The official Cashman and Stottlemeyer will be fired thread. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The official Cashman and Stottlemeyer will be fired thread.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby yanks#27 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:40 am

None will get fired, if your a true Yankee then you gotta understand what these guys meant and still do. I stand by Cashmen, he bought talent and it's not his fault. I bet he's got something up his sleeve come deadline time. Stottlemyre can do nothing about the pitching woes, these are established pitchers who are probably too egotistical about help. I miss the good ole days. :,-(
New York Yankees 2005 Champs
yanks#27
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:33 pm

Mel will go soon. Unless the Yankee starters turn around NOW, I doubt that even Torre can save his friend. Mel just stinks and needs to go.

Cashman is a different story. I think his contract runs at the end of this season, and the likely scenerio is that he doesn't re-sign. I strongly doubt he'll be fired.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:10 pm

yanks#27 wrote:None will get fired, if your a true Yankee then you gotta understand what these guys meant and still do. I stand by Cashmen, he bought talent and it's not his fault. I bet he's got something up his sleeve come deadline time. Stottlemyre can do nothing about the pitching woes, these are established pitchers who are probably too egotistical about help. I miss the good ole days. :,-(

Vazquez, Contreras, Weaver, Wright and Pavano are established pitchers? Yeah right. They were all very good before coming to New York, and then the sh!t hit in the fan.

Cashman is at fault for several moves, though I don't hate him like TheYank04 does. He's made several big errors, and alot of the problems are his fault.

I desperately hope Stottlemyre retires at the end of the year. I like him but he's definately lost his touch. They need somebody new, ASAP.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:56 pm

Yeah well not unsurprisingly, another brain bashing today. A hurt RJ going tommorow. 7 games out. Could get swept by the Mets and be 8 after tomorrow. Cashman is going to go...someone is going to be fired. And hopefully if they are still this awful come mid July, a new GM will cut bait and trade away departing free agents and useless pieces for whatever prospects they can get.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jbones733 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:08 pm

cashman had an interview on local radio here in NYC, said at the deadline, they are gonna make moves for the furture as well as now, said they are not gonna trade Cano or Wang the only 2 remotely good real young guys they got.

he also said they are not gonna add more payroll, well maybe a little, but nothing sick, Cashman agreed 200 mil is absurd & if they cant win with that much, then forget it.

the rumor is they are gooing after Mark Kotsay , thell be making more economic moves like that
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:11 pm

Stottlemyre isn't getting fired midseason. The guy is a Yankee lifer and he's not just going to be disposed of mid-season. He won't, however, be back next year. Torre practically had to beg him to come back for this season.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:19 pm

Yankee Lifer...he coached the 86 Mets.

LiKe George is going to care if Torre gets upset after spending 200M for a .500 ballclub? What is Torre going to do, quit and lose all that money? Even if he does, all that means is George goes and gets a new manager for 06 to go along with a new GM and new coaching staff. I do not want to see Torre go, but his performace from 03 forward has been pretty lousy and if he insists on keeping guys that are not getting the job done (like Stottlemeyer) and wants to fall on his sword in protest, so be it.

Really does not matter though whether Stottlemeyer goes now or in October. As long as Cashman is not around to mess this team up even more come July. The more you watch them, the more you have to come to the conclusion that this team just is not pennant caliber and trying to put a baand-aid on the Titanic to plug a hole or two is not going to get it done and not in the long term interests of the team. There are just way to many gaping gashes.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:40 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Yankee Lifer...he coached the 86 Mets.

LiKe George is going to care if Torre gets upset after spending 200M for a .500 ballclub? What is Torre going to do, quit and lose all that money? Even if he does, all that means is George goes and gets a new manager for 06 to go along with a new GM and new coaching staff. I do not want to see Torre go, but his performace from 03 forward has been pretty lousy and if he insists on keeping guys that are not getting the job done (like Stottlemeyer) and wants to fall on his sword in protest, so be it.

Really does not matter though whether Stottlemeyer goes now or in October. As long as Cashman is not around to mess this team up even more come July. The more you watch them, the more you have to come to the conclusion that this team just is not pennant caliber and trying to put a baand-aid on the Titanic to plug a hole or two is not going to get it done and not in the long term interests of the team. There are just way to many gaping gashes.

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with you about everything. Under no circumstances would I ever want to get rid of Joe Torre, but his 'guys' just aren't getting the job done. You can't keep Stottlemyre around just because of Torre. Eventually you have to do what is best for the team. They need to get rid of Mel, and if Torre wants to leave, well then, there's nothing you can do. That's ultimately his decision.

Hopefully the team does start to make more economic moves, and stop shipping off their youth for old, slow, and overpaid names. As crazy as it sounds, the only way it would make sense for the Yankees to go after a Clemens or a Schmidt would be if they were in first place by a few games. At least then, getting a stud like Roger or Jason would solidify your place in the playoffs, and most likely World Series. If you have a chance to win the World Series, then you have a reason to go spend the extra $20 million or whatever the cost is to get Clemens.

But spending $20 million dollars and giving up valuable prospects for a 'possibility' of the playoffs, is just insane. If the Yankees don't improve their stance by July 18th or so, after the 4-game series in Fenway, it's time to count their losses and move on. They need to sell off players like Gordon, Sheffield and possibly even Matsui (but go after him hard in the offseason, thus giving Matsui up as a 2-3 month rental before getting him back). I'm not sure who else they can move as other contracts are much too big to move (Brown, Wright, Pavano, Giambi, Womack, Quantrill, etc.)

Hopefully they revert back to what made such strong teams in the 1990s, and stop trying to field a team of all-stars. I say good for them, if they decide to go out and get a Mark Kotsay. It's about time they went out and got a roleplayer who can play solid defense, and who will play a positive role in the clubhouse. Enough with the Gary Sheffields and the Kevin Browns of the world. Enough.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:48 pm

Yup. Sheff is not a problem though. One of the few actually doing his job more or less. Guys they could move if they decided to cut bait include Gordon, Sturtz, Sierra, Womack, Quantril. What you get for each obviously varies. Brown and Wright and Bernie and and Giambi are basically unmovable. They might have been able to eat all of Brown's contract and trade him to a NL contender if he was ealthy, but now forget it.

Brown and Bernie are gone after this season thankfully. As to Matsui, I would agree you could deal and re-sign, but from a PR perspective with all the Japanese media and money George makes, I can't see Matsui going anywhere even for 2 months.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:57 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Yup. Sheff is not a problem though. One of the few actually doing his job more or less. Guys they could move if they decided to cut bait include Gordon, Sturtz, Sierra, Womack, Quantril. What you get for each obviously varies. Brown and Wright and Bernie and and Giambi are basically unmovable. They might have been able to eat all of Brown's contract and trade him to a NL contender if he was ealthy, but now forget it.

Brown and Bernie are gone after this season thankfully. As to Matsui, I would agree you could deal and re-sign, but from a PR perspective with all the Japanese media and money George makes, I can't see Matsui going anywhere even for 2 months.

While I agree that Sheffield has not be detrimental on the field, to me, he represents alot of what is wrong with the Yankees. He's a tremendous player, one of the greatest hitters of the last decade, but his whole attitude and personality is what irks me. It seems like a direct opposite to what made the dynasty teams so strong. There weren't any Sheffields' on those teams, everyone was eager to help with the team. Sheff doesn't seem like that type of guy, he never has been in the past either. He isn't the big problem, but I think the whole Yankee personality and feel would be much more positive if there were less attitudes like his, and more like say, Paul O'Neill.

Thank the Lord that Brown's contract is off the books after this year, and Bernie's is also a big chunk off the payroll. I don't wish to see Bernie leave though. I still think he can be an effective hitter if you can split his time at DH with someone. I didn't like seeing Tino leave in 2001 after all he did for the team, and I'd hate to see Bernie leave even more, as he's been my favorite player for a long time. Never complains, does what he's told, even though he's been treated unfairly sometimes.

I did think about the Matsui situation, and I know that the media would make it very hard to do. In a perfect world though, it would be a nice strategy to utilize. You can deal him to a contender for some fairly decent prospects, and then sign him right back, esentially losing nothing and gaining some youth.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers