Ever wonder how many baseball players play fantasy baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ever wonder how many baseball players play fantasy baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:15 pm

They cant play for money. It violates the gambling rules of baseball. I can't remember where i saw this but there was a show on this on either ESPN or FoxSports
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:12 pm

I had to do a double-take recently but after Jeter got his fifth hit the other night I swear I saw Carl Crawford going "All right!!! Yeah, baby!!" out in LF. Maybe I'm wrong but I think he is a Jeter owner.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby West » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:19 pm

This is a little unrelated, but I know that as a division I college athlete I cannot fill out a bracket for college basketball, and while I was double checking the rules for this I saw something in the student athlete code of conduct that said I couldn't play fantasy sports for money. That was a little weird. So I'm sure there is a clause in player's contracts saying they cannot play fantasy sports for money.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby reynolds80 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:46 am

I played college baseball and we'd play fantasy baseball for our own games. Before the game you would pick two players from the team, and whoever picked the two guys who did the best would win. I played only one time but I thought it was dumb, so with my first pick I picked myself even though I was a backup at the time, and for my second pick I picked a friend of mine who wasn't a starter either. I remember saying something sarcastic like "watch, I'm going to win." Everyone else was picking our starting pitcher, or our 3rd and 4th hole hitters.

I pinch hit that game, and led off the inning with a double that led to a run. We batted around that inning and when I came up again I hit a 3-run homerun. My buddy never made it in the game, but my 11 points was just enough to win. No one could believe it. I think I ate free that night.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby reznorsboy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:55 am

No
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby da1chipo » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:23 am

reynolds80 wrote:I played college baseball and we'd play fantasy baseball for our own games. Before the game you would pick two players from the team, and whoever picked the two guys who did the best would win. I played only one time but I thought it was dumb, so with my first pick I picked myself even though I was a backup at the time, and for my second pick I picked a friend of mine who wasn't a starter either. I remember saying something sarcastic like "watch, I'm going to win." Everyone else was picking our starting pitcher, or our 3rd and 4th hole hitters.

I pinch hit that game, and led off the inning with a double that led to a run. We batted around that inning and when I came up again I hit a 3-run homerun. My buddy never made it in the game, but my 11 points was just enough to win. No one could believe it. I think I ate free that night.

Haha. :-b Not too shabby. ;-D
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:33 am

West wrote:This is a little unrelated, but I know that as a division I college athlete I cannot fill out a bracket for college basketball, and while I was double checking the rules for this I saw something in the student athlete code of conduct that said I couldn't play fantasy sports for money. That was a little weird. So I'm sure there is a clause in player's contracts saying they cannot play fantasy sports for money.

well, playing for money is tentamount to betting, no?
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:37 am

Hmmm. So if Barry Bonds and Giambi were in the same league we could get something like this:

Bonds: I will trade you Bret Boone and Adrian Beltre for Jeff Kent?

Giambi: No. Boone and Beltre were roid boys. Besides I thought you hated Kent?

Bonds: Nonsense. Boone and Beltre were as clean as I am. It is all vicious propoganda by the Examiner. And Kent and I are best pals. Besides, I really do not care as long as he can hit.

Giambi: Yeah right. They were on flaxseed oil.

Bonds: Exactly.

Giambi: Still no deal.

Bonds: OK. Fine believe the lies. How about Helton for Kent?

Giambi: No. Stuff offering me roid boys.

Bonds: Helton is not a roid boy.

Giambi: Riggghttt. I want M. Cabrera and Clemens for Kent and I will throw in Furcal.

Bonds: Not a chance.

TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:39 am

Something tells me that the last thing baseball players want to think about when they get home is more baseball...

:-°
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Half Massed » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:51 am

beltrans_boy wrote:Something tells me that the last thing baseball players want to think about when they get home is more baseball...

:-°

but the possibilities... 8-o don't kill them with reality.. :-b
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers