Bionic Man - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Bionic Man

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DaQ » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:14 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:That is so cool. I knew real life would catch up with Star Wars at some point. ;-D

DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:03 am

JTWood wrote:
Madison wrote:As to Gattica, I'm so many heartbeats over, I'd be terrified to hear the actual number. :-o

That wasn't Gattica was it? I think I know what you're talking about - the movie where people were killed when they turned 30, or something, and these two people escaped out to find the rest of the world in shambles. It's an older movie, right?

Anyways, Gattica might actually be a bad example on my part. I don't think they were selling implants in that movie. I think it was all genetic engineering.

Sorry... :-[

Still, it was a great movie. O:-)

Umm...no, people were not killed when they turned 30 :-o . Here's the movie I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0767805712/ref=pd_sxp_f/002-6800592-1659261?v=glance&s=dvd

And a review with some of the story:

http://www.homestead.com/rhinoxsis/zMgattaca.html

Genetic engineering basically. That's what Gattaca was about. Not sure which movie you're thinking of though. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JTWood » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:20 am

Madison wrote:Genetic engineering basically. That's what Gattaca was about. Not sure which movie you're thinking of though. :-?

And I don't know which movie you were talking about. In Gattaca, they never killed anyone after a certain number of heartbeats. What movie was that? Or is that not what you meant when you said that you were "so many heartbeats over?"
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:26 am

Here's the movie I was talking about:

Logan's Run

Great movie, even if it is old. Here's the story:

IMDB.com wrote:It is 2274. Some type of holocaust has decimated the earth, and the survivors sealed themselves into a domed city near Washington, D.C. To maintain the population balance, the computers that run the city have decreed that all people must die at 30. This system is enforced by "sandmen" : black-clad police operatives who terminate (kill) "runners" (those who attempt to live beyond 30). Logan, a sandman, is sent on a mission to find "sanctuary," which is a code- word used by the master computer to describe what it believes is a place to which runners have been escaping. Logan begins to question the system he serves and after seeing for himself that there is life beyond the dome, he returns to destroy the computer.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:43 am

JTWood wrote:
Madison wrote:Genetic engineering basically. That's what Gattaca was about. Not sure which movie you're thinking of though. :-?

And I don't know which movie you were talking about. In Gattaca, they never killed anyone after a certain number of heartbeats. What movie was that? Or is that not what you meant when you said that you were "so many heartbeats over?"

People were engineered in test tubes in Gattaca and the main character was not engineered in a test tube. He was born the old fashioned way and was born with a heart condition. He was told that he wouldn't live past X number of heartbeats because the heart condition would kill him before he reached that number. In the movie, he was significantly over the number the doctors said he would never live to.

Make sense now? :-)

My heart rate is so ridiculously high that I'm sure my heart is at least twice as old as I am. My heart beats about 2.5 times for every 1 heartbeat of my wife's heart. Hence my original reference to the movie that I'm sure I'm way over on heartbeats myself. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:32 am

Madison wrote:
JTWood wrote:

People were engineered in test tubes in Gattaca and the main character was not engineered in a test tube. He was born the old fashioned way and was born with a heart condition. He was told that he wouldn't live past X number of heartbeats because the heart condition would kill him before he reached that number. In the movie, he was significantly over the number the doctors said he would never live to.

Oh yeah!!! I remember that now...

:-B
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:22 am

JTWood wrote:
Madison wrote:
JTWood wrote:

Oh yeah!!! I remember that now...

:-B

And the light turns on. :-D Glad to see you remember it now ;-D . Wasn't a very good movie, but one that has stuck in my head for some odd reason. Saw it quite some time ago, but still remember it. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:51 am

Is it because you fell head over heels for Jude Law, Mad?

:-D

j/k
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:09 am

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Is it because you fell head over heels for Jude Law, Mad?

:-D

j/k

Ummm.........No.

:-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:52 pm

reznorsboy wrote:I guess iit would be cool if your hand had like 2000 lbs of force closing it. Anyone remember Jax from Mortal Combat? You could be like him.

Yes! Absolutely classic game.

As for the bionic arms, that's awesome! On a somewhat related topic (well, not too related...but it also has to do with sci-fi-ish stuff that's becoming a reality, so this made me think of it):
http://world.honda.com/ASIMO/

This is the official website for the Asimo (named after Isaac Asimov, an awesome science fiction writer who basically invented the concept of robots as we now think of it), Honda's robot. I think I read somewhere that it's not autonomous yet (it's controlled externally), but it's still pretty cool.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk