stealing first base - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

stealing first base

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

stealing first base

Postby rugby5513 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:53 am

when i used to play baseball, i thought that striking out and reaching first on a wild pitch was known as stealing first base. Why doesn't the majors record that as such a stat?
rugby5513
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stealing first base

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:54 am

rugby5513 wrote:when i used to play baseball, i thought that striking out and reaching first on a wild pitch was known as stealing first base. Why doesn't the majors record that as such a stat?

No, it's just recorded as a strikeout, and you get to go to first.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 55)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:59 am

Yeah there's no such thing as stealing first base. It's either a wild pitch or a passed ball. I have a baseball book of oddities that talks about a couple of instances where a player attempted to "steal first" from second in the old days but reverse stealing is illegal nowadays.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:07 am

Amazinz wrote:Yeah there's no such thing as stealing first base. It's either a wild pitch or a passed ball. I have a baseball book of oddities that talks about a couple of instances where a player attempted to "steal first" from second in the old days but reverse stealing is illegal nowadays.

Why would you want to do that?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 55)

Postby nsulham » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:12 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Yeah there's no such thing as stealing first base. It's either a wild pitch or a passed ball. I have a baseball book of oddities that talks about a couple of instances where a player attempted to "steal first" from second in the old days but reverse stealing is illegal nowadays.

Maybe so they could pad their steal totals? After all, steals were worth 1,000 points in points leagues back in the day ;-)
Last edited by nsulham on Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LooseCannon » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:12 am

Exactly why would you want to do that?

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nikku88 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:50 am

I had a cousin who tried to run to 3rd base instead of 1st. I'm not sure if he was going for the steal though.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chris8 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:54 am

nikku88 wrote:I had a cousin who tried to run to 3rd base instead of 1st. I'm not sure if he was going for the steal though.

:-b
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 117)

Postby Tavish » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:56 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:

It was pretty rare, but usually it was done with a man on third in an attempt to draw a throw from the catcher and double steal.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:19 pm

Tavish wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

It was pretty rare, but usually it was done with a man on third in an attempt to draw a throw from the catcher and double steal.

Yeah it was used as a diversion and it only happened a handful of times at best. Here's a little blurb on it from Wikipedia:

It is sometimes thought that first base can be "stolen", because the batter becomes a runner if the catcher fails to catch a third strike. But if the batter reaches first base as a result, it is recorded not as a stolen base, but as a passed ball or wild pitch. The last recorded instance of a player "stealing" first base during a conventional, caught pitch occurred on September 4, 1908. Detroit's Germany Schaefer, in a game against Cleveland, was on second base and his teammate Davy Jones was on third. In an attempt to draw a throw that would permit Jones to safely steal home, Schaefer bolted for first base. Cleveland's catcher didn't fall for the trick and held the ball, allowing Schaefer to "steal" first base. In another instance, after a botched double steal wherein the man on third (Davy Jones again), failed to try for home while Schaefer had reached second safely from first, Schaefer proclaimed that he'd try again, and darted back to first on the next pitch. This tactic of reverse-stealing has since been outlawed.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers