What Would you fix the yanks if you ran things... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

What Would you fix the yanks if you ran things...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What Would you fix the yanks if you ran things...

Postby DannyMyron89 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:06 pm

I am a huge Yankee fan and this is embarassing, they are just a discrace the way they are playing...

Steinbrenner should sign the checks and shut up, he makes too many dumb decisions and doesnt listen to Gene Micheals and his advisors, the best thing for him to do is get suspended again... (Also Cashman hasnt made the best decisions either, Brown and Wright stand out in my mind)

i have my own ideas for fixing this $200 million disaster known as the Yankees, but just curious what would you guys do???
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:14 pm

Well, first off, Cashman isn't a very good GM. Sure he's brought in some great talent, but you give anybody with half a brain $200 million to play around with, and you're gonna have some stars on your team; period. Cashman is a guy who, if both were free agents this off-season, would target Barry Bonds over Albert Pujols, because of Bonds' "career track record." An exaggeration, of course, but Cashman seems to not like going out and getting many players who aren't at least in their late 20s or into their 30s.

The Yankees need what they've needed since they stopped winning World Championships; starting pitching. Anybody who honestly believed in Jared Wright and Carl Pavano were fooling themselves in their fandom. Even Johnson, as dominating as he is, will be 42 years old in September. They need to plan further into the future than five minutes from now, which they haven't shown any ability to do recently. It's just been a series of filling in yearly holes and amassing as many All-Stars as possible. On paper it's great; but anybody who's watched over the past few years can tell you it's not the way to go.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby nsulham » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:17 pm

Just a heads up, I think there are already a few Yankee-fixing threads around ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LooseCannon » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:15 am

I think if I ran the Yanks I would get younger studs instead of giving old people tons of money....I would also pay A-Rod less.....I have him on my team....but I don't think he's that great he comes through on all the games he doesn't have to...the 20-0 blowout. He's not clutch and the Yanks need to be clutch to win they always have been....with Jeter and all...but you saw that stat, while scoring under 3 runs the Yanks are 0-26....that is NOT clutch.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Box » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:55 am

LooseCannon wrote:I think if I ran the Yanks I would get younger studs instead of giving old people tons of money....I would also pay A-Rod less.....I have him on my team....but I don't think he's that great he comes through on all the games he doesn't have to...the 20-0 blowout. He's not clutch and the Yanks need to be clutch to win they always have been....with Jeter and all...but you saw that stat, while scoring under 3 runs the Yanks are 0-26....that is NOT clutch.

Wow....that's just wrong. If anything, Arod has been the only thing keeping the Yankees' offense afloat. And you can't just up and break down someone's contract. Cash and Stein knew what they were getting when they signed Arod, a great player with an albatross of a contract.

Peter Gammons wrote:Batting when it really counts
Do you wonder which batters have had the most RBI opportunities this season. From the Elias Sports Bureau (through June 22):

Hitting with the most men on base this season
248 Rodriguez, Alex, NYY
238 Matsui, Hideki, NYY
237 Lee, Carlos, Mil.
232 Burrell, Pat, Phi.
225 Renteria, Edgar, Bos.
222 Pujols, Albert, St. L
221 Jones, Andruw, Atl.
220 Glaus, Troy, Ari.
218 Burnitz, Jeromy, ChC
217 Abreu, Bobby, Phi.
217 Ortiz, David, Bos.

Hitting with the most men in scoring position this season
131 Rodriguez, Alex, NYY
128 Lee, Carlos, Mil.
121 Matsui, Hideki, NYY
119 Jones, Andruw, Atl.
119 Renteria, Edgar, Bos.
118 Burrell, Pat, Phi.
116 Burnitz, Jeromy, ChC
114 Gonzalez, Luis, Ari.
114 Tejada, Miguel, Bal.
110 Bell, David, Phi.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jester » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:57 am

bigh0rt wrote:Well, first off, Cashman isn't a very good GM. Sure he's brought in some great talent, but you give anybody with half a brain $200 million to play around with, and you're gonna have some stars on your team; period. Cashman is a guy who, if both were free agents this off-season, would target Barry Bonds over Albert Pujols, because of Bonds' "career track record." An exaggeration, of course, but Cashman seems to not like going out and getting many players who aren't at least in their late 20s or into their 30s.

Its not that I fully disagree with what you are saying, its just that if the Yanks were +20 over .500 (which at the start of the season was not unfathomable) than Cashman's name would be considered a fine GM.

I think it has to rest on the players shoulders here. Talk all you want about their big contracts, they are still suposed to be the best of the best, and they are not showing it. A-Rod is putting up triple crown numbers, Sheff is coming around, and jeter is playing solid, but everyone else seems to be floating around. Their pitching is depressing.

I'm going to say that with the pressure that Cashman's under for "imidiate success", going out to get proven players is far from a bad idea.
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:10 pm

Well, obviously it would be nice to get some starting pitching and make the team younger, but that's easier said than done. It's something that they should have focused on in the past, but in terms of fixing it for right now, it's going to be difficult.

However, in terms of relatively easy things they can do to try to improve themselves this season without weighing themselves down in future years....

- Get Womack out of the OF! This is the AL East. Your leftfielder cannot be hitting .240 with no power.
- Get somebody who can play centerfield. Maybe Mark Kotsay?
- Add some stability to the situation at first base. I don't think Giambi will be any better offensively than Tino at this point, so I'd just rather have Tino there since he's so much better defensively. So yeah, I'd basically play Tino there every day.
- If Womack does happen to find himself in the lineup, he should always be hitting 9th, not 2nd.
- Get a 5th starter. Johnson, Mussina, Pavano is a perfectly good top 3 to the rotation. Wang has been fine. But Brown and Wright are injured, Henn clearly can't cut it, and Sturtz is needed in the bullpen. I don't think a star pitcher is needed. (Clemens would be nice, obviously, but I don't know who the Yanks have to offer.) I don't have specific names, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get a 4.50-ERA pitcher from a non-contending team. It would be a situation where the Yanks give up essentially nothing to get a mediocre pitcher (who is, nonetheless, better than what they have now) so that they don't automatically lose every fifth day.

Honestly, I don't think the Yanks should be counted out just yet. Most of their starting rotation is really pretty decent (assuming Johnson and Mussina can stay healthy), they can score plenty of runs, and they're bullpen is fine. Defense is nagging concern, but getting a legitimate centerfielder would help.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dice » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:48 pm

Box wrote:
Wow....that's just wrong. If anything, Arod has been the only thing keeping the Yankees' offense afloat. And you can't just up and break down someone's contract. Cash and Stein knew what they were getting when they signed Arod, a great player with an albatross of a contract.

Peter Gammons wrote:Batting when it really counts
Do you wonder which batters have had the most RBI opportunities this season. From the Elias Sports Bureau (through June 22):

Hitting with the most men on base this season
248 Rodriguez, Alex, NYY
238 Matsui, Hideki, NYY
237 Lee, Carlos, Mil.
232 Burrell, Pat, Phi.
225 Renteria, Edgar, Bos.
222 Pujols, Albert, St. L
221 Jones, Andruw, Atl.
220 Glaus, Troy, Ari.
218 Burnitz, Jeromy, ChC
217 Abreu, Bobby, Phi.
217 Ortiz, David, Bos.

Hitting with the most men in scoring position this season
131 Rodriguez, Alex, NYY
128 Lee, Carlos, Mil.
121 Matsui, Hideki, NYY
119 Jones, Andruw, Atl.
119 Renteria, Edgar, Bos.
118 Burrell, Pat, Phi.
116 Burnitz, Jeromy, ChC
114 Gonzalez, Luis, Ari.
114 Tejada, Miguel, Bal.
110 Bell, David, Phi.

Box, A-Rod is great, but those stats don't do a thing to prove it. If I read it right, they list how many RBI opportunities each player had, not what they did with them.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:25 pm

LooseCannon wrote:I think if I ran the Yanks I would get younger studs instead of giving old people tons of money....I would also pay A-Rod less.....I have him on my team....but I don't think he's that great he comes through on all the games he doesn't have to...the 20-0 blowout. He's not clutch and the Yanks need to be clutch to win they always have been....with Jeter and all...but you saw that stat, while scoring under 3 runs the Yanks are 0-26....that is NOT clutch.

You can't pay A-Rod less. He's been one of the two best players on our team by far this year, and he has been coming through in big situations more and more as of late. He's been a complete turn-around from what he was last year.

I've already posted several times what the Yankees need to do to start winning. First of all, they need to can the entire Tampa faction and start listening to Gene Michael again. Second of all, they need to fix their minor league and amateur scouting system. Third of all, they need to stop choosing to sign old, slow and overpriced all-stars. They need team chemistry. They need a strong defense. They need guys who will be satisfied being roleplayers and not only care about hitting 50 homeruns get getting bonuses.

They need to go get Mark Kotsay. They need to bring in a Nick Johnson. They aren't the flashiest guys in the world, but either were Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill or Scott Brocious. If you rebuild the team with chemistry and roleplaying in mind, coupled with tremendous starting pitching, you will win.

Get young, get fast, get smart.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Box » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:59 pm

Box, A-Rod is great, but those stats don't do a thing to prove it. If I read it right, they list how many RBI opportunities each player had, not what they did with them.

Youre right, I apologize. Here are his situational splits and you have a point. Although his .326 RISP is fantastic, his "close and late" numbers arent that good, but I dont know how ESPN identifies those. Seems he's better at getting on base and letting someone else drive him in.

Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to New York Yankees