14-team cafe roto keeper league, 9th overall pick
1. Beltre - i realize i probably could have got him in the second round and his performance thus far is more like a 20th rounder, but i still like him from here on out. coulda had teix, but not really anyone else i was considering here.
2. schmidt - what can i say, major buy low candidate at the moment, IMO.
3. M Giles - some pop is returning to his bat; i had him pegged for a better year than soriano. whoops!
4. K-rod - i liked this pick and i still do. great numbers thus far, although injury hurt his playing time. it's good to have a stud closer locked up for the forseable future.
5. Vazquez - i have javy on all of my teams this year, and i liked getting him at this spot. despite those first three games, his numbers are respectable and should improve as the season goes on. halladay went before him this round, and i wish he'd have sliped. i coulda had D. Lee, but you win some, you lose some.
6. shawn green - okay, probably early again. oye, what a mediocre first half for him. jason bay or andruw jones would have probably been better picks.
7. brian giles - liked him then, like him now. he's been very good thus far, and everything i could have asked for from this spot.
8. c. cordero - i'm a frickin GENIUS!
seriously, though, with him and cordero, i think i have the best relief core in the league (especially with gagne down), and will for the next 5 years. kolb was the next closer taken, and dotel the one before.
9. kaz matusi - i traded up to pick this guy. can you believe that?? i traded UP to pick this guy. other people in the league were irrate that i had grabbed him before they could. this was probably my favorite pick coming out of the draft.... OOPS!! coulda had livan, BJ Ryan, or *cringe* mark burehle.
10. randy winn - didn't run as much as i had hoped...
11. luis gonzalez - this one turned out well.
although pat burrell 6 picks later would have been a better choice.
12. kris benson - decent numbers so far, and missed time with an injury. he'll be solid the rest of the way, IMO.
13. a. boone - well, he had a bit of a slump early on.... tadahito iguchi would have been a better choice.
14. lyle overbay - i'm really high on this kid, despite his recent struggles. i think he'll have a good second half and will be under consideration for keeper status.
15. randy wolfe - heh. ramon hernandez or wade miller would have been a better option.
16. mike cameron - he's been up and down. posting numbers in line with what i had expected.
17. cliff floyd -
probably my best value pick of the draft. although gonzo comes close.
18. paul byrd - best value starting pitcher for me thus far. very nice ratios after a rocky start. i just wish he'd strike some people out! urbina, brazoban, and ted lilly were taken near this spot.
19. rick ankiel.
ryan freel is the man i should have taken.
20. kip wells - glavine, lowe, wells, and john thomson were taken after wells. thomson is the only one i might prefer, and he's been injured.
21. jorge julio - while he hasn't been traded in to a closer's job, his ratios have been pretty good. although today's drubbing by atlanta could change that.
22. luis matos - ensberg was taken with the next pick. doh! haren and bedard were also near this pick....
23. b. molina - i waited until everyone else had a catcher then took a guy who's out-performed half of them.
24. Ryan madson - good numbers and 3 vultured wins are nice.
25. nick johnson - okay, i take it back. THIS was my best value pick of the draft. i didn't have him doing anythign like what he's been putting up, but i had him high enough on my draft board to be excited when i got him. go, nick! scott hariston, julio taveras, and kenny lofton don't even compare.
26. ryan klesko - i had to drop him recently, but he put up solid numbers while he was playing for me. better than catalanotto and choi.