Help....Has This Happened to Anyone? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Help....Has This Happened to Anyone?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help....Has This Happened to Anyone?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:45 pm

I got a Maxim Magazine and a Blender Magazine in the mail, addressed to me, neither of which I subscribed to, or paid for.

I went to MaximOnline.com and entered my info (name, address, etc.) to get into my subscription account and it said my magazine subscription had been ordered by some site which gives away free magazines.

I went to the site and it was like a message board with links to get free subscriptions to several magazines. I had never been to this site or anything similar previous to this, so I don't know how they were ordered to my house.

I went into the account info and changed the name and address to one of my friends, who I figured would never know it was me, and who's played pranks on me before so I don't feel really bad about doing it.

I thought I was O.K. until today when I got another Maxim magazine in the mail. Normally I wouldn't care but if my parents open the mailbox and see a magazine with a huge picture of Brittany Murphy in nothing but lingere, addressed to ME, I might be in a little bit of trouble.

I don't know how I got the subscription ordered, as I've never seen those websites before, and the change of address didn't work. I don't see anywhere where I can cancel the subscription either.

Can anyone help?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Tell your mom your dad is doing it :-D . I have no idea but dont let this get you in trouble with your parents. Just tell them the truth.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:56 pm

Well I was hoping I could find a way to just cancel the subscription and be done with it without anyone else knowing.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:11 pm

Dude How old are you? Your parents would give you trouble for having a Maxim :-o It's not like there is any nudity in it!!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wkelly91 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:14 pm

Honesty is always the best policy ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:16 pm

reznorsboy wrote:Dude How old are you? Your parents would give you trouble for having a Maxim :-o It's not like there is any nudity in it!!

You don't know my mom then. No, she wouldn't completely flip but she probably wouldn't approve of it either. I don't really want it anyway, so I'm better off cancelling it and not risking it.

I'm 16 btw.

Is there any way to cancel a magazine subscription?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Help....Has This Happened to Anyone?

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:06 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I thought I was O.K. until today when I got another Maxim magazine in the mail. Normally I wouldn't care but if my parents open the mailbox and see a magazine with a huge picture of Brittany Murphy in nothing but lingere, addressed to ME, I might be in a little bit of trouble.

I don't know how I got the subscription ordered, as I've never seen those websites before, and the change of address didn't work. I don't see anywhere where I can cancel the subscription either.

Can anyone help?

sometimes it takes one cycle before they update your address. in any case, you could always call maxim directly and tell them not to send you any more mags. i am sure they have an 800 number somewhere.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:40 pm

This is the latest in Direct Mail marketing, and it's pretty evil imo. Basically, some company sends you a magazine for a few weeks or months, but they send you a "renewal" bill along with it.

"They" started sending me Sports Illustrated last year. I never ordered it, but I read the three free issues.

Basically, it's a ploy to trick the weak-minded into paying for something that was free.

Just sit back and do nothing and the magazines will stop coming. However, if your mom will get pissed, quote my post as proof that this stuff happens.

:-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:49 pm

JTWood wrote:This is the latest in Direct Mail marketing, and it's pretty evil imo. Basically, some company sends you a magazine for a few weeks or months, but they send you a "renewal" bill along with it.

"They" started sending me Sports Illustrated last year. I never ordered it, but I read the three free issues.

Basically, it's a ploy to trick the weak-minded into paying for something that was free.

Just sit back and do nothing and the magazines will stop coming. However, if your mom will get pissed, quote my post as proof that this stuff happens.

I got Maxim for free for about 18 months without ever asking for it. It was a good 18 months. never renewed of course. It is ridiculously cheaqp to publish a magazine, especially one like Maxim that has so many ads. It is weel worth their time to send people tons of free stuf in the hopes that a tiny % will actually pay to continue the sub.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:40 am

JTWood wrote:This is the latest in Direct Mail marketing, and it's pretty evil imo. Basically, some company sends you a magazine for a few weeks or months, but they send you a "renewal" bill along with it.

JT's right. ;-D I've seen and heard tons of stories like this one. ;-D

If you really need it cancelled, call them and tell them not to send another issue. That should put an end to it. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk