Chris Carpenter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chris Carpenter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:38 am

All I know is the dude's flat getting it done. If he keeps it up, should be a good battle with Dontrelle for NL Cy.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:39 am

Yoda wrote:Oops... not sure why I posted 10 times but...

Clearly Yahoo weighs countables at a much higher value than the averages. Halladay is ranked behind Carpenter despite the same number of W's, better ERA and a much better WHIP. Makes no sense.

And Carpenter has 20 more Ks. That is why. Any way you cut it, Carpenter is one of the top 3 pitchers so far.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:39 am

Clearly, Carpenter is having a super season. He is also in the middle of a hot streak. ESPN's player rater is a better tool for rankings although it does not adjust the numbers for position:

http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/flb/reques ... 1&Param4=0
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 am

I don't think it's all that outlandish...

K/9:
Halladay - 6.71
Carpenter - 8.87

Carpenter has allowed less hits, less homeruns, has allowed one more earned run than Halladay, has 3 CGSOs to Halladay's 2, identical record...

It's not like you're putting some flopping pitcher ahead of Halladay so far this year. Roy's ERA and WHIP numbers are better than Carpenter's, but not by a ton, and beyond that, other than K/BB, Carpenter edges him in a lot of areas. So while I don't think Yahoo! has the greatest rankings, I certainly wouldn't call them garbage.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Cooner » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:42 am

Clearly Yahoo weighs countables at a much higher value than the averages. Halladay is ranked behind Carpenter despite the same number of W's, better ERA and a much better WHIP. Makes no sense.

Well, ERAs are 2.51 to 2.77 (for Halladay) and WHIPs are 0.94 to 1.12 (for Halladay), but Carpenter has Halladay by 21 Ks. It's tough to say without actually working it out, but I'm guessing that the differences in ERA/WHIP is small when you consider that they're both tiny compared to a replacement player's ERA/WHIP (roughly 4.00, 1.35), while the difference in projected Ks for the season is much bigger relative to a replacement player's Ks (about 130).

I agree- I think Yahoo tends to overweight countables a bit- but in this case, I think Carpenter takes the top spot.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:48 am

Cooner wrote:

Well, ERAs are 2.51 to 2.77 (for Halladay) and WHIPs are 0.94 to 1.12 (for Halladay), but Carpenter has Halladay by 21 Ks. It's tough to say without actually working it out, but I'm guessing that the differences in ERA/WHIP is small when you consider that they're both tiny compared to a replacement player's ERA/WHIP (roughly 4.00, 1.35), while the difference in projected Ks for the season is much bigger relative to a replacement player's Ks (about 130).

I agree- I think Yahoo tends to overweight countables a bit- but in this case, I think Carpenter takes the top spot.

I don't want to take anything away from Carpenter's accomplishments so far but he is definitely not the best pitcher. He is certainly belongs in the best group but he is not the best.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:04 pm

I don't think he is -- or will be anywhere close to -- the best pitcher, but like Pogo said, it's not really a surprise to STL fans. He had a great year last year before he broke down and missed the playoffs which would have really put him on the map IMO. The only question with Carpenter is the same one that he's always had, staying healthy.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby mamorris » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:49 pm

Yoda wrote:
Cooner wrote:

I don't want to take anything away from Carpenter's accomplishments so far but he is definitely not the best pitcher. He is certainly belongs in the best group but he is not the best.

I ran the numbers through two different player raters (rototimes.com and baseballmonster.com), and in both cases Halladay came out ahead of Carpenter. Pedro and Willis also came out ahead, so I'm putting Carpenter at #4 at best so far. I think (but I can't prove) that Yahoo doesn't weight ERA and WHIP for the pitcher's IP. That would explain why he's ahead in Yahoo, since Halladay's not getting as much credit for the lower ERA and WHIP as he should. Ditto Willis and Pedro.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:51 pm

mamorris wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Cooner wrote:

I ran the numbers through two different player raters (rototimes.com and baseballmonster.com), and in both cases Halladay came out ahead of Carpenter. Pedro and Willis also came out ahead, so I'm putting Carpenter at #4 at best so far. I think (but I can't prove) that Yahoo doesn't weight ERA and WHIP for the pitcher's IP. That would explain why he's ahead in Yahoo, since Halladay's not getting as much credit for the lower ERA and WHIP as he should. Ditto Willis and Pedro.

and it takes the thread back to where I posted 10 times about Yahoo's ranking system being garbage. Period. ;-)
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cooner » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:58 pm

ok, so i went and ran their projected stats through my own VORP calculations, in my setup for Yahoo standard leagues (1250 inning limits, 2 SP, 2 RP, 3 P), and got Halladay, Dontrelle, Pedro, Carpenter, in that order. My stuff slightly emphasizes WHIP (since I think it's a better predictor of consistent dominance than the others, and generally my WHIP predictions are more accurate than any of the others), but it wouldn't change that much if I gave even points for each category (which I guess I shoulda done but forgot until now). So you win- Carpenter isn't the best contributer so far. But it's darn close amongst all 4 of them- each one in that order is worth a dollar more than the next ;-D
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers