D. Ortiz and 1B - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

D. Ortiz and 1B

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

D. Ortiz and 1B

Postby Nerfherders » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:31 pm

So I have David Ortiz as my 1B in my keeper league, signed for 4 years and playing fantastic baseball.

But our league follows Yahoo's old rule of 15 games this year, or 15 the previous for position elig., and Ortiz has only 9 games at 1B so far, 8 of which came in NL parks. So I'm very worried about his status next year, because this guy is too damn good to be stuck in a UT spot (UT is for a 5th OF, almost always.)

So Ive been waiting for a Millar DL stint, but then I realize that they have Olerud as well. Will Ortiz ever play 1B even if Millar goes down? Is there any other hope for me? An injury in RF perhaps?
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:52 pm

UT spot is for the best player that doesn't already fit a regular slot.

having delgado and teixiera or arod and aramis is what you'd ideally want. not delgado and a 5th OF or arod and 5th OF.

if you got ortiz at utility, consider yourself lucky.

unless your other 1B is erstad or something.

if you got even klesko or ibanez level, that's ok too. whether your top hitter is 1b and your uti player 5th OF, or your 1b a "5th OF" level hitter or your uti your top hitter, you get the same # of fantasy points.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dice » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:01 pm

Ortiz getting 15 starts at 1B is extremely iffy, but he'll produce better at UT than whichever 5th OF you find.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zoinks » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:19 pm

Ortiz is not going to spend any more time at 1B with Olerud & Millar around instead. It's still not a bad problem to have, though.
Zoinks
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby reznorsboy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:44 pm

You want the best player left after filling your positions to be at UT!!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:57 pm

Agreed you want the best player available at UT that isnt already filling another position. THat said, i really dont think he hits the 15 game mark needed in my league either so i went ahead and traded him a few days ago for just that reason. I would be thrilled to leave the draft with him in my UT position. However going INTO the draft with that position already filled takes away a LOT of flexibility needed at the draft, so i see where your coming from.

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby theclefe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:05 am

Zoinks wrote:Ortiz is not going to spend any more time at 1B with Olerud & Millar around instead. It's still not a bad problem to have, though.

It is a terrible problem. I understand his concerns. Having Ortiz without 1b eligibity really handcuffs you. In a given week, I have had Blaylock, Nick Johnson and Jaun Pierre in my utility spot. the position gives you the flexability to go after categories you need during crunch time. If you have Ortiz taking up that spot, then you are restricted when you need to go after non-power stats.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Laean » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:24 am

theclefe wrote:
Zoinks wrote:Ortiz is not going to spend any more time at 1B with Olerud & Millar around instead. It's still not a bad problem to have, though.

It is a terrible problem. I understand his concerns. Having Ortiz without 1b eligibity really handcuffs you. In a given week, I have had Blaylock, Nick Johnson and Jaun Pierre in my utility spot. the position gives you the flexability to go after categories you need during crunch time. If you have Ortiz taking up that spot, then you are restricted when you need to go after non-power stats.

pierre i understand (if he was playing up to his normal level), but blalock and nick johnson shouldn't even be mentioned. anything they will do for you for a week or whatever ortiz will equal or do better. your problem in that situation isn't lack of position flexibility with ortiz, it's that you got too many good trade chips you aren't utilizing efficiently to help out your team elsewhere and maximizing your team's potential. either that or you're playing in an 8 team league.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gws226 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:28 am

it does cause a bit of pain losing the eligibitily @ 1b next year, I doubt he'll make the 15 games too......

But, on the bright side of things, @ least is Ortiz playing in your UT, and 1B is traditionally a strong position to find solid offense.

It could be worse, imagine having Frank Thomas or to an extent Hafner only available for UT instead?
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers