Stealing Homers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Stealing Homers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:11 pm

moochman wrote:How old is Gomez? Isn't he in his mid to late 20s? I have little to no faith in a player who hasn't been able to cut it in the bigs by the time they're that old. There is a reason they're in the minors at that age. They lack major league talent. Seldom do such players develop enough in AAA to hang in the bigs.

The Tigers have been the proof of that pudding. How many guys have they brought up from the minors who were very young? Precious few. And the reason for that is their farm system has been run like a shambles starting with absolutely pathetic drafts punctuated by Randy Smith's reign of terror.
I don't think anyone out there thinks Gomez has much future in the majors, because he has severe plate discipline problems. A few guys take their time reaching the majors (Morgan Ensberg didn't establish himself until he was 26 the same age Gomez supposedly is now), but Gomez was only called up as an extra body in the outfield because Thames couldn't perform and Granderson needs to be playing in AAA. When Ordonez is activated, Gomez goes back down. But as I said, I'll take Gomez at this point in his career over that certain other outfielder that was mentioned by one of the other posters. Gomez is pretty insignificant in the Tigers' plans at this point.

By the way, it's finally sinking in how bad Randy Smith was, huh? It makes the Tigers' current farm system improvement look that much better. I remember doing a little dance the day Smith was fired.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Detroit Tigers