The Dreaded Inury: A Herniated Disc. Bad news for Vlady! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Dreaded Inury: A Herniated Disc. Bad news for Vlady!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Dreaded Inury: A Herniated Disc. Bad news for Vlady!

Postby kcs261 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:06 pm

Let me reiterate the point I've been making for months, a herniated disc is about the last thing you want to hear a player have, especially mid-season. If you own Vlady, and know somebody who takes this kind of injury lightly, deal Vlady for what you can get now. As it is, his production has taken a serious hit because of this injury. And even if doesn't need surgery, Vlady is NOT going to be himself this season. At a minimum, he's going to need the whole offseason to fully recover, especially when you consider that MTL plays on a hard turf surface. Find a sucker, spin it the best way you can, and unload him NOW, if you can get decent value!!
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:53 am

Now there's a panic job right there! I have Vlad and yes it worries me.. but it worried the guy in our league with Arod too when it was said in Spring training. So much so it worried him he traded Arod.. and has kicked himself since. I'm considering trade offers but if i dont get what i want for him.. or darn near close.. i'll have to bite it if he ends up out for the year or doesnt have a good year when he does come back. Cant give up on a player like Vlad so quickly.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kcs261 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:19 am

A panic? Total and utter BS. Vlad isn't even on my team. So Vlad's injury is nothing but good news to me. That said, I'll leave you with some names:

Kevin Brown last year

Edgardo Alfonzo in his prime

Jose Conseco in his prime

Shane Reynolds in his prime

Orlando Cabrera last year

A-Rod's diminished production (by his previous standards) this year, although his decline has been less than most.

etc., etc., etc., etc.,

The fact is that a herniated disc is the kind of injury that will tease you. You hear that the guy could be back in a few weeks, so you hold out a bunch of hope -- i.e. "the hernicated disc trap". So intead of dealing the guy or making appropriate moves to compensate, you hold him and don't figure out until it's to late that this is the WORST INJURY FOR FANTASY OWNERS! Accept it, digest it, and quit trying to argue about it. A player can't play at the same level when his back hurts every time he swings. He will also have a hard time playing on carpet -- when the carpet is probably one of the major reasons the injury occured in the first place. Further, you can't name me a SINGLE player who has not suffered some sort of a decline with this injury -- even a mild one.

So I would label everybody who doesn't take this injury serious GULLABLE. And you are the exact type of person I would pawn Vlady to if I had him. So for all of you fantasy owners with Vlad out there, unless your are in a keeper league, find yourself a Jack-in-a-Box and try to steal a healthy guy like Shawn Green from him -- who hasn't performed thus far. I almost guarantee that you could pull this kind of a trade off. Do it NOW! Vlady will not be Vlady this season. It's just the nature of this injury.

Don't fall into the trap that it will be different for you, either. That would be like dating a bad girl who has already screwed several of your friends over. But not you, right? For you, it's going to be different, eh?

Think again. :-t
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:43 am

Take a deep breathe.. you're gonna hurt yerself. I wasnt saying someone shouldnt trade him. Matter of fact i wouldnt havent traded him.. then this came out.. and im a lot more inclined to do so now. I've had a couple offers made to me since the news broke on him going to the DL. Green being one of them as a matter of fact. And i didnt say i wasnt going to take it. I was only saying that people shouldnt panic until they know something solid. They arent 100% sure thats whats wrong with him. Very likely it is.. but im waiting till he gets his MRI done before i jump ship on him. Im also not in the business of trading injured guys to others who arent fully aware of what may be wrong. You may be.. and thats your choice.
You make it sound as if Vlad has had the worst thing happen to him next to death. Different injuries affect different ppl in different ways. As far as deminished Arod for example.. that made me laugh. Yeah sure.. he's not on pace to hit career numbers..RIGHT NOW. But he's has a week like G.Anderson, which could be when they play the Expos, that he's right back on track. And hell.. even if he doesnt.. he's still on pace for 44HR 100+RBI and a .300BA. But i guess taking a HEALTHY GREEN.. Who's not up to his standards would be a wise choice. Because i mean if its you.. Arods pace of 44HR with injury is still worse than Greens pace of 16HR because Green is HEALTHY.. But i guess yer ALWAYS right in your world. I wish you were in my league. I'd have Pedro,Vlad,Giles and countless others because someone gets hurt you have a fire sale. Oh.. but wait.. i do have Pedro,Vlad.. and im still in 3rd and after this week i'll be tied for 1st. And when my players do come back.. there wont be me tied for 1st. Know why? Because ppl like you that panic the 1st sign of injury give your players to ppl like me that arent afraid to take risk and ride out a bad spell. GULLABLE?? Dont look to far sir.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:02 am

kcs261 wrote:. Further, you can't name me a SINGLE player who has not suffered some sort of a decline with this injury -- even a mild one.

You know.. i dont recall the injuries themselves but some players i got for next to nothing because everyone thought they couldnt come back strong from the "TYPE" of injuries they had. Last year: Pedro-20-4, Smoltz- NL saves record, W.Miller- Won 11 in a row. This year.. K.Brown.. with BACK injury.. 8-1 2.06ERA. <--nice decline there. JaunGone (name an injury he hasnt had) BA. 284 17HR 43RBi. Dont say it cant be done.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kcs261 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:21 am

First of all, Pedro IS on my team, and I haven't traded him away. So you lose on that point decisively. But then again, we aren't talking back injuries uniformally. We are talking about herniated discs. And when I see that a player has a herniated disc, then yes, I think every owner should seriously consider moving the player -- unless it's a keeper league. But other kinds of back injuries? Not necessarily.

Second, Brown needed a whole year off to come back from his herniated discs. Meanwhile, Miller did NOT have a herniated disc. He had a pinched nerve which is different. And Pedro, to the best of my knowledge, has never suffered from a herniated disc. Other back injuries, yes. But like I said, I'm not talking all back injuries.

In any case, I'm not telling you that a player's career is done after a herniated disc. All I'm telling you is that if it happens in mid-season, and it's not a keeper league, seriously consider shipping them out if you can get decent value. Players with this injury DO need a whole offseason, or significant time on the DL, to recover from this kind of injury. It is bad news...

Gullable? How about uninformed? I don't mean to be insulting, but I think a lot of people fail to differentiate between herniated discs and other back/neck injuries. Do the research, and then come back. I'm tell you, the success ratio for players with this injury is ridiculously poor -- in year one.

Finally, I don't think you can get pissed that I called you gullable when you said I was a panicker. If you can dish it out, you ought to be able to take it without whining. I've been playing fantasy balls for 5+ years and don't panic about anything. I just know, from past experience, that this is bad news.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

um

Postby rjforlife » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:04 am

ladies.....
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter