Now that's the Brian Roberts I remember. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Now that's the Brian Roberts I remember.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:23 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Roberts is a good player, and has turned the corner. He's at a good age, and his 50+ doubles last year are turning into some hrs. However the comment made that (anyone believing in the regress to the mean crap) is a bit off. Roberts is hitting .357 in 258 abs, with maybe 300 abs left. Roberts will regress some from that. I would be surprised if with at least 500 abs, he's over .330. With 67% of his hrs in April, 30 hrs seems a bit much. 20-22 sounds a bit closer.

If I can get 20 HR and 30 SB, 100 R, and a .330 AVG, thats absolutely diesel. Thats like Mike Young last year with more SB and a better average.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

phew, thought i was gonna have to post inteh fantasy soccer

Postby Frances The Mute » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:28 pm

yea that would be hot for a 2nd base draft steal. here I'll rephrase.

When does he have to have 20 hrs by to convince people he can maybe hit 30 on the year?
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Frances The Mute » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:30 pm

Whether yo believe he's going to be a homerun machine all year long, its looking like those ribbies are gonn are going to keep on coming.

As long as hes hitting in front of that healthy nasty lineup hes gonna get pitches to hit, frankly the RBI amount he's going to finish with is maybe the most spectacular part of his season.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: like, you know....

Postby The Big Papi » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:23 pm

Frances The Mute wrote:like, i don't think people really read my posts that carefully.

Yes he hit a cold spell when he was injured. !+)

He'd be even better if he could hit home runs on the DL, but like you know what I'm getting at here. ( but go ahead and bring up his slump when he was injured. brilliance)

This thread was started when Roberts was coming off injury, a day or two later he's stealing bases and hitting doubles and HRs -- he's looking healthy again and he's doing the same thing as when he was healthy BEFORE his two injuries that sidelined and impaired his stud abilities its safe to say.

So I'm curious, when are people going to buy into the 30/30 hype? Its the end of June and hes jacking meatballs. Is it just too difficult to say "yes"?

At what point do I get all the accolades?

He still had 60 ABs, and had 1 HR, you keep making it plural as if he more, no, actually he hit 1.

Yea I realize he was injured, i'm talking about when he was actually playing, but that's fine, you could say he wasn't at full strenght at those AB's.

But what about his May? Where virtually everything was done including his home runs. Shocking? He had 8 in April, all of 3 in May. He had the at bats, and he wasn't injured, you keep asking people when they will buy into the hype. Why should they? He has shown steaks of brilliance, and streaks of cold spells (see May).
The Big Papi
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Frances The Mute » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:39 pm

He has to hit 8 hrs every month? His OPS has been rocket high through april may and yea I'm going along with the theory that he was playing through injuries in june.

Roberts has been consistently badass when healthy all year long.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gws226 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:46 pm

well he is now .437 (14 for 32) 10R, 2HR, 5 RBI, 3SB during his latest hitting streak (8 games). Only rasing his avg 10 points though (.355 to .366 )

;-D
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:51 pm

I love Brian Roberts!!!

and I actually drafted him too!
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:51 pm

Maybe he took the same stuff that Brady Anderson took in 96 I believe when he hit 50+ HRs? No idea where this power explosion came from. Guy hit 4 HRs all last season. Thi sis the biggest positive surprise fo the fantasy season. And by the looks of things, this is no weak MI getting lucky on a few HRs. I would venture to guess he keeps hitting with at least some power.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mets4Life » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:01 am

gws226 wrote:well he is now .437 (14 for 32) 10R, 2HR, 5 RBI, 3SB during his latest hitting streak (8 games). Only rasing his avg 11 points though (.355 to .366 )

;-D
;-D
Mets4Life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:04 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Maybe he took the same stuff that Brady Anderson took in 96 I believe when he hit 50+ HRs? No idea where this power explosion came from. Guy hit 4 HRs all last season. Thi sis the biggest positive surprise fo the fantasy season. And by the looks of things, this is no weak MI getting lucky on a few HRs. I would venture to guess he keeps hitting with at least some power.

It's the warning track power combined with the new age contact lense and experience.

Think about having that 'just not enough power for a HR' all of your career and then suddenly being able to see the ball more clearly after a life of relatively blurred vision? I think that equals career highs in just about everything. He also put a little upper cut in his swing, (Beltran's_Boy or someone like that told me) which gives him the needed Edmonds like lift to hit HRs.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers