Jason Schmidt Trade Rumors? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Schmidt Trade Rumors?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby baseball6791 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:00 pm

Deuce wrote:I noticed in this thread that everyone is either a yankee fan of a Schmidt fantasy owner. I am a Giants fan and an ex-Schmidt owner. He' not going to NY. First, what would the Giants do with either Wang or Cano. Second, the Giants are in the NL West. Probably the worst division in baseball this year. Should the Giants have so much as a five game winning streak before the trade deadline, they would be in the hunt for the division and additional players. Schmidt will be here until the end of the season unless the woes continue. In which case, you should expect the Giants to start looking for left handers of all varieties (SP, RP & OF), as well as young speed. Alex Sanchez acquired today via WW is a start in that direction.
So yankee fans, keep dreaming - you can't win 'em all.

i'm a giants fan too ;-) and i dont expect schmidty to be going anywhere unless the giants fall way behind and bonds is out for the season

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby El Guapo » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:06 pm

baseball6791 wrote:
Deuce wrote:I noticed in this thread that everyone is either a yankee fan of a Schmidt fantasy owner. I am a Giants fan and an ex-Schmidt owner. He' not going to NY. First, what would the Giants do with either Wang or Cano. Second, the Giants are in the NL West. Probably the worst division in baseball this year. Should the Giants have so much as a five game winning streak before the trade deadline, they would be in the hunt for the division and additional players. Schmidt will be here until the end of the season unless the woes continue. In which case, you should expect the Giants to start looking for left handers of all varieties (SP, RP & OF), as well as young speed. Alex Sanchez acquired today via WW is a start in that direction.

i'm a giants fan too ;-) and i dont expect schmidty to be going anywhere unless the giants fall way behind and bonds is out for the season

I have to agree with that, but I don't have anything more than my gut to back it up. It all depends on Bonds. If Bonds comes back, it makes sense to keep Schmidt. If Bonds isn't going to come back, there is a much stronger argument for dealing Schmidt.
I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Deuce » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:09 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

First of all, the Giants would PLAY Cano and Wang, considering the team is awful right now. They are young and good.

Second of all, keep dreaming Yankee fans? In case you didn't notice, there's a post by me a little while ago saying that I don't want Schmidt, I'd rather keep the prospects.

And by the way, don't count on the Giants going anywhere this year. It may be a bad division, but they are no better than the 4th best team in it.

If you check the Giants recent history, they would not play Cano or Wang, they're too young. In order to play for these Giants, you need to be at the end of your career, so you can overstay your welcome, or just walk on and let us overpay you. Either way, these two guys have too much potential to be on the current Giants.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ja515y » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:27 pm

The Phils could use him. Howard Eskin had talked about him coming to Philly. Now with Wolf out for the season they could really use a guy like schmidt. And they do have trading tools, like Ryan Howard and Gavin Floyd.
ja515y
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trot Nixon » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:39 pm

nsulham wrote:I know the Sox have been in on talks.
Ya Gammons reported this last week or so, but the Sox didn't like the way he was pitching...thats about all he said about it
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby with_pleasure » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:27 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:First of all, the Giants would PLAY Cano and Wang, considering the team is awful right now. They are young and good.

They're not good, really. Wang can't strike anybody out and has been extremely lucky (before yesterday's shelling at the hands of the Devil Rays, his BABIP was about .210. League average is about .80 points higher than that.) After his awful start, Cano has been pretty good for the last three weeks, but the Giants could get way better for a (supposedly) top 5 pitcher. They are not top prospects, they're just prospects getting the Yankee treatment. And they look pretty good in comparison to all the other dismal things happening in the Bronx. There are some GMs (and possibly Sabean included) that are seduced by hype like that, but it's important to remember that that's exactly why they're being talked about so highly: to showcase them for a trade.

And from a fantasy standpoint, they're only marginally attractive in AL-only leagues.
with_pleasure
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:52 pm

with_pleasure wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:First of all, the Giants would PLAY Cano and Wang, considering the team is awful right now. They are young and good.

They're not good, really. Wang can't strike anybody out and has been extremely lucky (before yesterday's shelling at the hands of the Devil Rays, his BABIP was about .210. League average is about .80 points higher than that.) After his awful start, Cano has been pretty good for the last three weeks, but the Giants could get way better for a (supposedly) top 5 pitcher. They are not top prospects, they're just prospects getting the Yankee treatment. And they look pretty good in comparison to all the other dismal things happening in the Bronx. There are some GMs (and possibly Sabean included) that are seduced by hype like that, but it's important to remember that that's exactly why they're being talked about so highly: to showcase them for a trade.

And from a fantasy standpoint, they're only marginally attractive in AL-only leagues.

This isn't fantasy baseball. Who gives a crap if he gets strikeouts. An out is an out. Wang can pitch. I'm not saying he's the second coming of Jason Schmidt, but he can pitch. If you've watched every start like I have, you know that.

The Giants can get much better for a "top 5 pitcher"? The "top 5 pitcher" is hurt virtually every year, and has been awful this year.

Not to mention his contract, in which if you want to keep him for longer than the rest of this year, you'll need to pick up his $10 million dollar option.

Notes of his contract:
Jason Schmidt p
4 years/$30M (2002-05)

$7.75M signing bonus (paid over 4 years, 02-05)
02:$4M, 03:$5.75M, 04:$8.5M, 05:$8.75M, 06:$10M club option ($3M buyout)
$50,000 All Star incentive
1 year/$3.2M (2001), plus $0.8M in incentives
agent: Alan Hendricks
ML service: 9.063

You really expect a team to give up two prospects like Cano and Wang, AND pay his contract? The Giants can't get better than that, I don't even think that Yankees are dumb enough to do that. I wouldn't.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:55 pm

Not to criticize Cano or Wang because I like both of them, but yes I would expect a team to pay for his contract and provide two prospects better than Cano & Wang. Consider the scenario where Baltimore, NY and Boston are all in the hunt for him at the deadline.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:58 pm

Amazinz wrote:Not to criticize Cano or Wang because I like both of them, but yes I would expect a team to pay for his contract and provide two prospects better than Cano & Wang. Consider the scenario where Baltimore, NY and Boston are all in the hunt for him at the deadline.

Well then I hope San Fran gets that from someone other than the Yankees.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:05 pm

Just what we need...another underperforming and overpaid pitcher. Man's velocity is down and has not pitched well, so why would even someone as Clueless as Cashman want him?

Forget it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers