Jason Schmidt Trade Rumors? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Schmidt Trade Rumors?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:43 pm

gofish wrote:The D'Backs have gotten a real good look @ Schmidt over their last mettings, they are 3.5 back today and I think they think they can make a run at the West this year... that may be a nice fit?

I wouldn't think they'd deal him within the division.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gofish » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:45 pm

Ahh true, I'm an owner who doesnt want to see him get shipped to the AL ;-)
gofish
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:47 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm speaking as a Schmidt owner here, not JUST a Yankee fan, lol :-b .

I can understand you wanting the trade as a Yankees fan, but as a Schmidt owner I'm not to keen on the idea of Schmidt moving over to the AL East mid-season. And considering the Yankees recent track record with high-profile pitchers it sounds like a recipe for fantasy disaster. :-[

If Schmidt continues to pitch well and the Giants decide to shop him, I can't imagine he gets traded without the other team picking up the entire contract and trading a prospect or two.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:56 pm

Cashman is on Mike and the Maddog right now and said he will not reccomend any deal that moves Cano or Wang out of New York which, if true, essentially kills any possible deal they could make to get Schmidt.

The more I think about it, the more I am shaky about Schmidt. He's a big time pitcher, but so was Vazquez and RJ when they came here. Schmidt's no youngster and has a book full of injury history.

Wang has been pretty good and the whole New York pressure thing hasn't phased him a bit. Plus he's young and that's something the Yankees need. So I can't say I'm dissappointed if they aren't interested.

I can't say I'm excited as a Yankee fan if he goes to Baltimore either, but that's good news as a Schmidt owner, with the way the O's are playing right now. Any other teams?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby great gretzky » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:58 pm

im LOVING it if he gets traded to the yankees. About 3.4 of my one league is yankee fanclub. I could probably get a total score for him in that scenario.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nsulham » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:05 pm

I know the Sox have been in on talks.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Deuce » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:28 pm

I noticed in this thread that everyone is either a yankee fan of a Schmidt fantasy owner. I am a Giants fan and an ex-Schmidt owner. He' not going to NY. First, what would the Giants do with either Wang or Cano. Second, the Giants are in the NL West. Probably the worst division in baseball this year. Should the Giants have so much as a five game winning streak before the trade deadline, they would be in the hunt for the division and additional players. Schmidt will be here until the end of the season unless the woes continue. In which case, you should expect the Giants to start looking for left handers of all varieties (SP, RP & OF), as well as young speed. Alex Sanchez acquired today via WW is a start in that direction.
So yankee fans, keep dreaming - you can't win 'em all.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:33 pm

Deuce wrote:I noticed in this thread that everyone is either a yankee fan of a Schmidt fantasy owner. I am a Giants fan and an ex-Schmidt owner. He' not going to NY. First, what would the Giants do with either Wang or Cano. Second, the Giants are in the NL West. Probably the worst division in baseball this year. Should the Giants have so much as a five game winning streak before the trade deadline, they would be in the hunt for the division and additional players. Schmidt will be here until the end of the season unless the woes continue. In which case, you should expect the Giants to start looking for left handers of all varieties (SP, RP & OF), as well as young speed. Alex Sanchez acquired today via WW is a start in that direction.
So yankee fans, keep dreaming - you can't win 'em all.

First of all, the Giants would PLAY Cano and Wang, considering the team is awful right now. They are young and good.

Second of all, keep dreaming Yankee fans? In case you didn't notice, there's a post by me a little while ago saying that I don't want Schmidt, I'd rather keep the prospects.

And by the way, don't count on the Giants going anywhere this year. It may be a bad division, but they are no better than the 4th best team in it.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TONYMONTANA » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:36 pm

nsulham wrote:I know the Sox have been in on talks.

i heard WEEI talking about it this afternoon
TONYMONTANA
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:47 pm

Most people here seem to like the idea of Schmidt moving to a high-powered AL East team. As for me, I can only imagine what might happen if Schmidt were forced out of the NL West (probably the weakest-hitting division in baseball) and into the dangerous AL East, where even the lowly D-Rays are 8th in the MLB in runs.

MLB ranking for runs scored of each division:

NL West (with SF omitted): 10, 15, 16, 24
AL East: 1, 2, 5, 8, 14

Ouch!

Luckily, because the NL West is so weak, the Giants could easily get close enough to the top of the division that they'll make a run for it. So hopefully, Schmidt will be able to stay in SF.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers