D Lee, Steroids - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

D Lee, Steroids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: D Lee, Steroids

Postby Octavian » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:04 pm

pibb55 wrote:You think if D Lee would have started this hot a year or two ago people would be all over him saying hes on steroids??? I mean, D Lee is a player whos never hit over .300 for a season and his career high in HRs is 32. Right now hes almost hitting .400 and on pace for 45-50+ HRs and its almost half way through the season.

Nobody uses the "he's gotta be on steroids" line anymore, when 2 years ago it was mentioned once a week about a new player it seemed. :-D

Know why no one has used it with Lee? Because it'd be flat out false. If you know baseball, you've been waiting with a lot of other people for Derrek Lee to find himself and really play up to his ability, and that's what we're seeing. It's all Derrek, and hopefully it'll just keep coming. The man is a monster. ;-D
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseballnewb » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:38 pm

We are seeing a guy that is on a huge hot streak and is breaking out at the same time. He will regress to a .280-.300 avg with good power and speed in the second half most likely, which is better than his stats the previous years but nowhere near what he is doing now.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:48 pm

I don't know if I agree that Lee's new norm will be .280-.300 but I agree with baseballnewb that there's 2 things going on with Lee...actually, I'd say 3 - 1) a breakout season where he's put all the pieces together to play up to his potential, 2) a hot streak where not only is he playing up to his potential, he's exceeding it and 3) going along with the hot streak a TON of luck.

I just wish I hadn't traded him in the league I did...I might actually have max points in all offensive categories if I'd kept him. Couldn't pass up a deal getting Ichiro though...just wish Ichiro would play up to HIS potential like Lee's doing. :(
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby LooseCannon » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:27 am

I don't think two years ago anyone would say "oh he's on steroids"...look at him he doesn't have veins popping out of his head muscles on top of his muscles.....he got better yes that is the weird thing in life people CHANGE

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:34 pm

wrveres wrote:
cookman wrote: First of all, just because a guy does or doesn't get bigger over the course of a career does not mean he is or isn't on the juice. You hear people so often say "This guy had to be on steroids because look at his size when he came into the league and his size now". Players can get bigger without the help of steroids, and, conversely, can be using steroids without getting bigger. A lot of twenty-year old kids come into the league who tend to fill into their bodies as their careers progress, and there were many relief pitchers who used steroids for a purpose very different than getting more muscle mass. The size issue with steroid use is very over-played, and most often when cited it is because a lack of any other evidence.

Second, pibb is not accusing D. Lee of being juiced. He's actually doing the opposite. He's saying, which I agree with, that if this happened two years ago, plenty of idiots would be on this forum claiming they "knew" Derrek Lee is using steroids because he came out of (relative) obscurity to have a monster year, and that no one could progress that much in one year without artificial help. While I am glad (not only for the integrity of the game but for the players' collective health) that MLB finally did something about the huge steroid problem it had on its hands, pibb's point is well-taken (at least here) that perhaps people occasionally took their witch hunts a little to far, and evidence still goes a lot further than accusations.

Excellent post ..
Excellent

I wish the sheep would listen, I really do. But I know first hand they refuse too. They are to busy gathering lumber for the next lynching.

Thanks ;-D

God shutup wrveres, we all know that you don't have to get bigger on steroids, but thats if you are like a track athlete. If you are building arm and upper body muscles instead of legs, you will look bigger. Of course unless you were huge to begin with. Which Derrek Lee wasn't.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tokugawa » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:40 pm

WittyC wrote:One look at D-Lee and you know he's not on roids. He's the exact same size he has been for his whole career.

You are all so ignorant about steroids, they don't necessarily make you bigger!!!!
There are many kinds which can enhance the performance of baseball players and not all make you a monster like Shwarzenegger.

I don't for a second think Lee is roiding, but the general ignorance on the cafe about roids is shocking.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers