TEAM REPORT CARD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

TEAM REPORT CARD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:55 pm

I will admit, over the last month and a half or so, he has been better at coming through in big situations, and he's slowly starting to grow on me.

But off the top of my head, I can only think of two situations where, late in the game he has had hits that have sparked a rally. The first was the Giambi walkoff game against the Pirates when his 2-out single up the middle kept the game alive, and allowed them to tie the game.

The second moment was tonight. If he can continue coming through for the team in tight games, there is no choice but to give him an A+. It's not like I crapped all over the guy though, I still gave him an A-.

As for Tino, he takes alot of responsibility for that 15 out of 17 streak we had in May. Just because that was a month ago, and he's done crap since, doesn't mean you can discount what he's done. If it weren't for him, we might not be so fortunate to be only 7 games back in the East. I didn't give him like a B, or anything, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. I just don't think his overall first half performance deserves and F. He wasn't brought here to hit 40 homeruns. And his power production in one month alone, superceeded anything we could've hoped for.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:09 pm

An A- for Alex is crapping all over the guy. Nothing but an A+ is warranted. The guy plays just as hard as Jeter, if not harder, is hitting .333 with 2 outs RISP and additionally he's made several key SB's in late innings to put himself into scoring position for Matsui to drive him in.

Perhaps an F is too harsh for Tino, but a D is more worthy. He's most certainly been below average, so I can't give him a C. Giambi's better slightly better than Tino IMO, so I can't see giving Tino a C- and Giambi an F like you did.

For the money, Giambi's an F, but in terms of his play, I think he's been slightly less bad than Tino.

Also, Rivera's had 2 bad games all year and they were right at the beginning. Since then he's been incredible. Only an A+ is right for him IMO.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:23 pm

blankman wrote:An A- for Alex is crapping all over the guy. Nothing but an A+ is warranted. The guy plays just as hard as Jeter, if not harder, is hitting .333 with 2 outs RISP and additionally he's made several key SB's in late innings to put himself into scoring position for Matsui to drive him in.

Perhaps an F is too harsh for Tino, but a D is more worthy. He's most certainly been below average, so I can't give him a C. Giambi's better slightly better than Tino IMO, so I can't see giving Tino a C- and Giambi an F like you did.

For the money, Giambi's an F, but in terms of his play, I think he's been slightly less bad than Tino.

Also, Rivera's had 2 bad games all year and they were right at the beginning. Since then he's been incredible. Only an A+ is right for him IMO.

Alright, I guess I don't really see the huge difference between an A and an A+ as you. Perhaps I was a little harsh on A-Rod but I don't consider an A- as crapping all over him, same with Mo.

Look at Giambi's numbers and look at Tinos. I don't understand how you can say Giambi is better. You're looking at the last few weeks as evidence, not the whole season. Giambi's defense alone warrants him an F.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:39 pm

This looks fun I'll go for it:

C: B+
Posada is a very good catcher and has been even better this year. A little to easy to steal on though

1B: F
Giambi and Tino Martinez are way beyond their prime.

2B: B
Cano, Womack
Cano has played very well especially considering his age. Womack has been very versitile

3B: A+
Arod nuff said

SS: B+
Jeter has been one of the most consistent hitters/Fielders in the league

RF: A
Sheffield great ARM Great Bat

CF: F
Who the heck is the center fielder? Did I see womack out there yesterday?

LF: B
Matsui, Womack, whoever
Matsui's power is down but his RBI's are great and he's a decent fielder.

SP: F-
They have been completely horrible across the board.
RJ has been mediocre, Pavano has been an enormous bust, Brown has been terrible, Mussina hasn't been at all consistent, Jaret Wright is on the DL. Wang is the only upside for the foreseable future

RP: F
Gordon Stinks, Rivera is good as usual, Everyone else stinks
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:47 pm

Gordon stinks? Come on now acs

Having looked a little at numbers, I have to agree that Tino's been slightly less bad than Giambi, other than AVG and OBP. Both have been below average though.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:25 pm

blankman wrote:Gordon stinks? Come on now acs

Having looked a little at numbers, I have to agree that Tino's been slightly less bad than Giambi, other than AVG and OBP. Both have been below average though.

No doubt. They need to find someone to play 1st.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dimaggio5 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:22 am

POSITION PLAYERS:
Jorge Posada- C+
Still a very good offensive catcher but you have to wonder if age is finally catching up to him. Could we have expected anything better than a C to B this year from him?

Tino Martinez- B-/C+
Carried the Yanks when they ran off a winning streak and showed some flashes of a greater time in recent Yankee history. Definitely proved that the Yanks should have kept him over Giambi in 2001. Solid team player and can still field with the best of them. His intangibles to the team are too valuable to measure

Robinson Cano- B-/C+
Decent glove and he can stroke the ball at the major level. Makes rookie mistakes but is still learning and this is expected. Should be a very solid to above average player. Since he really turned it up over the last 2 1/2 years and has exceeded most expectations, one has to wonder if he could be the start of something really special. Sometimes there are players that come out of no where and just exceed everyone's expectations of them. Remember how a kid named Mattingly crept up on the Yanks in 83 from out of no where.

Alex Rodriguez- A-

Still adjusting to NY and 3B which was expected. Starting to show the Yanks what they traded for. Has to become more clutch but that should all come together as he becomes more comfortable and another team leader on the Yanks as opposed to being one of the players amongst the clubhouse stars. Other than Tino for 1 month he was the only other reliable power stick in the lineup.

Derek Jeter- B+
Not having a typical Jeter year but still a good one. Still brings more intangibles to the Yanks than one realizes. Other than Tino and Bernie, is the only true effective player from the glory days of the Yankees left on the team. The fire still burns inside of him and one can only hope the young kids and some newer Yankees feed or learn from that competetive fire inside of him. God he's 31 years old now.

Hideki Matsui- B-/C+
Struggled greatly after a torrid 1st week of the season. Still a fundamentally sound and well schooled player. Has alot of baseball savvy and instincts. Should pick it up in the second half. Very important component if the Yanks are to win this year and for years after.

Bernie Williams- D-/F
Bernie gets by with his pride these days and that might not be enough. Defense never his strong suit is now the chink or gap in his armour. Just awful. Very sorry to see him decline so fast and far and at the rate he is. Occasionally shows some flashes of his past when hitting but looks so feable at times that I really feel so very bad for him. Time to bow out gracefully Bernie and let us remember the classy clutch player you once were.

Gary Sheffield- B+/B
Good production but there are times I just wish he'd get more productive at bats. Gary, please cut down on the swing and stop trying to hit 10 run home runs. Wish he's take the ball to right more as he has power to that field. Still wish we had Vlad over him. A star but never the leader.

Tony Womack- F

Thank you Tampa for locking us up for 2 years in Womack. A model veteran player however to place so much value in a player who was never hitting machine was foolhardy. A career 230-260 hitter whose prowness as a prolific base stealer disappeared around the the time Showalter was fired from Arizona. Tampa brain trust should have remembered that Showalter tried to make Womack a RF in 1999 or 2000 but that experiment cost Arizona a trip to the WS when Womack dropped a catchable fly ball in right in game 5 or 7 thus allowing the Mets to tie the score and set the stage for Ventura's extra inning grand slam to seal the Diamondbacks fate. Great player reseach and evaluation Tampa. Keep up the good work.

Jason Giambi- F
A horrible mistake and signing. Now with an aging Tino basically matching or besting him offensively and defensively it just heightens how bad Giambi's signing was. One thing to say... STEROIDS withdrawal syndrome

STARTING PITCHING:
Randy Johnson- F
Randy Johnson where are you????? Does not dominant anymore. K's less than 1 batter per inning, has a ERA above 4, a WHIP around 1.2 I believe. This from a guy who averaged over 1 K an inning, a sub 1 WHIP and a ERA around the low 2 only within the last 2 years. Use to eat lefties alive but now even the Devil Rays lefties are stoking him. Kinda think his knee and the lack of cartledge is causing the drop off or it just may be that he's old, done and declining.

Mike Mussina- B
The only consitent SP the Yanks have. Mr Consistancy. Problem is he a year older and getting older. How many more years can we expect from him. Wish he'd finally get his WS ring with the Yanks

Carl Pavano- D+
Overpaid for thanks to the keen evlauation by the Tampa staff however he is not a bad pitcher. He is a very good pitcher whom just has to acclimate and adjust AL and AL East baseball. At times has shown some of his pitching prowness from last year, Will never dominant games with a great WHIP, ERA and Ks but will keep the Yanks in the game until the offense comes alive. Problem is the offense never wakes up. Almost a Jimmy Key clone and should do very well in NY once he;s adjusted to AL baseball but he just needs time. Should not disappoint next year.

Kevin Brown- F
Thanks Cashman and thanks for Jeff Weaver too.

Chien-Ming Wang- C+
Like Ted Lilly and Halsey before him has shown that he has the potential to pitch in NY. Nerves and fortuitude of steel. Nothing phases this kid. A very sold prospect and pitcher. Will never dominant lineups but will always keep the games close like Pavano. Will be a very solid 4-5 starter if the Yanks don;t trade him and give him a chance to stay in NY. However with George's fickleness you just never know. It's difficult to find pitchers who can handle the pressure of pitching for the Yanks and rare to find rookies who can. The Yanks had 3 and traded 2. Let's hope the mistake is not repeated.

BULLPEN:
Paul Quantrill- F
Thanks Tampa

Buddy Groom- C+
Has pitched rather effectively as a lefty reliever. Bargain basement find. Can't argue with his production and results when compared to the other high priced pithcers in the bullpen whom can;t get it done.

Mike Stanton- F
Why? A trade of garbage (Heredia) for garbage. Question is was this a Tampa or Cashman evaluation.

Tanyon Sturtze- C-
LAst year he was a bargain basement darling but this year he is another bullpen excess waste. Has moments of quality but then has moments where we remember why he was so cheap to get from Tampa. Must be more consistant and show some of the same form of last year.

Tom Gordon- B-/C+
Other than the first 6 months of his Yankee career Gordon has not been so automatic in setting up Rivera since last years playoffs began with Minnesota. One has to begin wondering now if he can ever pitch under pressure or big game situations. He really hasn;t been the same since the Redsox and Ortiz shredded him in teh ALCS and one has to wonder if his confidence is shaken somewhat. Remember that when Gordon was a Bosox about 5 years back he was torn to bits in the playoffs too when he was the Bosox closer. I believe it was agianst the Indians or Orioles but I think it was the Indians. He came into some games for the Bosox with the series on the line during the ALDS and came apart very ugly. Ripped and shredded. This was the past and then there was last year. One has to wonder if Gordon can ever execute in pressure situations.

Mariano Rivera- A
Mr Sandman and same ole same ole. Just sad that he's one year older and won;t get any younger while the Yanks aren;t getting any better. When he retires, the Yanks will realize that Rivera was the most important piece of that championship run. More important and valuable than even Jeter.

COACHING STAFF:

Joe Torre- B-
Defintely not his fault more a Tampa issue as he was given this team to work with. He difinitely misses Don Zimmer as the difference between Giradi and Zimmer is night and day. Zimmer is old fashion old school baseball. Giradi will be a great manager one day but Zimmer's value was just too great to overcome.

Don Mattingly- INC
Difficult to rate a first time batting coach especially when the offense is not clicking and he has to work with a bunch of hackers and free swingers which the Yanks are. I will wait a year or two to see how Cano and a few others respond.

Mel Stottlemyre- C+/D
Same as Torre. Is the pitching woes his problem or a product of working with what your given. Not his fault he was given either a injured RJ or declining star, a year older Mussina, a way past his prime Brown, a one year wonder plus arm problem Wright, and a Pavano adjusting to the AL East. Pavano just has to get used to the AL style of baseball. They say a teacher is only as good as his student's potential well Mel has really gotten some ugly dogs recently and there was and is no way to save these frogs.

Joe Giraldi- INC
The potential is there and I gotta believe that when Torre retires it will be Joe and not Mattingly whom will manage the Yanks. Project in Progress and should be a good manager one day.

MANAGEMENT:

George Steinbrenner - F
You have to admire his commitment to the Yankees and his desire to win. However it seems that you can never teach an old horse new tricks and George never learned how to build and maintain a championship team. He is as much responsible for this current quagmire as Cashman is and Tampa. He ruined the Yanks in 79 had a reprive and ruined them again in 81 had another reprive in 95 and now is back to his old ways. How much more dysfunctional can you get when you have leadership in both Tampa and New York and you play each side off against each other plus you have a unspoken bias against New York whom was responsible for creating the championship teams from 96-2000. George when will you finally learn and stop alienating the advisors whom have the best interest of the Yanks and you at heart. Billy Connors is just looking for someone to buy him a free lunch and dinner and your that sucker.

Brian Cashman - F
An overwhelming F. He is a very mediocre GM with no feel or insight for players whether his own or others. So clueless in his evaluations and trading that he sometimes behaves like a fantasy baseball GM trading assets because he just happened to read the Batting and Pitching leaders or game box scores in the papers. I wouldn;t be surprised if he posted on the Yahoo or FBC boards to get baseball advice on trades or player evaluations. Anyone can trade or manage a team of stars when they have a payroll of 200 million and a fanatical fan base of Yankee fans. However it is the GMs like Gene Michael, Omar Minaya, Bouton in I think Washinton, Sabean in SF, Jokety in St Loo, Williams in Chisox whom are head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe Billy Beane too but I'm not a fan of money ball and I have to wonder how things would change if Oakland had a 200 million payroll too for better or worse. Cashman you are a pretender and a rankl amatuer. IN other words...you suck.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:13 am

Great writeup but is this a typo??

Derek Jeter- B+
Not having a typical Jeter year but still a good one. Still brings more intangibles to the Yanks than one realizes. Other than Tino and Bernie, is the only true effective player from the glory days of the Yankees left on the team. The fire still burns inside of him and one can only hope the young kids and some newer Yankees feed or learn from that competetive fire inside of him. God he's 31 years old now.

Tino and Bernie mentioned as the only true effective player left but no mention of Posada or Rivera?? 8-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby dimaggio5 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:50 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Great writeup but is this a typo??

Derek Jeter- B+

Tino and Bernie mentioned as the only true effective player left but no mention of Posada or Rivera?? 8-o

My bad here and a definite typo....I guess you can probably tell that Tino and Bernie are favorites of mine and Posada is the "red headed stepchild". I could never forget Mo "The Yankee Hammer" when the hammer comes down the game is over. When I was discussing Jeter I was concentrating on position players and omitted the pitching. Mo is definitely a crucial and still effective component of the Yank's chances for the championship. As much as I value Jeter as a Yankee I think Mo has more value to them. Mo was the only Yankee who was constantly called in to put our fires with the games on the line. If the Yankees won 60 post season games during the 95-01 run, Mo was responsible for getting the Yanks out of trouble in about 45 of them. I can hardly ever remember Mo not having to pitch more than an inning to ensure a Yankee victory. I have to believe that if the Yankees did not have Mo, the 95-00 dynasty would have totally different results. The Sandman Cometh...game over.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:48 pm

Overall C-
- I'd give the team a worse grade but considering the injuries and the problems with the pitching we're 1/2 game out. How can I really complain about that?

C Posada C-
- Not the Posada of old but his defense has been average and his bat average. I don't feel comfortable with him in a big spot anymore so that's why I gave the minus.

1B Giambi B-
- If Giambi had started the season off the way he is hitting right now you would all be saying A-. I dropped him a grade for a slow start. His fielding hasn't been bad lately at all. he's also provided some big hits and his OBP is through the roof since he's been at 1B full time.

2B Cano B
- His defensive consistency needs a little work and he's not a situational hitter yet but those are normal signs for a young player and shouldn't penalize him too much. I like what I've seen, how could you not?

SS Jeter B
- I honestly think Gary Sheffield is starting to look like the leader of this team lately. Jeter has put up good numbers, played pretty good defense, but he has been atrocious in big spots and hasn't been the leader that I expect him to be in pulling this team together.

3B ARod A
- If his defense was as good as last year I'd give him an A+. He is starting to put it together in a big spot and he had me going absolutely bananas against Boston this weekend. Without Manny and Ortiz's RBI's and Damon's Avg we would be talking triple crown numbers...

LF Matsui B+
- Got cold in mid April through what seemed like till late May but has been en fuego lately and still makes me excited in a big spot. I've gotten what I've expected from him and teams still hate facing him.

RF Sheffield A+
- Frankly he's been a leader for this team lately. I know how he mouths off to the media and is perceived to have a bad attitude but it seems like the team is really responding to him. When you have a superstar bunch you need a guy who produces day in and day out who's tough (Physically, Mentally, Emotionally) to lead them. Sheff has been that guy.

CF Bernie C+
- His defense has been bad this season and he started real slow with the bat but I'm being generous with his grade because he's taken his career downturn in stride and put the team first. He is still lethal in a big spot and has heated up a little bit with the bat. Looks like Bernie will be in CF for the rest of the year and I don't have much of a problem with it. He's been the scapegoat for the team's sluggish play and I don't think it's fair.

DH Sierra C-
- Still can be a nice bat off the bench but he's pretty much a liability on defense.

Bench
Tino D+
- The + for the nice month of May and solid defense, but he's been garbage lately. Thanks for turning back the clock for us in May Tino.
Womack F
- Disgusting to watch. I can't believe we chose this guy over Miguel Cairo.
Flaherty C-
- He still can't hit or throw anyone out but he seems to be catching the Unit well.

Starters
Randy C-
Pavano D
Wright F
Brown D-
Mussina B-
Wang C (for getting hurt and playing with my heart)
Leiter A++
Henn F-
Redding F-
May F-
Small F- (For future performance resembling Tim Redding)

Bullpen
Rivera A
- Would be A+ if he hadn't embarrassed himself against Boston opening weekend. He's been as good as ever lately.

Gordon A-
- No complaints. He still gives me the shakes in big spots or he would be an A.

Sturtze B+
- Been pretty consistent but not exactly lights out. Just think if we didn't have him...

Stanton/Quantrill F--

Groom D

Proctor B
- I like what I see out of him. I think he can be productive for us down the stretch. Throws gas.

Franklin/That other new kid whose name escapes me right now Incomplete
- I need to see more from these guys but I certainly like them more than Stanton and Quantrill.

Torre D+
- He's made so many poor moves that I can't begin to count them and this team has taken too long to respond to him.

Stottlemeyer C
- I can't blame the injuries on him. Been a scapegoat for no reason.

Cashman/Front Office D+
- Pavano, Wright, Womack, Cabrera. Only thing that saves them is bringing up Cano and Wang and getting Al Leiter.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to New York Yankees