Browser hijack attempt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Browser hijack attempt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Browser hijack attempt

Postby Howie » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:28 am

hey. so ive been running ad aware, and it says i have a 4 browser hijack attempts in my "critical object" list. so, i then delete them like a normal critical object, except they dont seem to leave my computer, because when i run ad aware immediatly after running it the first time, the "hijack attempts" reappear on the "critical object" list . is this spyware? what can i do? i didnt really know where to ask so i asked here first :-B . thanks for your input.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3450
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: So Cal

Postby JTWood » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:11 am

Never heard of that. I'm interested to know what it is, too.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby reznorsboy » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:13 am

I used to get a message from ad-aware that it couldn't delete certain files because they where in use at the time and it would ask me if I wanted to do a scan upon next log-in and when I did that it usually got rid of the problem. That prolly doesn't help you but it might.
Image
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2617
Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:37 am

Have you tried deleting the objects in Safe Mode? I believe Ad-Aware operates in SM, if not there is an MS tool that does. That would be my first guess. If they are actually hijackers and not a false alarm, they probably use a DLL. These libraries are loaded at start-up and then locked by Windows. When you load Windows in SM only the core Windows DLLs are loaded and you should be able to delete them then.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Tavish » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:41 am

You might Google around for the specific files that are reappearing. They may be attached to a program you recently downloaded or may have altered the registry in ways that must be manually repaired.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11066
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:17 am

Amazinz wrote:Have you tried deleting the objects in Safe Mode?

I was about to ask that ;-D
Image
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2525
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Mezzanine Section 12 @ Shea

Postby shpuck » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:26 am

Tavish's suggestion is a very good one. Whenever something I don't recognize pops up, I google for it, and it usually comes up within the first two pages of hits.

If you're truly being hijacked by a parasite program, try running HijackThis! (it used to be spelled this way).

You can find it on Majorgeeks.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

It's a sophisticated program. I think there is the real possibility to damage your system if you're not careful. Fortunately, the site does a good job of helping you through the problems, and there are plenty of posts on tech forums to help. I used HijackThis! to clean up a friends computer who had a redirect problem to an advertisement site when she launched IE. Took me several hours, but was quite satisfied when I got it to work.

Hope this helps.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 469
Joined: 13 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Goleta, CA

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:36 am

I also run Registry Mechanic. That has really helped me a lot with past and future issues. ;-D
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:57 am

reznorsboy wrote:I used to get a message from ad-aware that it couldn't delete certain files because they where in use at the time and it would ask me if I wanted to do a scan upon next log-in and when I did that it usually got rid of the problem. That prolly doesn't help you but it might.


that's happened to me before also, i fixed it the same way you did.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6696
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 23 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:22 pm

shpuck wrote:Tavish's suggestion is a very good one. Whenever something I don't recognize pops up, I google for it, and it usually comes up within the first two pages of hits.

If you're truly being hijacked by a parasite program, try running HijackThis! (it used to be spelled this way).

You can find it on Majorgeeks.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

It's a sophisticated program. I think there is the real possibility to damage your system if you're not careful. Fortunately, the site does a good job of helping you through the problems, and there are plenty of posts on tech forums to help. I used HijackThis! to clean up a friends computer who had a redirect problem to an advertisement site when she launched IE. Took me several hours, but was quite satisfied when I got it to work.

Hope this helps.



thats all good advice. also make sure you are using the latest version of adaware. sometimes they update it and it will be able to remove things it previously could not. additionally, since i have plenty of space on my computer i use the tag team combo of adaware and spybot. they mostly overlap but occasionally spybot will be able to do something that adaware wont be able to and vice versa.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3766
Joined: 1 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: bored at work

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: caphskat, unioreimi and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Atlanta
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at NY Yankees
(12:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Detroit
(1:10 pm)
Cleveland at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:05 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Texas
(7:05 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(7:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at LA Angels
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Oakland
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
Colorado at Colorado
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact