What Would you fix the yanks if you ran things... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

What Would you fix the yanks if you ran things...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:59 pm

DannyMyron89 wrote:yes defenitly read it, it made me sick to my stomache too, it just shows how terrible run this team has been since that 9th inning against arizona...

great article Buster

Is that actually part of the book "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty" or is it just an article based off the book?

I thought the book had been written much earlier than the Red Sox World Series thing, which is why I was surprised it went that recent in history.

If that's actually part of the book, I'll consider reading it to get an even better idea of what was going on. :-?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dimaggio5 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:22 am

Ahhh this is a jucy thread....

1) Reinstall Gene Micheal and give him greater autonomy over the scouting and player evaluation. Make him the head trading person whose evaluation on players is the final word.

2) Demote Cashman to head contract negotiator on contract liason. Let him work out the contracts as he is really good at it but really sucks at player evaluation and trading. (gabe white, felix heridia, jeff weaver, jaret wright...need i say more)

3) Personally kick Billy Connors rotund ass out the door. He's labeled a major and minor league pitching guru by George. If he was such a guru then who are his proteges that he's responsible for in the majors? Answer not one. He has not developed any mijor leaguer into higher talent at the pro level not one. IN fact there was a time for 3 years that every and I mean every minor leaguer pitching prospect for the Yanks developed arm problems that required surgury, The commonality is that almost all were under the tuteledge of Connors. As far as major leaguers jsut who has he helped in the majors? In fact I think he has hurt more major leaguers than helped. Did he help Irabu, Weaver, Brown, Clemens when he struggled his first year with the Yanks, Contreas the BIG project, Kenny Rogers, who? It is acknowledged in baseball that theYanks have a pitching problem within the organization. The problem just well may be Billy Connors. His sorry ass is Fired if I was in charge.

4) I'd fire every one in that Tampa Bay posse of George and I mean everyone from top to bottom no exceptions and especially Dwight " I can deliver my cousin Gary Sheffield" Gooden.

5) I'd bring back the real brains in the dugout behind those Joe Torre moves during the WS run....Don "steel head" Zimmer

6) Hire the best scouts possilble for North America, Latin America and Aisa. Plus restructure the whole scouting heirachy under Gene Michaeal's guidance.

7) Trade for prospects any prospects....Sheffield, Womack, Gordon, Quantrel, Brown, Sierra, Stanton. Maybe and this really hurts, trade Bernie and Posada too.

8) Just get rid of Giambi any way possible cut and eat the contract or trade him where we'll eat 10-14 million of his contract but take some low level prospects back. Any prospects.

9) Rebuild the team around these players for the immediate S-T.....

SS - Jeter
3B - Arod
2B - Cano
OF - Matsui
DH - Tino/Williams
CL - Rivera
LRP - Groom
RRP - Rodriquez
Long man - Sturtze
SP - RJ, Mussina, Pavano, Wang

Longer term

SS - Jeter
3B - Arod
2B - Cano
OF - Matsui
CL - Rivera
SP - Pavano, Wang

Then start the process all over again like Gene Micheals did way back in 93-98. Shrewd and selective FA signings, trades and amatuer player draft and developement.

Forget Kotsay I think he nothing special IMO and won't solve any long term problems. Byrnes too. What he's 27 years old I think and if he's hasn't peaked by now when will he? When he's in his 30's and only has 3-4 years of prime left? Pass Also forget all that other junk out there this year. I like Lilly alot and hated to see him go but the guy's had what 2 arm surgeries in the last 3 years? "Danger Danger" said Robie the Robot. Pierre, sorry pass on him too plus we already have Womack so why do we need a slightly better verson of Womack who can play CF? If we didn;t already have Womack I'd consider the deal but 2 scrappy speed hitters will not win the Yanks a chamionship nor help us long term. Cameron....love his defense I really do but I also really hate his bat. A 220-240 average is really ugly and would also not help a offense looking for guys who can hit in the clutch and have a decent slugging percentage.

Helton is wasting away in Colorado, He'd be a nice fit for the Yanks to sandwich in front of Arod and Matsui or SHef. Hits for Average, Excellent slugging percentage and he's a lefty. The Yanks have no power or threat on the left side and this makes the righties vulnerable to righties. Matsui so far has not shown he can hit 40-50 HR's 30 looks like his max. Plus if he is slumping or being "pitched" to then the righty hitters are in trouble. He is our only threat on the left side. Look at last years ALCS against the Bosox. Their righty pitchers killed us. Giambi, Posoda and Williams don;t exactly scare anyone anymore from the left side so this exposes Shef and Arod and evern Jeter. Plus is Cano ready and when he is I see him more of a average gap hitter and not a power threat. Helton drives the ball like Paul Oniell use to and this is what the Yanks need. A drive hitter in his prime not a hacker like Giambi and Sierra. How does this look?

Jeter R
Cano L
Helton L
Arod R
Matsui L
Shef R
Posada S
Williams S
TBD

With this lineup the core is Jeter, Cano, Helton, ARod and Matsui. 2 lefty power hitters for Yankee stadium and Arod sandwiched in the middle. Plus power hitting righties are easy to come by so finding someone to bat behind matsui should not be that difficult just finding the "right" clutch player will be

IF the Yanks were really a smartly run organization and Cashman actually had a clue don;t you think that instead of trying to trade for a Kotsay or Cameron whose potentials in my opinion is very limited or at or near their peaks that maybe a name like Austin Kearns would be a better fit. High Risk High Reward but maybe the price would be right. Pena (ex Yankee prospect) looks like he locked in to the Reds future and Kearns is the odd man out in AAA. Austin Kearns is high risk right now but this is the type of player that has loads of potential and would fit perfectly on the Yanks if he can recover his batting prowness. Remember a few years ago this guy was considered a better all around hitter than Adam Dunn.
Last edited by dimaggio5 on Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:23 am

Gammons (yeah, I know, he's an ass) was just talking about the Yankees meeting tomorrow on BB2N.

He said a bunch of crap until the end when he said he thinks Steinbrenner will begin to listen to Gene Michael, who's the most reasonable mind they have. He proceeded to say that if he gives control to Michael and Cashman, you won't see an overhaul, just a few deals to bring in some youth and possibly a CF like Kotsay or Randy Winn ( :-o ).

Re-assuring words, whether from Gammons or not.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DannyMyron89 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:34 am

i of course agree with Dimagiio, good old Jolten Joe...

Connors has to go!!!
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Minor League Skilz » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:45 am

Great post Dimaggio.
You are right on the money even though a few of those things will never happen (like Zim coming back).

Hopefully Gammonds is right about Michaels having an influence on these meetings.

Even this hot and cold yankee team will have a decent chance at the wild card. And even though this team doesn't give you that warm fuzzy feeling, the yanks in October are still dangerous.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:09 pm

Mike and the Maddog on WFAN New York 660 just reported that Stick Michael was invited to the Tampa meetings and is there as we speak...

helllll yessssssss....
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DannyMyron89 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:44 pm

Awsome, George has one of the ebst baseball minds going right now on his side its about him he takes advantage of it.

now if only George can get suspended again ;-D
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to New York Yankees