Bret Boone - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bret Boone

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Laean » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:48 am

as a padres fan i hope they don't make this trade.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:52 am

WittyC wrote:
thehat wrote:Boone is still a superb second baseman defensively. He's slipped a notch from where he was, but he's still upper echelon.

His offense is questionable at this point. But he has shown a few signs of warming up since taking the week or so off. I'm not about to predict great things for him in this regard, but at least there's signs of life.

In other words, he's worth a shot if a team doesn't have to sell the farm to get him.

Hit it on the head. ;-D

I'm just not sure SD needs to make a move before the deadline. A solid 3B would be nice, but there just aren't that many to go around.

Isn't Joe Randa just an older version of Sean Burroughs, anyways? Maybe a little more power, but I don't see him as a significant upgrade. They would probably need to deal an OF to get anything decent back, and since Klesko and Giles both have big contracts, it would probably be X-Nad... and it would be a shame to give him up after he's finally starting to put it all together.

Randa has more homeruns this season than Burroughs has in his career. Almost anything would be an upgrade offensively from single-man.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BobbyRoberto » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:35 am

I don't have any confidence that Boone will turn it around. He's not as good defensively as he once was. The San Diego ballpark is one of the few that's even tougher to hit in than Safeco. I wouldn't want him on my roster.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:38 am

Boone isn't a fantasy factor unless you're in a league with more than 12 teams. Why are we still talking about this formerly roided up bum still? :*)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby thehat » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:41 am

bigh0rt wrote:Boone isn't a fantasy factor unless you're in a league with more than 12 teams. Why are we still talking about this formerly roided up bum still? :*)

Can't disagree with you on his fantasy value, as it's vanished. I think this was just more real life trade talk than fantasy.

That said, if he does get dealt, I bet he goes on a mini-rampage for a week or two. New surroundings have a way of breathing temporary life into many a veteran.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BobbyRoberto » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:40 pm

If he gets traded to San Diego in the next few days, he'd finish up with 3 games against San Francisco's woeful pitching staff, then 4 games in Houston and 3 in Colorado before the All-Star break. Those hitter's parks could temporarily make it look like Boone is back on track, but still, buyer beware.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby amich1 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:07 pm

point of order: The mariners already pawned off one overpaid, washed up infielder to the Padres (Cirillo) & i highly doubt the Pads organization will fall for that one again. I'm a huge mariners fan, which is why it pains me greatly to admit that Seattle is becoming a place where infielders (3rd baseman in particular) head out to pasture....
J.Lo? I knew her back when they said "Hey, ho".
amich1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:17 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Ss long as he could go back to using them roids he woul dbe fine...else he is the same old stiff.
;-D
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:19 pm

amich1 wrote:point of order: The mariners already pawned off one overpaid, washed up infielder to the Padres (Cirillo) & i highly doubt the Pads organization will fall for that one again. I'm a huge mariners fan, which is why it pains me greatly to admit that Seattle is becoming a place where infielders (3rd baseman in particular) head out to pasture....

Cirillo did a lot of good things for SD last year. Especially vs. Sea.
How washed up is a player with a .280 average, .809 OPS and 4 SB currently?

Your diagnosis that SEA IF "head to pasture" is premature. Morse is showing very well.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:33 pm

amich1 wrote:point of order: The mariners already pawned off one overpaid, washed up infielder to the Padres (Cirillo) & i highly doubt the Pads organization will fall for that one again. I'm a huge mariners fan, which is why it pains me greatly to admit that Seattle is becoming a place where infielders (3rd baseman in particular) head out to pasture....

You do realize the Padres got the better end of the deals they've had with Seattle, right? The Padres unloaded Kevin Jarvis and Wiki Gonzalez who had unfavorable contracts for Cirillo...Mariners covered most of Cirillo's contract...so, basically, it just freed up roster spots for the Padres. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers