Roberto Alomar to the Red Sox? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roberto Alomar to the Red Sox?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roberto Alomar to the Red Sox?

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:39 pm

yesterday ESPN had a headline of "Alomar headed to the Sox?"; I am not an ESPN insider so I couldn't read the story, but I assumed it was speculation about Roberto Alomar going to the Red Sox. Do you think this is a realistic possiblity, and would this even be good for the Red Sox? Todd Walker has a 20 game hitting streak and has been doing real well recently. Do you think Roberto Alomar is worth picking up?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:27 pm

rotoworld says...
Roberto Alomar - 2B - New York Mets Jun 6

A National League executive told The Boston Globe a Roberto Alomar-for-Todd Walker swap of second basemen could be in the works.
Both players are in the final year of their contracts. Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino said he wasn't aware of that rumored deal. It does sound a bit odd. The Mets aren't going anywhere and don't receive anything of future value for Alomar? The Red Sox trade one of their hottest hitters for a guy who hasn't played against lefties recently? If anything, it sounds like a fantasy trade -- Walker at the top of his value for Alomar at the bottom of his. Source: New York Daily News
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby craigandthem » Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:21 pm

I live in Boston and was listening to Sports Talk last night, and Larry Lucchino said he has no idea where this rumor came from, but there is absolutely no chance that it'll happen. Was he telling the truth? I have no idea, but thats what he said.
craigandthem
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby EricF » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:09 pm

Today's New York Post says a rumored Alomar-to-Boston trade appears to be a longshot at this moment, especially since Alomar continues to be plagued by a sore left hip flexor. GM Steve Phillips scoffed, saying, "There's nothing to that rumor." But Alomar knows if things don't pick up for the Mets, he'll probably be headed somewhere before the trade deadline.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:40 pm

honestly, i think they greatly exaggerate some of insider stories to get people to subscribe to it. some of the insider stuff is pretty good, but some of it seems to have little basis and hardly worth reporting.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby pilambp » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:43 pm

I agree with the Guest Poster... ESPN needs to draw interest to their "Members Only" area somehow, and it seems that they take the longshot trades and overplay their likelyhood. If they put up a headline "Vlad headed to NY?" with a members only link, people would subscribe to find out what the deal was even if the article was filled with speculation about the Yankee's chances at signing him as a free agent after this year.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Baseball Leftovers