I Lost My Mind - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I Lost My Mind

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: I Lost My Mind

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:20 am

toofunnyy wrote:
thehat wrote:
theclefe wrote:
LionsandTigersOhMy wrote:I was trying to drop J Mays and accidentally clicked J Mauer. This is on CBS and I was wondering if anyone knew if it could be rectified. Would you email the CBS people, or post on my message board what happened. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.


Don't post anything. People will wonder why you dropped him and may be turned off. Mauer isn't exactlly lighting it up with his sporadic playing time, so there is a good chance you can grab him again.



Are you kiddin'? Mauer will be claimed IMMEDIATELY.

As for Lions...I think you're screwed, plain and simple. Your only shot is to post on the message board plus e-mail each owner if possible to explain what happened and hope they act accordingly. Unfortunately, the chances of that happening in a public league are remote.


uhh mauer isn't that good. he's a FA in most of my leagues.


If your leagues have 10 or more teams, you're not playing with very smart owners.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24808
(Past Year: 373)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:07 pm

I don't know, I'd probably just post that you made a mistake on your message board. If it's a legitimate goof, I'd have no problem letting you pick him up again. Losing your waiver priority is probably penalty enough.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8847
Joined: 4 Jan 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cheap Seats

Postby theclefe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:12 pm

With it not being a keeper league, Mauer hasn't produced enough to be an automatic pickup. The only reason why someone would grab him is because of his name, because his numbers are far from desireable.
Image
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 1747
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rakeville

Postby baseballnewb » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:14 pm

If someone picks him up they'll drop their C. The 10th best C in baseball isn't much worse than Mauer, so you don't lose out on all that much.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 629
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:16 pm

theclefe wrote:With it not being a keeper league, Mauer hasn't produced enough to be an automatic pickup. The only reason why someone would grab him is because of his name, because his numbers are far from desireable.


:-? The guy is so hyped and numbers have been better than you think. Look at his career %s and ratios. I don't see how he doesn't get picked up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... atsId=7062


good luck getting him back!
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theclefe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:35 pm

nuggets wrote:
theclefe wrote:With it not being a keeper league, Mauer hasn't produced enough to be an automatic pickup. The only reason why someone would grab him is because of his name, because his numbers are far from desireable.


:-? The guy is so hyped and numbers have been better than you think. Look at his career %s and ratios. I don't see how he doesn't get picked up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... atsId=7062


good luck getting him back!


If he starts playing, I fully expect him to put up big numbers, but he sits out every three games. Numbers and ratios are great, but in a single season league when a young player isn't producing half way through the season, it is reasonable to believe he won't improve consideraby in the second half. At least, not enough to signifigantly help out your team. Minnesota has given no indication they plan on playing him more, so I don't think there is much allure.

As a Mauer owner in a keeper league, I wouldn't think about moving him. For the rest of this season though, I see him as a speed bump in my offense.

His name more than anything will get him picked up. 26 Rbi's won't.
Image
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 1747
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rakeville

Postby gws226 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:39 pm

I did that once...... dropped Curis martin when I intended to drop Curtis Conway...... needless to say the commish was the one who grabbed him off waivers, and had zero intention of giving him back :(
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 994
Joined: 4 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:51 pm

theclefe wrote: Numbers and ratios are great, but in a single season league when a young player isn't producing half way through the season, it is reasonable to believe he won't improve consideraby in the second half. At least, not enough to signifigantly help out your team. Minnesota has given no indication they plan on playing him more, so I don't think there is much allure.


That's a pretty slippery comment. The reasons to believe a young player will not significantly improve his numbers for the second half have more to do with other factors than just low production levels in the first half. Can you show me why it is reasonable to believe Mauer will continue at the current pace?
Last edited by nuggets on Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:53 pm

i accidently dropped rasheed wallace in my public league this year and posted about it, but he was taken anyway. that being said, wallace had more value than mauer at this point, but i doubt mauer will slide if its a 12 team league. i share your pain though man :-/
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Postby theclefe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:09 pm

nuggets wrote:
theclefe wrote: Numbers and ratios are great, but in a single season league when a young player isn't producing half way through the season, it is reasonable to believe he won't improve consideraby in the second half. At least, not enough to signifigantly help out your team. Minnesota has given no indication they plan on playing him more, so I don't think there is much allure.


That's a pretty slippery comment. The reasons to believe a young player will not significantly improve his numbers for the second half have more to do with other factors than just low production levels in the first half. Can you show me why it is reasonable to believe Mauer will continue at the current pace?


I am speaking more on the impression of Mauer to prospective owners. A young catcher, highly touted, has seemingly underperformed (due to lack of playing time). With only 6 homeruns, 26 Rbis and and 22 runs, he ranks around 15th among catchers in production. Even though his batting average ranks sixth among starting catchers, with only 205 at bats it carries less of an impact.

Assuming a majority of the owners in his league have a clue, why would they drop their catcher for boardline production? Not only that, but they should know Mauer's playing time is not expected to increase in the near future. They would have to gamble that a rookie hitter, who could very well be a year or two away from reaching his potential production will suddenly meet in in the second half.

That would be a high risk move for most in my opinion. Not to mention, he was just inexplicably dropped by a team. That would raise red flags with me, and I certainly wouldn't waste a waiver priority on him unless my catcher died recently.

To answer your queston, it is hard to put a hot streak together playing sporadically. In fact, I am surprised and impressed he has put up these numbers so far. The only hope I see for more playing time is in September whent he Twins are in the playoff hunt, and they need to rely on Mauer and Morneau a bit more.



Lions... what is the status? Keep us updated.
Image
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 1747
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rakeville

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 31
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(3:40 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact