100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Haren vs. Mulder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Haren vs. Mulder

Postby wshnats20 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:17 am

Danny Haren 95IP 73Ks 5W 3.98ERA 1.26WHIP
Mark Mulder 94 IP 58Ks 8W 4.75ERA 1.40 WHIP

Guess we were right so far. Haren has been better than Mulder in everything but wins, but from the numbers Haren has been the better pitcher.
wshnats20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yanks#27 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:24 am

But with that potent cards lineup, he's bound to get more wins, and the more run support you get the more confidence. I think that Mulder will get his act together, and Haren will compile a very good year.
New York Yankees 2005 Champs
yanks#27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:34 pm

Well let's be honest, not like Haren is pitching like a Tom Seaver either. He's turned it up as of later, but an ERA just a smidge (great word) under 4 isn't fantastic.

Cardinal's broadcasters said this last night, and I agree, is that you want Mulder good and strong for the playoffs.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:45 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Well let's be honest, not like Haren is pitching like a Tom Seaver either. He's turned it up as of later, but an ERA just a smidge (great word) under 4 isn't fantastic.

Cardinal's broadcasters said this last night, and I agree, is that you want Mulder good and strong for the playoffs.

I don't buy the "saving it for the playoffs" thing. Not in this sport, anyway. This suggests that Mulder is not throwing his best pitches, because it somehow saves fatigue? Give me a break.

People in St. Louis are grasping at straws, because they realize they traded away a better, younger pitcher for someone who hasn't been right since before the break last season.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:37 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:People in St. Louis are grasping at straws

i think the excuse now is that mulder didnt think he needed to change anything so wasnt really listening to pitching coach dave duncan but after his latest pounding is now a little more open to changing some things. thats just a rumor going around. have no idea if there is any truth to it.

because they realize they traded away a better, younger pitcher for someone who hasn't been right since before the break last season.

dont forget about daric barton!
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Box » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:50 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:Well let's be honest, not like Haren is pitching like a Tom Seaver either. He's turned it up as of later, but an ERA just a smidge (great word) under 4 isn't fantastic.

I don't buy the "saving it for the playoffs" thing. Not in this sport, anyway. This suggests that Mulder is not throwing his best pitches, because it somehow saves fatigue? Give me a break.

People in St. Louis are grasping at straws, because they realize they traded away a better, younger pitcher for someone who hasn't been right since before the break last season.

Shortsighted. He's put in a quality start 6 of his last 7 starts with 4+ Ks in every one(4-1). Granted, pitchers do have hot and cold streaks but this is one you cannot discount.

Mulder, comparitively, has only put in 3 QS in his last 8 starts and only has 4+ Ks in 4 of his last 8 starts. (3-4)

No doubt StL will carry MM to more wins, but Haren is the far more attractive option just looking at the recent numbers.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mwb743s » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:15 am

As a STL fan-I am definetely watching Haren close and kick myself from time to time-but still have faith that Mulder will be fine in the long run.

As for fantasy though- anybody out there dropping Mulder to pick up Haren? Probably not.
Remember "I" before "E", except in Budweiser
mwb743s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: Al Hrabosky's Ballpark Saloon taking a leak in the urinal in front of the double sided mirror!

Postby TB13 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:22 am

Haren has been doing quite well over the last month of so. The biggest change with him has been the decreased amount of walks. While I doubt it, but he just might be better down the stretch than Mulder.
Haren's got good stuff and it appears that he is learning to use it.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stevethumb » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:28 pm

on a non-fantasy note...dharen makes 15x less $$ than mmulder
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:20 pm

stevethumb wrote:on a non-fantasy note...dharen makes 15x less $$ than mmulder

Agreed. People are still reserving hope for Mulder, I'm not so optimistic. :-/
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers