Bret Boone - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bret Boone

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby smith1051 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:07 pm

thehat wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Boone isn't a fantasy factor unless you're in a league with more than 12 teams. Why are we still talking about this formerly roided up bum still? :*)

Can't disagree with you on his fantasy value, as it's vanished. I think this was just more real life trade talk than fantasy.

That said, if he does get dealt, I bet he goes on a mini-rampage for a week or two. New surroundings have a way of breathing temporary life into many a veteran.

Yeah I was going on real life not fantasy
smith1051
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:09 pm

smith1051 wrote:

He still is the most valueable fielding second basemen in the MLB, IMHO.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:14 pm

nuggets wrote:
smith1051 wrote:

I'd probably place Kent's defense over Boone's, and maybe M. Giles', but there's no doubt that he's quite the fielding 2B.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:24 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
nuggets wrote:
smith1051 wrote:

I'd probably place Kent's defense over Boone's, and maybe M. Giles', but there's no doubt that he's quite the fielding 2B.

KENT! Are you crazy! Sorry to be so boisterous but Boone's emotional ways have inspired me in this thread! Giles you probably could make an arguement for, but old man Kent!?! 8-o
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:42 pm

Boone's defense is overrated. He was good a few years ago but isn't the same fielder now. I know defensive statistics aren't the best, but there's no stat that has Boone anywhere near the top defensive 2B:

Looking at ESPN.com's fielding stats, these are Boone's numbers (out of 16 secondbaseman who qualify with enough innings played):

Fielding Percentage--.977 (12th)
Range Factor--4.51 (16th)
Zone Rating--.743 (16th)

If anything, his defense has been brutal. He also has 7 errors and only one other secondbaseman has made more errors than Boone this year (Soriano, with 13).
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:53 pm

After my own research I must say 8-o and retract the absoluteness of my earlier post. The numbers support Kent more than I thought. I know Boone can get to balls that Kent cannot, and turns the double play better than anyone but I didn't expect to see what I did from http://www.baseballprospectus.com/

There is a lot you have to look at when evaluating a fielder, a lot more than fld% and ZR and after intensive discussions about it on this site I have determined that only a large difference in fielding stats can determine the better fielding. IMO, the only real way is to watch them and that's a whole new skill in it's own.
Last edited by nuggets on Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:55 pm

nuggets wrote:After my own research I must say 8-o and retract the absoluteness of my earlier post. The numbers support Kent more than I thought. I know Boone can get to balls that Kent cannot, and turns the double play better than anyone but I didn't expect to see what I did from baseballprospectus.

There is a lot you have to look at when evaluating a fielder, a lot more than fld% and ZR and after intensive discussions about it on this site I have determined that only a large difference in fielding stats can determine the better fielding. IMO, the only real was is to watch them and that's a whole new skill in it's own.

Yeah, Boone used to be one the best fielding secondbasemen ever...he's certainly regressed recently.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:56 pm

nuggets wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
nuggets wrote:
smith1051 wrote:

KENT! Are you crazy! Sorry to be so boisterous but Boone's emotional ways have inspired me in this thread! Giles you probably could make an arguement for, but old man Kent!?! 8-o

Second Base Defensive Statistics:

2005: 7 E, 237 A, 132 PO, in 621 Innings so far
2004: 7 E, 374 A, 276 PO, in 1189 Innings
2003: 11 E, 354 A, 278 PO, 1116 Innings
2002: 16 E, 412 A, 293 PO, in 1259 Innings
2001: 9 E, 390 A, 269 PO, in 1171 Innings

So, yeah, I'd take "old man Kent", who has done quite well for himself manning the middle infield this century, and before then.

EDIT: You posted your retraction while I was typing this post. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:00 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Second Base Defensive Statistics:

2005: 7 E, 237 A, 132 PO, in 621 Innings so far
2004: 7 E, 374 A, 276 PO, in 1189 Innings
2003: 11 E, 354 A, 278 PO, 1116 Innings
2002: 16 E, 412 A, 293 PO, in 1259 Innings
2001: 9 E, 390 A, 269 PO, in 1171 Innings

So, yeah, I'd take "old man Kent", who has done quite well for himself manning the middle infield this century, and before then.

:-D

4 ('98 in the NL) Gold gloves for Booner to......

none .

:-D
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:05 pm

davidmarver wrote:
nuggets wrote:After my own research I must say 8-o and retract the absoluteness of my earlier post. The numbers support Kent more than I thought. I know Boone can get to balls that Kent cannot, and turns the double play better than anyone but I didn't expect to see what I did from baseballprospectus.

There is a lot you have to look at when evaluating a fielder, a lot more than fld% and ZR and after intensive discussions about it on this site I have determined that only a large difference in fielding stats can determine the better fielding. IMO, the only real was is to watch them and that's a whole new skill in it's own.

Yeah, Boone used to be one the best fielding secondbasemen ever...he's certainly regressed recently.

I'm a biased Cubs fan, I'll take Sandberg.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers