick saved the draft for the Raptors
Props to C_DubYah
Bradg533
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shiboboo » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:13 am

The Lakers had the worst draft of any team in the draft. How the hell do you pass up the final four mvp for some high school prospect? If Buss didn't make the decision and left it up to Kupcheck(sp?) to choose between May and and Bynum, Kupcheck should be fired. And then, I'd trade Kobe to Memphis for Jerry West. That was the dumbest pick i've ever seen. One bird in the hand is greater than two in the bush. I don't care if Bynum will be good 5 years. May is solid now and should be solid in 5 years.

Don't even get me started on Von Wafer or whatever the hell his name is.

The only good pick was Ronny Turiaf and he's not going to turn the Lakers into contenders.

Needless to say, my tv heard a lot of naughty language tonight.
shiboboo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:59 am

go_jays_go wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:Haha...I love it. The Celtics, I believe, easily had the best draft given their position. To get Green, AND Gomes......I'm stunned. In 2-3 years, the dynasty will be back :-D .

Yeah..The Raptors could have had Green TWICE, but Babcock is the worst thing that ever happened to that organization.

Although I am mad that we passed up Green, I think Villy and Graham will be decent. Also, to get Roko Ukic at 41st overall is a pretty big steal in my books. He was projected top 5 PG in the draft.

For the 2nd straight year, The Toronto Raptors have totally wrecked my mock draft. I got the first 6 right, and then I was expecting a Granger/Green pick for the Raptors, but exactly like last year they shocked me with Villenueva. Atleast it wasn't as bad as Araujo last year, atleast Villenueva was projected in the top 15. With the 2nd pick, I wanted them to take Green/Granger again as i had now easily lost the competition on nbadraft.net fro mock drafts, but they take a pretty good player in Joey Graham, who i would have been happy taking at the #16 spot originally. I believe this will be a great pick for them, as he provides defense and toughness to a team that has none of it.

I don't think anybody can blame Babcock for drafting Villenueva at the #7 spot even if they want to, because from what I understand, Embry is running the show in Toronto right now and not Babcock. So he must have thought it was a good pick for Toronto as well. Or maybe there is just a trade in the works for Magloire :-?

I believe Roko Ukic is the steal of this draft, easily up there with Green at #18. The Raptors were thinking of taking this guy at #16 and got him at 41st overall. He is a seasoned Pro up there in Europe, who has great vision, and i predict he will come in and start over Rafer Alston. He was the 4th ranked PG in alot of team's books and was projected in the late teens to early twenties.

As for the Raptor's record next year, well it won't be good, they didn't draft a center, and they still have the same problem they've had for a long, long time. You can't win in the NBA without a true center, and no Rafael Araujo doesn't count.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:11 am

don't be so hard on the brazilian beast. :-o :-b he'll prove a lot of people wrong and be a great contributor to the team. ;-7
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk