Stealing Homers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Stealing Homers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stealing Homers

Postby cmchampa2 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:34 pm

Is it just me, or is Nook Logan taking away about one HR a week? Man that guy can play some serious defense.

The man crush continues.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:00 am

With the return of Magglio imminent, he's earned the opportunity to spot start when RonDL White needs rest or has to take some time off for whatever reason. Also, he could be very useful as a a pinch runner for slow guys or a late inning defensive replacement for Craig Monroe, whom has to be figured to get most of the starts once Magglio returns. Depth can only be a good thing when we have a shot to play meaningful games late in the season.

Also important is we don't need to rush Granderson just yet while he K's away down in Toledo. He's already whiffed 86 times down there. At least he's being pretty productive otherwise.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Arlo » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:20 am

Agreed - he's definitely earned the opportunity to keep showing what he can do.

(And without wanting to start any rumors, you have to imagine that a couple teams will be inquiring about his availability, don't you?)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cmchampa2 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:58 am

Man, I'd hate to think Nook is on the trading block, but I guess it makes sense with Monroe a very capable CF himself and Granderson being the future and almost ready to take over. I wouldn't jump the gun on that trade, personally, because of how injury prone the Tigers' OF is. Plus, I'd rather move Granderson because those high K totals are scary for a guy that's not going to hit 40 HRs. Sounds like a poor man's Corey Patterson.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dannomyte » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:30 pm

I personally don't think Logan will ever be much more than a pinch runner/defensive replacement late in games on a good team. Sure he had a nice April but look at his numbers since then. They are below average. Now go back and look at his minor league numbers. Other than SB they are average at best. He only hit over .270 once and that was in rookie ball. Those of you talking about Granderson's high K totals should also know that Logan averaged 113 K's a year from 2001 - 2004. Sure Logan is young enough to prove me wrong and believe me I hope he does but I just don't see it.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:22 am

I can't imagine Logan would get very much in return, but then again someone could be desperate for a speedy, not so great offensive CF who can cover some ground. But with Rondell being who he is, Ordonez possibly taking a day off or DHing once every week or two, and Monroe not being the greatest defensive CF out there, Logan will still find his way into the lineup.

Rondell White could be very tradeable, but as long as we are a .500+ team and Ronell continues to be a key hitter, he'll be hard to get rid of. Ordonez, our big free agent signing, isn't going anywhere. Monroe, one of the few guys who will take a walk on our team, also isn't going anywhere.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:01 am

I've been impressed that Nook has hung in there as long as he has. Judging by his swing and how often he looks silly when a decent curve is thrown I was expecting him to be Toledo bound by now. But he has managed to scrap out enough hits to hold down the #9 spot on a mediocre team. That's right, I've upgraded the Turtles..er...Tigers to mediocre, right on the border of being competitve.
Defensively, if he had a strong throwing arm we would be talking about a elite level outfielder. His range is tremendous and he seems to have a flare for the dramatic with his thefts of so many HRs. One of the few nice surprises on offense this season. Just doesn't hit enough to bump Monroe or White.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:52 am

moochman wrote:I've been impressed that Nook has hung in there as long as he has. Judging by his swing and how often he looks silly when a decent curve is thrown I was expecting him to be Toledo bound by now.

On most other decent teams Logan would be back in the minors or at the very least on the bench. The problem with the Tigers is they don't have any other decent OF options besides White, Monroe and Logan to run out there with Magglio and Higginson on the DL. Granderson isn't ready. Thames was a flop. Gomez is hitting a whopping .100! Unfortunately, until Magglio gets back Logan is our best option.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:46 pm

Dannomyte wrote:
moochman wrote:I've been impressed that Nook has hung in there as long as he has. Judging by his swing and how often he looks silly when a decent curve is thrown I was expecting him to be Toledo bound by now.

On most other decent teams Logan would be back in the minors or at the very least on the bench. The problem with the Tigers is they don't have any other decent OF options besides White, Monroe and Logan to run out there with Magglio and Higginson on the DL. Granderson isn't ready. Thames was a flop. Gomez is hitting a whopping .100! Unfortunately, until Magglio gets back Logan is our best option.
I could care less about these "most other decent teams". They have their situations, and we have ours. The results speak for themselves. He's no stud with the bat, but the defense he has provided in CF and his speed are things he has provided us like no other. His occasional competence with the bat has been a plus. There are more than a few teams in this league who would be at a great disadvantage should one of their starting OFs have to miss significant time, so they weren't really all that bad off. I just don't see Logan as an "unfortunately" sort of player as you do.

I'm surprised we never saw Dmitri in LF this season. That was his primary position for most of his career, but I'm sure we can all understand why he's not going out there anymore (although would a game here and there really hurt?).

By the way, I can't believe I'm saying this, but go a bit easy on Alexis Gomez. He's only had 10 ABs (at the time of your post). I'm sure with enough at-bats he'll all the way up to .200, hehe. I'll even take him over "that second outfielder you mentioned that's on the DL" and his awesome .077 BA in 26 ABs.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:57 pm

How old is Gomez? Isn't he in his mid to late 20s? I have little to no faith in a player who hasn't been able to cut it in the bigs by the time they're that old. There is a reason they're in the minors at that age. They lack major league talent. Seldom do such players develop enough in AAA to hang in the bigs.

The Tigers have been the proof of that pudding. How many guys have they brought up from the minors who were very young? Precious few. And the reason for that is their farm system has been run like a shambles starting with absolutely pathetic drafts punctuated by Randy Smith's reign of terror.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Detroit Tigers