What Would you fix the yanks if you ran things... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

What Would you fix the yanks if you ran things...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: re. Bronx Bomber

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:35 pm

SonsofSlam04 wrote:Bronx Bomber perhaps you are too young to realize that Darth Steinbrenner had a lifetime ban put on his large TUCKUS in the early 90's. It was then where Gene Michael(Genius) and Buck Showalter handled all the baseball operations and put together what eventually became the Championship Teams the Yankees fielded in the late 90's. Now that Darth is back at the helm, he runs a team like you and I run a Fantasy Baseball team .. acquire the best players, regardless of their personal makeup. He is doing what he did in the mid 80's, buy this player and buy that player and if that doesnt work , blame everyone except HIMSELF. I repeat I hope the Yankees never win another game while Darth Steinbrenner is alive.

Dude, I am young but I know he was banned in the early 1990's.

But how is it a 'lifetime' ban if he's back at the helm now? That's not 'lifetime'.

I agree that he doesn't run the team the right way, and I wish I could talk to him for 5 minutes to convince him that he needs to put Gene Michael back in charge. Gene Michael is the man.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:18 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
SonsofSlam04 wrote:Bronx Bomber perhaps you are too young to realize that Darth Steinbrenner had a lifetime ban put on his large TUCKUS in the early 90's. It was then where Gene Michael(Genius) and Buck Showalter handled all the baseball operations and put together what eventually became the Championship Teams the Yankees fielded in the late 90's. Now that Darth is back at the helm, he runs a team like you and I run a Fantasy Baseball team .. acquire the best players, regardless of their personal makeup. He is doing what he did in the mid 80's, buy this player and buy that player and if that doesnt work , blame everyone except HIMSELF. I repeat I hope the Yankees never win another game while Darth Steinbrenner is alive.

But how is it a 'lifetime' ban if he's back at the helm now? That's not 'lifetime'.

Umm, Bronx, SonsOfSlam is correct. Fay Vincent handed down the lifetime ban on Steinbrenner in 1990. Steinbrenner appealed the ban three years later and Vincent lifted it. But at the time it was handed down it was a lifetime ban (and still hangs over his head if he ever gets in trouble again) partially because he had already pleaded guilty to a felony and been suspended 2 years by MLB in the mid-1970s.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:46 pm

Amazinz wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Umm, Bronx, SonsOfSlam is correct. Fay Vincent handed down the lifetime ban on Steinbrenner in 1990. Steinbrenner appealed the ban three years later and Vincent lifted it. But at the time it was handed down it was a lifetime ban (and still hangs over his head if he ever gets in trouble again) partially because he had already pleaded guilty to a felony and been suspended 2 years by MLB in the mid-1970s.

Ahh, I see. What was he banned from though? He still owned the team, what couldn't he do?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DannyMyron89 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:52 pm

About Kotsay, if they bring him in thats just more juggling for the Yankees to do, its hard have kotsay in ceneter and find time for Womack, Bernie, Tino, Giambi, and still get Matsui in that lineup...

if any Yankee fan, or baseball fan for that matter wants to read this article, it is kinda long (6 pages) but is a great documentary on the yankees following the 2001 World Series when good old George really started making his own decisions...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... 1491&num=1

anyway i agree with alot of people here that they should get back to listening to Gene Micheals... i was listening to Mike and the Dog about two weeks ago and they had Stix on and he said that he hasnt recieved any calls all year from George or the Yankees asking for his advice, so Good ol George has one of the great baseball minds on his side, and he doesnt use him...

he should sign the checks and thats it, leave everything else to the guys who know baseball...

one more thing, i hope to god they dont trade Robinson Cano or Weng, and i hear they have some real good talent in the lower levals, but they are real dry in AAA... (not like u guys didnt know that anyway)
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:34 pm

DannyMyron89 wrote:About Kotsay, if they bring him in thats just more juggling for the Yankees to do, its hard have kotsay in ceneter and find time for Womack, Bernie, Tino, Giambi, and still get Matsui in that lineup...

if any Yankee fan, or baseball fan for that matter wants to read this article, it is kinda long (6 pages) but is a great documentary on the yankees following the 2001 World Series when good old George really started making his own decisions...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... 1491&num=1

anyway i agree with alot of people here that they should get back to listening to Gene Micheals... i was listening to Mike and the Dog about two weeks ago and they had Stix on and he said that he hasnt recieved any calls all year from George or the Yankees asking for his advice, so Good ol George has one of the great baseball minds on his side, and he doesnt use him...

he should sign the checks and thats it, leave everything else to the guys who know baseball...

one more thing, i hope to god they dont trade Robinson Cano or Weng, and i hear they have some real good talent in the lower levals, but they are real dry in AAA... (not like u guys didnt know that anyway)

I don't think getting Kotsay in NY would create problems. You just are going to have to tell Womack, Sierra and Tino that their roles are going to be severely minimized.

Tino didn't sign here to play everyday anyway. You can play him every once in a while at 1st to spell Giambi, put him in for defensive purposes, and pinch hit him if needed.

Sierra can be used as a big bat off the bench. He's been pretty much a pinch hitter since he's been in NY anyway, I doubt he'd be angry with Mark Kotsay coming to NY.

Womack is the one guy who would lose a load of playing time. You can't play him at 2nd over Cano, in CF over Kotsay, in LF over Matsui, or DH over Bernie. If they hold onto him, he'd be a pinch runner and can pinch hit if they need a sac-bunt or something.

I've heard that if Mark Loretta isn't coming back for a while, San Diego could be interested in Womack. That would probably be best, just to get rid of him. It's not fair to him to sign him for two years to play 2B, force him to move to LF, then CF, then ultimately the bench. Just give him away to a team that can use him for a cheap ransom. Then everyone is happy.

Giambi should be at 1st base and Bernie at DH, so those two will be fine. Kotsay in CF, Hideki back to LF.

BTW, I think I've read bits and pieces of that Buster Olney article, but I'll read the whole thing for kicks. Thanks for providing it...

Oh, and I completely agree with you about Cano and Wang. Cash has said he won't approve any trade that ships them out of New York, and I hope the organization sticks by his word.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:35 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Ahh, I see. What was he banned from though? He still owned the team, what couldn't he do?

He was allowed to maintain ownership and that was it, no baseball operations at all including finances. Michaels ran baseball operations and his son? (not sure, I think so) ran the financial aspects of the business. Michaels was just the GM but had an incredible amount of power over the Yankees for awhile there and in retrospect did an awesome job which is why he gets so much credit.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:56 pm

I heard Gammons say (yes I know he's usually wrong) that Michaels is back in Steinbrenner's good graces and will get to have more say. I hope to god he's right for a change.

The meeting in Tampa tomorrow is kind of scary though; hopefully only Michaels is allowed to talk or at least invited :-o and they don't listen to the likes of Billy Connors etc who have accomplished nothing.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:20 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:I think if I ran the Yanks I would get younger studs instead of giving old people tons of money....I would also pay A-Rod less.....I have him on my team....but I don't think he's that great he comes through on all the games he doesn't have to...the 20-0 blowout. He's not clutch and the Yanks need to be clutch to win they always have been....with Jeter and all...but you saw that stat, while scoring under 3 runs the Yanks are 0-26....that is NOT clutch.

You can't pay A-Rod less. He's been one of the two best players on our team by far this year, and he has been coming through in big situations more and more as of late. He's been a complete turn-around from what he was last year.

I've already posted several times what the Yankees need to do to start winning. First of all, they need to can the entire Tampa faction and start listening to Gene Michael again. Second of all, they need to fix their minor league and amateur scouting system. Third of all, they need to stop choosing to sign old, slow and overpriced all-stars. They need team chemistry. They need a strong defense. They need guys who will be satisfied being roleplayers and not only care about hitting 50 homeruns get getting bonuses.

They need to go get Mark Kotsay. They need to bring in a Nick Johnson. They aren't the flashiest guys in the world, but either were Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill or Scott Brocious. If you rebuild the team with chemistry and roleplaying in mind, coupled with tremendous starting pitching, you will win.

Get young, get fast, get smart.

Bring in Nick Johnson? Maybe they shouldn't have traded him away :-b Giambis way better!
Seriously though, the Yankees are old. And their SP sucks. RJ has been a major bust of a signing, as has Wright, Brown from last year, etc. Pavano and Mussina haven't been bad, but they haven't been spectacular. 3 of their pitchers are getting up there, one is young and bad, and one is young and bad. They have no farm system either. They need prospects bad. Since they really have no trading chips besides Cano, who I don't think they want to deal, I think it would probably be best to start stocking up on younger players and forget this disaster of a season. I just don't see where they are going to get the help to win the division. Kotsay would be a nice pickup for them because hes a solid ballplayer, but hes not going to put them over the top.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:24 pm

Wow, I just read all 6 pages of the article. I couldn't stop. I just learned alot of things I did not know about the team and the way it's been run since 2001. Makes me sick to my stomach.

If you're a Yankee fan, I suggest reading it. It put alot of things in perspective for me... :-[
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DannyMyron89 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:49 pm

yes defenitly read it, it made me sick to my stomache too, it just shows how terrible run this team has been since that 9th inning against arizona...

great article Buster
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to New York Yankees