What is the story on Wang? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is the story on Wang?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is the story on Wang?

Postby Jedimindtric » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:01 pm

Will he stick in the rotation and does he have any value? Calling on all Yankee fans to tell me what you think. Thanks!
Jedimindtric
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:22 pm

I definately think he sticks in the rotation all year. Even if Wright and Brown get healthy at the same time, they both suck and Wang has proved he can pitch under the bright lights.

Cashman said today on the WFAN that he will disapprove of any trade that involves Wang or Cano, which makes me think he's there to stay.

Cashman also said that 200 million dollars is much more than enough, and he will not ask Steinbrenner to dig out more money, and he won't go try to accquire a 10-15 million dollar man at the all-star break. I think Wang is here to stay and I would think he'll pick up more and more value as he gets used to the big leagues.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:35 pm

Cashman also is the guy that brought us Brown, Vazquez, Wright, Weaver, Hammond, RonDL, Heredia, G. White, Miceli, Womack, and a host of other losers the past 3 or 4 years. Some clown will offer him Austin Kearns or some other stiff for Cano and Wang and....?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby gws226 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:06 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Cashman also is the guy that brought us Brown, Vazquez, Wright, Weaver, Hammond, RonDL, Heredia, G. White, Miceli, Womack, and a host of other losers the past 3 or 4 years. Some clown will offer him Austin Kearns or some other stiff for Cano and Wang and....?

You can't exactly blame cashman for all the Yankees problems. And eventhough he's brought in some not so greats, you have to give him some credit for Matsui, RJ, Sheff, & A-rod.

The Fan (NYC) had a hude discussion regarding wang and probable moves the a Yanks would make. They pointed how the Yanks have a better win % when Wang is on the mound vs any other Yankees starter this year. But admitted that Wang & Cano are the only likely candiates to be moved if the Yanks make a move. Wang would also be the odd man out in a situation where Brown & Wright are healthly (not neccasarily because they are superior players.) For now I'd say Wang is a short-term fillin on rosters that carry 7 pitchers.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:14 pm

Sheff=George
Matsui=George
RJ=George
Arod=Cashman
Giambi=George

All the others I listed previously=CASHMAN

Cashman in the past 3 or 4 years has been about as consistently wrong as it gets. Shockingly wrong in pitching talent.

As to deals, who knows what this knucklehead is going to do. George will probably never cut bait even if the Yanks are 10 games out come July 31st (a distinct possibility given the upcoming schedule). The Wild Card looks like it is not a possibility also with the way the WSox and Twins are playing. However, common sense dictates that if you are in 3rd, 10 games out at the end of July it is time to trade away departing free agents like Gordon, Brown, etc for whatever you can get prospect-wise. Never happen with George. If they do a Wang and Cano move for some overpriced aging stiff in a futility move, it woul djust be idiotic.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby djack909 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:41 pm

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:58 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------From Atrophing Testicals

djack909 wrote:
C. Wang looks good to me. I would take him over all but Patterson.

Having seen all of his starts, 2 in person, and 1 of which I was 3 rows from the field behind the edge of the left net behind the plate I feel like I have pretty good standing to be giving an opinion on Healthy Wang...

Positives
Good stuff with a fastball that gets the job done but doesn't blow anyone away (93 consistently).
Slightly herky jerky with his hesitation delivery at the top of his delivery that seems to disrupt some batters' rhythm allowing him to sneak his fastball by them.
He has tremendous command and doesn't walk many.
Poised and confident beyond his age and doesn't get rattled.
Movement on most pitches.

Negatives
His fastball gets a nice fat portion of the plate more often than I like to see and can sometimes be real straight and for batters who are looking for it and don't get thrown off on his hesitation, he will get taken deep quite a bit...

His biggest asset in my mind is his ability to completely disregard what happens to him and focus on the task at hand. It seems like if he gives up a bomb or someone really drives one off him he just doesn't care. He's the opposite of RJ in that way.

I think he is a strong option for mixed league formats but be aware that he will eventually have some outings where he gets hit up if teams properly scout his fastball and delivery because he tends to be fat on the plate too often...

I'd start him confidently against teams with few veteran and "professional" hitters but beware of starting him against teams that have real smart guys in their lineup because they may figure him out and be able to get on that fastball.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dice » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:56 pm

The temptation to bust out a dozen fantasy double entedre headlines using "Wang" and "Johnson" is growing stronger.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:45 am

The problem with Wang (other than his unfortunate last name!) is the same as all the other Yankee pitchers: they pitch on the Yankees. Personally, I think it has nothing to do with bright lights and everything to do with dim bulbs. Mel is just a terrible pitching coach. I'm not sure what more proof you need, other than that just about every good pitcher comes to the Yankees and takes a dump. If he's lucky to get traded away (Loaiza, Vaz, Weaver, Contreras, etc.) he'll revert to prior good form. Am I wrong?

Incidentally, while 99 percent of Americans pronouce "Wang" with the soft "ah" sound, the correct pronounciation in Mandarin is "Wong" I believe.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby reznorsboy » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:08 am

This guy is actually a Yankee prospect and I beleive they will actually stick with him for this reason. We shall see how it works out.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:25 pm

im pretty sure wang's here to stay unless the yankees can somehow get a young pitcher in return like a zito or schidmt (both from wfan 660). no one's really ready to say this guy can be a 15+ game winner by next year because clubs have only seen him once around. but from watching him on tv he's got pretty good stuff and he's got composure (VERY VERY IMPORTANT IN THE BRONX). but im about 95% sure that he'll stay in the rotation even wen wright and brown come back healthy. he's the steadiest pitcher the yankees have right now. i expect him to be a BIG part of the yankees future like pettite was a few years back
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers