Vernon Wells - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vernon Wells

Postby wshnats20 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:39 pm

is he any good?I know he had a great 03 season, but he didnt do much in 04 and has done very mediocre in 05. does he have any more potential than his 03 season. just interested in some info on this guy.
wshnats20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Vernon Wells

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:56 pm

wshnats20 wrote:is he any good?I know he had a great 03 season, but he didnt do much in 04 and has done very mediocre in 05. does he have any more potential than his 03 season. just interested in some info on this guy.

Yes he's good.

In 03' he was a beast, but then again Delgado was ahead of him. Still, V-Dubb is a great player and will produce greatly. In 04' he was injured for a bit. He's relatively a slow starter, but he will start killing the ball..I guarentee it ;-D

So if your pursuing him in a trade, I'd go for him ;-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Surfs up » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:18 pm

I don't know guys. Wells came back Monday and hit a homerun. Did nothing after that until tonight . He was 3-4 but no rbi, or steals. Kind of a dull 3 hits. No production. Is he good? Yes is he better then most. I say no. I think we are in for an average year with Wells. I have him and its not looking good. Slow starter? Its the 24th of June. He has hit some homeruns but the steals are down. The average is down. The runs are down. In a 5x5 AL only his numbers are poor in three out of the five. I would love to eat crow on this one but not looking good.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:59 am

i'm a big vernon wells fan.

last year he was being bothered by injury, so i don't really think you can blame him for the down numbers. this year even slumpling badly in april, he is still on pace for 30HR which is not bad at all. i see his AVG going up from now on...he only got out of his slump cuz he started to lay off some of the away pitches being throwing at him...and i tell you, there was pretty much all they were throwing at him at the beginning of the year. i don't think anyone was counting on wells for SB this year. he has never stolen double digits bases in his major league career, he has the speed, but the jays won't run, so don't expect him to help you in that department. if you look at the split numbers from 2003 you can see that he hit .344 after the all star break, he definitely capable of doing that again IMO.

to answer the question...yes, he's good. is he gonna come close to his 2003 numbers...not this year.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby wshnats20 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:05 am

think he'll go back to 03 vernon wells next year?
wshnats20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:08 am

I think he's a pretty good buy low candidate - but he was a better grab a month ago - he's already turned the corner from his slow start.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby warrick95 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:17 am

wshnats20 wrote:think he'll go back to 03 vernon wells next year?

His independent numbers should, but I doubt his dependent numbers (R/RBI) will, because that lineup is a shade of what it was in 2003. I, as well, am a huge Wells fan and believe that he's a superb hitter.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby reznorsboy » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:39 am

Vernon is gonna get you HR's and RBI's but not much else!!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Surfs up » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:45 pm

As for Wells stealing bases. At the start of the season he was seen as a 30/30 guy.That now may be more like 30/10 I get almost that from Kevin Mench. And a better batting average.Has he really turned the corner? He really hasn't done that much the last three weeks. Its in spurts. Nothing consistant to see him getting better. Looks like I will have to ride it out.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Return to Baseball Leftovers