Is Pujols the best hitter in the league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Pujols the best hitter in the league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Pujols the best hitter in the league?

Postby Quaker » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:02 pm

This guy is unbelievable. He's only in his third season and he's already posted great numbers his first two years. After his performace tonight (3-3 double, HR, 2 RBIs, 2 Runs), he's batting .379 with 16 HRs and 45 RBIs.
I think that right now, Pujols is the best hitter in the league. I think he will be the best hitter in the league all year, and could be for years to come.
I don't care if he doesn't steal bases. I want to hear people's thought on whether or not he is the best hitter, and if he isn't, where does he rank?
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:20 am

He ranks #2. After Bonds.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Quaker » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:28 am

I think that Bonds has fallen off a lot this year. He isn't walking as much and he's striking out more. I think he'll finish well below Pujols in avg, and have around the same HRs- maybe a few more- and a few less RBIs.
Just my prediction, which isn't worth too much or else I'd be in the front office somewhere.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lepke » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:28 am

Since 2001 (When Pujols joined the league)

Pujols -- .337 average with 300 RBIs
Bonds -- .336 average with 279 RBIs

I realize the year isn't over yet, and even being the biggest Cards homer out there, I doubt Pujols will continue to hit near .380 but he's pretty on par with Bonds.

But I'd have to give my vote to Manny Ramirez. When that guy is on, he hits everything.
Lepke

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:49 am

Many around the league felt he was the 2nd best hitter after Bonds before this season. I'd still have to say he is #2.

I'm curious though, where would you guys expect him to be drafted next year after he loses 3B eligibility? He still has to be a first rounder, but how high? I could see him going with pick 3-5, but I'f I had the first pick, I would seriously consider him (assuming he is eligible at 1B/OF).

After this year, I'm not taking a SP in the first round. The big 3 are too big of a risk for me.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:22 am

Pujols has to show that he can hit for power though and end up with more than 40 homers to be a top pick in fantasy drafts. He's put up 37 and 34 in his first two years, and I know he's on fire so far this year but he first round picks really have to knock the cover off the ball or make up for it with 40 steals such as Sosa, Vlad, Soriano, Helton, ARod, and usually Giambi. Pujols has to finish with good numbers to move into become a top 5 pick.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:36 am

Pujols makes up for his lack of HRs and steals at least a little bit with all the runs he scores as #3 in the Cards order. That average covers a lot of ground too, and of course that three-position eligibility is the icing on the cake. He might lose the last one next season, but the rest will still make him a top 5-8 pick overall, though I still think A-Rod is a better first pick.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby BillyMafia » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:11 am

As great of a hitter he is he is just as great a person. He does a lot for the St. Louis kids here.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:23 am

Without his 3b eligibility next year I expect him to go 8-14 pick overall.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 379)

Postby fife76 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:30 am

He's top 3 for sure. I think he is #2 behind Arod. Pujols swings with what looks like very little effort. He is a natural hitter, and can do it all. Who do you guys compare him to?
fife76
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers