Rules for a good keeper league?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rules for a good keeper league??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rules for a good keeper league??

Postby Jester » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:34 pm

Where can I find how to put together a keeper league?
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:37 pm

I started one two years ago and we're still going. We keep 5 players from year to year. Head to head scoring, 5X5. Last place team gets first pick in the next draft. First place team gets last pick. A downside to only having 5 keepers is that you don't get to watch guys develop.

I'd go auction style with a salary cap. In the process of moving our league to a salary cap league.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby baseball6791 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:39 pm

for a keeper league, you run it like a regular league, but the commish has to keep track of keepers during the off season. if you check the classifieds forum you can find people/leagues to join. i'm actually starting one for next year if you are interested, just take a look at the link in my signature ;-)

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:07 pm

We've been running the same keeper league now for it's 7th season, and we have a few basic rules...

- You select 10 players at the end of the fantasy regular season to be designated as 'Keepers.' The Commish makes a record of this. The way we handle things is, once we determine draft order, the first 10 rounds of the next season's draft is simply to fill our rosters with our Keepers. After the first 10 rounds, we draft normally from the players who were not kept from the prior season.

- A rule that I absolutely love in our keeper league is that during a season, once you drop a player, the team that drops him cannot pick him back up for the rest of the season. Makes you think twice before you go picking up and dropping guys left and right. It's no where near a necessity for keeper leagues, but I love having it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:20 pm

Here is what we use...

Hitting Categories:
- Home Runs
- Stolen Bases
- RBIs
- Runs
- Batting average

Pitching Categories
- Wins
- Saves
- ERA
- WHIP
- Strikeouts

Keeper Rules:

1) Where no written rule exists, we will follow the standard Yahoo league rules.

2) Player remains on waivers for 2 days.

3) Draft:
First years draft will be a live Yahoo draft, subsequent drafts will take place offline in a Yahoo Group (message board), beginning March 1st. The
draft order the first year will be a random snake draft. For all the redrafts, the ordering will be reverse of the previous years standings. Depending
on how many and which players you kept, teams may start drafting in different rounds.

4) Keepers:
* You may keep anywhere from 0 to 4 players
* You can keep a player from 1 to 3 additional years.
* You must declare how many years you are going to keep the player... one, two or three additional years.
* Nomenclature for a keeper will be X-Y/Z where X is the round the player was drafted in, Y is the current year of
the players contract, and Z is the number of years this player is being kept for. For example, if you drafted Lance
Berkman in the 10th round and at the end of the season you declared him as a keeper and signed him for two years, his
nomenclature would then be 10-1/2 and 10-L the following year (L = last year).
* Keepers must be declared by Feb 1st.
* If you draft a player in the 8th round and decide to keep him. From then on he is slotted as your 8th round pick if you
keep him for one extra year. If you keep him for 2 years he gets slotted as a 7th round pick, if you keep him for a three
years he gets slotted as a 6th round pick. Therefore, a player that you draft in the first round may only be kept for one year,
and a player that you draft in the 2nd round may only be kept for two years.
* Any player picked up off of waivers and kept at the end of the year, gets slotted as a 15th round pick.
* If you receive a player in a trade and he was a keeper on that other team's roster, he gets slotted onto your roster the
same as he was on his previous team.
* If two or more players on your team get slotted into the same round, the following "collision formula" is used to determine into which round
your players get slotted.

******** Collision Formula ********
If n (n > 1) number of players are slotted in the same round, then n-1 number of players are moved down one slot. This process is repeated until there
are no more collisions. If there are more than one collision, then you start with the collision closest to the first round. If you are forced to lose a
draft pick (due to dropping a keeper) that already has a player slotted in that round, then that player is moved down one slot and if any collisions occur
due to moving down one slot the collision formula is used on those two players.

* You may drop a keeper player in the last year of his contract without any penalty. There is a penalty for dropping a keeper player before the last year of his
contract. The penalty for dropping a keeper before the last year of his contract is, add up all the years left on contracts of all the keeper(s) you dropped,
multiply this number by 2, and then subtract that number from 21 (number of players on team). Whatever this number comes out to be, you will then lose your
draft pick in that round, and you will then make that pick at the end of the draft. If you already have a player slotted in the round that you had to lose your
pick in, then the "collision formula" is used to determine what happens to the player that was already slotted there.

5) Trades:
Can only be vetoed by a league vote. Trade deadlines are set to Yahoo default. There are no offseason trades allowed. When a player gets traded,
so does his keeper status. If Team A trades Mark Prior 4-1/2 to Team B, then his contract status of 4-1/2 goes with him to Team B.

Terminology:

Collision: A collision is when more than one player on a team are both slotted as being drafted in the same round. The collision formula will be used to slot each player into a unique round.

Examples:

Example #1:
Crawford 3-1/3 -> Crawford was drafted in the 3rd round and is being kept for three years, which would slot him as a first round draft choice.
Crawford 3-1/2 -> Crawford was drafted in the 3rd round and is being kept for two years, which would slot him as a second round draft choice.
Crawford 3-L -> Crawford was drafted in the 3rd round and is being kept for one year, which would slot him as a third round draft choice.

Example #2:
Say you drafted the following players in 2005 and decided they would be your keepers.
A.Pujols 1-L
B.Lidge 5-1/2
Ol.Perez 6-1/2
M.Mussina 13-L
S.Sosa 14-1/2
Z.Grienke 19-1/3

Pujols would be your 2006 1st round pick.
Lidge would be your 2006 4th round pick.
Ol.Perez would be your 2006 5th round pick.
Mussina and Sosa would both be slotted as your 13th round pick. The collision formula would give you...
Mussina would be your 2006 13th round pick.
Sosa would be your 2006 14th round pick.
Grienke would be your 2006 17th round pick.

In 2007...
you would lose A.Pujols.
B.Lidge would be 5-L
Ol.Perez would be 6-L
you would lose M.Mussina
S.Sosa would be 14-L
Z.Grienke would be 19-2/3

and any players that were drafted or picked up off of waviers or acquired via trade in 2006 could be in this mix.

We just started this league and hopefully it works out great.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Re: Rules for a good keeper league??

Postby keeperleaguegm » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:08 am

I have posted a great set of rules that serve as the basis for at least 4 Fantasy Baseball Keeper Leagues. Paul Kraemer, our commissioner permitted me to share...they're pretty cumbersome, if you want to download the PDF, click here: http://www.keeperleaguegm.com/category/ ... ague-rules

Mike Caprio
Keeper League GM
keeperleaguegm
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Steve-o » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:27 am

The number of keepers and the length of the rules will depend greatly on the people you play with. If this is your first or second year playing together and it is a money league, I suggest having a very limited number of keepers (4 or less, and I lean to the less part of that) to maintain a high interest in the league and to be able to fill slots when an owner drops out.

If it is a non-money league and you have confidence that your owners will be at it for a long time, then you can start getting into the more complicated rules.

Most people don't consider the issue of replacing owners when setting up their league rules, but this is absolutely critical because you will have people drop out from year to year. You need to establish these rules from the very beginning. You need rules on replacing teams and possibly expanding to more teams as well. Also, I find it is helpful to have rules on contracting teams. You don't want to be saddled with a terrible owner for years. Again, less complicated rules with less keepers for money leagues, more complicated rules for free leagues with groups that you believe will stay together.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:52 am

keeperleaguegm wrote:I have posted a great set of rules that serve as the basis for at least 4 Fantasy Baseball Keeper Leagues. Paul Kraemer, our commissioner permitted me to share...they're pretty cumbersome, if you want to download the PDF, click here: http://www.keeperleaguegm.com/category/ ... ague-rules

Mike Caprio
Keeper League GM

A relief win is worth negative points?

So a guy can come into a tie game, K three batters, and lose points if his team wins the game in the bottom of the inning???

And a blown save is already negative points, so a situation where he blows a save and gets the win is actually worse.

:-S :-S :-S
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby keeperleaguegm » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:03 pm

JT:

In a vacuum you are absolutely correct, negative relief wins make no sense. What it was designed to do is create balance between RP and SP's (primarily closers to starters). There are cases when a middle reliever gets burned on an appearance basis, but the totality over the course of a week, and most importantly a season, average out.

There really is no "best" Keeper League rules which is why I posted ours for discussion and reference. Take what you like and leave the rest, that's the point of collaboration.

Happy drafting,
Mike
keeperleaguegm
T-Ball Trainer

Postby JTWood » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:26 pm

keeperleaguegm wrote:JT:

In a vacuum you are absolutely correct, negative relief wins make no sense. What it was designed to do is create balance between RP and SP's (primarily closers to starters). There are cases when a middle reliever gets burned on an appearance basis, but the totality over the course of a week, and most importantly a season, average out.

There really is no "best" Keeper League rules which is why I posted ours for discussion and reference. Take what you like and leave the rest, that's the point of collaboration.

Happy drafting,
Mike

Yeah, I mean... To each his own and all, but it seems like a complicated way to do what Innings Pitched essentially does.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers