Punt Saves? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punt Saves?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Punt Saves?

Postby Doughhead » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:11 pm

I have gone with a combination of K-Rod and B.J. Ryan this year and have amassed a putrid total of just 13 saves. I can't seem to get it right. One guy in my league punted saves from the outset and went with John Smoltz as a fifth starter in our lone RP spot. Another guy is tied with me at 13, but everybody else has at least 18 saves.

I just picked up Dan Haren, who has RP eligibility, when Josh Beckett went down. Should I give up on saves (at least until the all-star break) to try to catch up in some pitching categories (such as IP, Wins, and Ks) which I am hurting in a bit right now?

8-team, non-keeper 6X6 roto league (w/ OPS and Innings Pitched) and weekly changes.

C: Jorge Posada
1B: Albert Pujols
2B: Chase Utley
3B: David Wright
SS: Jose Reyes
OF: Manny Ramirez
OF: Miguel Cabrera
OF: Hideki Matsui
UTL: Jason Bay
BN: Brian Roberts

SP: Johan Santana
SP: Mike Mussina
SP: A.J. Burnett
SP: Jeremy Bonderman
RP: B.J. Ryan
BN: Dan Haren
DL: Josh Beckett
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jagfan21 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:14 pm

its only June, I would try to trade for a few and maybe pick one up down the road. Is Lyon available? Benitez should be back in another month or so too.

Lugo Watch: SB - 24 HR - 2

Rehab is for quitters.

(The Official Corey Patterson Screwed Me Over Club)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1087805#1087805
Jagfan21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Doughhead » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:19 pm

Jagfan21 wrote:its only June, I would try to trade for a few and maybe pick one up down the road. Is Lyon available? Benitez should be back in another month or so too.

I'm happy with B.J. Ryan as my closer, but I just wonder if I will ever be able to make up ground in this category with only one RP per team. Is it not a better option to try to improve on other categories, such as IP and Wins, even if it hurts my ERA somewhat?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby kentx12 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:22 pm

Is there any chance of trading for a Turnbow, Batista, Hermanson type of closer that you can start at SP?

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Doughhead » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:26 pm

kentx12 wrote:Is there any chance of trading for a Turnbow, Batista, Hermanson type of closer that you can start at SP?

Yeah, that's the other option. All of those guys are sitting on the waiver wire because it is just an 8-team league with only one RP per team. One guy picked up Hermanson for a couple of weeks to get caught up in saves. But then I figure I'd be killing myself in IP and Wins (and likely Ks as well).
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby jjigglers » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:57 pm

Doughhead wrote:
kentx12 wrote:Is there any chance of trading for a Turnbow, Batista, Hermanson type of closer that you can start at SP?

Yeah, that's the other option. All of those guys are sitting on the waiver wire because it is just an 8-team league with only one RP per team. One guy picked up Hermanson for a couple of weeks to get caught up in saves. But then I figure I'd be killing myself in IP and Wins (and likely Ks as well).

Not if you free up a spot that you're wasting on bench offense.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:17 pm

I'd make at least one transaction to pick up the best SP-eligible closer that you can. The more free spots you can free up, the better, so you can get more closers in your SP slots and gain ground in the saves category. Maybe go for a 2 for 1 trade with someone who needs a 2B.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers