100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

TEAM REPORT CARD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

TEAM REPORT CARD

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:23 pm

[Reserved for the actual report card]
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:23 pm

Something we're going to do this year at the Cafe' is a report card for all the teams. Give grades for all positions, be them good or bad, opinions on what will happen in the second half, and opinions on what has happened so far in the first half.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome as this is a group project for each team's fans. Let's hear what all my fellow Yankee fans have to say! ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:25 pm

This is a serious project. I welcome all opinions but please keep them civil. If anyone wants to see a sample, check this out. More or less is welcome.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=139429
Lofunzo

Postby Rirruto » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:11 pm

How do we do this for the Mets forum? Should we wait for a moderator to start one or can anyone create it?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:14 pm

I will start one right now.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:00 pm

Here's a go at it, no descriptions though and I didn't have any numbers in front of me when I made this.

C Posada B
1B Tino F
2B Cano B- (considering his age)
3B Alex A+
SS Jeter A
LF Matsui A
CF Bernie F
RF Sheffield A
DH Giambi D-
Womack F

Randy C+
Pavano A- on the road, D at home: overall C-/D+
Brown F
Mussina B-
Wang C

Pen
Quantrill D
Stanton D
Sturtze B
Gordon A
Rivera A+

Torre B (past saves him a lower grade)
Mel F--------- (just terrible over the past few years; if there was a lower grade, I'd give it to him)
Mattingly C+ (not real sure about this; some hitters are perfoming but many aren't)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:19 pm

POSITION PLAYERS:
Jorge Posada- C+
Awful start but has picked it up as of late. Has pretty respectable numbers for a catcher.

Tino Martinez- C-/D+
Definately disagree with blankman on this. I think alot of people forget that he has 13 homeruns. That's alot of offense that he provided for us in May, when we were on a tear. He's been really, really slow over the last month or so, which is why his grade still sucks, but his early offensive production, plus his defense boost him up.

Robinson Cano- B-
Considering how young he is, he's been one of the more consistent players over the last month. His range in the field isn't great, but he has a decent glove and has proved he can hit at a major league level.

Alex Rodriguez- A-
Numbers are amazing but alot of that production came in blowout games, etc. Still hasn't come through in a really big situation.

Derek Jeter- B
Numbers on the surface are decieving. He's got 10 homers, .300 average, etc. But he's batting .200 with RISP. That is awful. Knocks him down a full letter grade in my book.

Hideki Matsui- B
Doesn't deserve an A. His numbers only really started looking good over the last few weeks, mainly when he hurt his ankle. He was ice cold for a good month, and I'm not forgetting that while writing my grade.

Bernie Williams- D
Defense has been so awful I can't even describe it but he can still hit a little bit. He's come through with some clutch base hits and can still get on-base. Plus his overall attitude just helps his grade. Alot of people would complain with the way he gets treated, but not him.

Gary Sheffield- A
The most consistent player on the team. Great numbers all-around.

Tony Womack- F
Awful defense. Awful bat.

Jason Giambi- F
The worst defense I may have ever seen. His bat is absolute crap as well.

STARTING PITCHING:
Randy Johnson- D+
A couple of good starts against Pittsburgh, etc. don't make up for the trash he's been giving out on the mound for the entire year.

Mike Mussina- C
Been great at times, awful at others. Don't know what to make of him.

Carl Pavano- D+
He's been awful. Not worth any fraction of the money we paid for him.

Kevin Brown- F
Someone please release him.

Chien-Ming Wang- C+
Been the best pitcher on the team. Looks promising. He's unphased by the New York spotlight.

BULLPEN:
Paul Quantrill- D-
Buddy Groom- D
Mike Stanton- D-
All of the above have been garbage.

Tanyon Sturtze- C
Started off well, hit a wall, who knows? He's not Gordon but he's not as bad as the previous three either.

Tom Gordon- B+
Started off badly, but has been pretty good over the last month or so.

Mariano Rivera- A
Rebounded well off the horrid start against Boston. He's been very consistent since.

COACHING STAFF:
Joe Torre- C
I don't think it's his fault, but I can't give him higher than an average grade for the results thus far.

Don Mattingly- B-
It's hard to get your guys to consistently hit when your always in a hole, having to come from behind. He's done good jobs getting the most out of Sheff, A-Rod, Cano, Jeter. Can't really put alot of blame on him for not being able to get Giambi or Womack going. The guys who aren't hitting are the guys who suck. There's no helping them.

Mel Stottlemyre- F
What else can I give him? Pitching has been awful.

OVERALL NEW YORK YANKEE MIDSEASON GRADE: D-
Last edited by BronXBombers51 on Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:13 pm

Alex hasn't yet hit in a big spot? I'm sorry but I entirely disagree with this. Another clutch RBI from him tonight and he's just been getting the job done nearly every time of late. 2 outs, a guy on 2B and down by a couple and they need a hit to keep the inning alive? Alex has been getting the hits. Can't fault him for much at all of the team's struggles. Definately an A+ in my book.

Tino has 13 HR. So what? He's also hitting like .220 and most of those HR came in one hot streak. Very inconsistant, and absolutely below average for a 1B.

Additionally,

Sierra F
-Back from injury but still hitting just .210 or so with only 1 hit in his last 16 pinch hit appearances.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:29 pm

We shall see as he is coming up now in a big spot. ;-D

Let's try to keep the report card stuff here and the game commentary in the proper forum, guys.
Lofunzo

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:34 pm

There's Alex yet again.

I don't see how he could be awarded anything less than an A. He's put up huge numbers and he's getting it done in big spots now and has been for quite awhile.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to New York Yankees